Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 PM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times

Advertisements

People really just wake up one morning and decide they want to move to Houston??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 AM

322 posts, read 710,329 times
I'm from upstate NY. The humidity is NOTHING compared to it here. Look into the HEAT INDEX down here in Houston. Even folks in Fort Worth told me that it was TOO hot, and said I'd hate it. Yup, they were right.

In fact, I'm going to upstate ASAP as I need a break from the humidity and heat index here. And I'm from true upstate NY as an Adirondacker with mosquitos that carry away grown men in that humidity.

You mentioned Williamsburg as a type of place you'd like to live (umm...well, you did mention it, no one replied and said you were FROM Williamsburg...but you spun back that folks didn't get that you were from UPSTATE not NYC, when you REFERENCED that you wanted to live in neighborhood of Brooklyn...) - not finding anything like Williamsburg here.

You'll not find it replaced in Austin, but that is the closest you'll find in Whole Foods, organic, artsy living. And Austin folks like to use their bikes in morning and evening.

Public transportation in Texas? Do we even have that? Nope, not at all like Williamsburg. Williamsburg also has the Jewish and Cubano migrations - what specifics about Williamsburg do you enjoy? You won't find brownstones here.... or in Austin...

Folks are trying to help and there are loads of "I'm thinking of moving to Houston threads" as they said, and it could narrow your thoughts. If you love true blazing hot, how about Brownsville?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:56 AM

11 posts, read 46,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post
Based on your initial post with a music emphasis: artsy, indie, outdoor activities, music scene, laid back - Austin sounds best.

Both Austin + Houston are affordable - both are very Hot and Humid.

I lived in Houston for 11 years and never got used to the humidity. (some do adjust)

You do learn to deal with the humidity, with the help of 24/7 AC. As in all areas of the country, you trade 1 seasonal dislike for another when you relocate. The grass is always greener until you get there.

Questions to consider:

What do you guys do for a living?
Have you researched jobs in your field/areas of interest?
Do you go to school or plan to?
Do you have a car? (You'll need a car in any area of Texas)
Is outdoor fun and natural beauty is really your thing? (I say Austin)

I would research both Austin and Houston as possibilities.

Then visit them both before moving - at least 5 days in both spots. You can accomplish this in 1 trip.

Good Luck!

Well, my boyfriend might be able to transfer his job to there so that's why we're thinking of the move. We both have cars, so that's good. I plan on finding a job when I get there. We would love to visit both places, probably will once he gets an interview. thanks for your response!

Old 06-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejamiller View Post
People really just wake up one morning and decide they want to move to Houston??
haha, no I don't think so. My boyfriend has some job opportunities in Texas, one in each city (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin) so we're just trying to research them all.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
I'm from upstate NY. The humidity is NOTHING compared to it here. Look into the HEAT INDEX down here in Houston. Even folks in Fort Worth told me that it was TOO hot, and said I'd hate it. Yup, they were right.

In fact, I'm going to upstate ASAP as I need a break from the humidity and heat index here. And I'm from true upstate NY as an Adirondacker with mosquitos that carry away grown men in that humidity.

You mentioned Williamsburg as a type of place you'd like to live (umm...well, you did mention it, no one replied and said you were FROM Williamsburg...but you spun back that folks didn't get that you were from UPSTATE not NYC, when you REFERENCED that you wanted to live in neighborhood of Brooklyn...) - not finding anything like Williamsburg here.

You'll not find it replaced in Austin, but that is the closest you'll find in Whole Foods, organic, artsy living. And Austin folks like to use their bikes in morning and evening.

Public transportation in Texas? Do we even have that? Nope, not at all like Williamsburg. Williamsburg also has the Jewish and Cubano migrations - what specifics about Williamsburg do you enjoy? You won't find brownstones here.... or in Austin...

Folks are trying to help and there are loads of "I'm thinking of moving to Houston threads" as they said, and it could narrow your thoughts. If you love true blazing hot, how about Brownsville?

I don't believe I spun back on anything, I said that I can understand the lack of transportation because I live in upstate, so not sure what you're REFERENCING...also, I mentioned Williamsburg because there's nothing like that upstate, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. The artistic influences and the bubbling energy (but not as much as Manhattan, which can get overwhelming)

There are 438 threads. Why sift through all of those, when I can ask my own questions specific to my needs?

Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 AM

940 posts, read 1,902,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintpetegirl View Post
Based on your initial post with a music emphasis: artsy, indie, outdoor activities, music scene, laid back - Austin sounds best.

Both Austin + Houston are affordable - both are very Hot and Humid.
Wrong. Austin gets way less precipitation than Houston, I've lived in Austin twice. Rain is almost non-existent there in July/August, it is really hot those months, not like Arizona but greenery there does start to wilt and brown during those 2 months. Those 2 months in Houston are really humid, I've lived through 21 summers here.

If the OP is interested in the South but decides against Houston, where I've lived, and reads up on the self-important "we cool" stance in Austin and decides against that town, I suggest Nashville. Less humid than H, more so than A, not as hot as Texas. Outdoor ameneties and scenery as good as Austin, greenbelts not as spectacular but parkland way ahead. Music scene way better and historical there than Austin. Tennessee political culture as close to Texas as you can get.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:33 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikaTutu View Post
Hi!

My boyfriend and I are thinking about moving from upstate NY to Houston, and would like some advice, some discussion and opinions about living in the Houston Area. A little bit about ourselves, we're in our mid-20s, he is very passionate about music. He is a little metal, I'm a little free spirited. I would really love to live in a laid back area, nice scenery, nice people around our age. I guess a comparable area that I would like to live in is Williamsburg in Brooklyn, NY. It's artsy, indie, rocky. So do you know of any areas that are like that? but are also affordable. We would be looking into apartments/duplex/possibly condos. Also, we love the outdoors, so parks that are close by would be fabulous. We also enjoy the occasional night out and we love different, unique restaurants. I'm sure my boyfriend would like to be close to the music scene, and he loves to hike and mountain bike.

Also, how is traffic? How is the heat?!? I really dislike humidity and I feel like I can't really function in the heat, but I'm hoping that I could eventually get used to the heat in Texas. I'm done with winters! and hopefully I can handle the heat!!!

What are some good gyms to join? public transportation?

Thanks!! any advice is helpful!
The traffic can be extremely, extremely bad or it can be no big deal - that all depends on where you choose to live and where that is in relation to where you work, where you spend time and what time of day you spend it there.

Public transportation does not exist in any viable capacity here. There are some bus routes and a light rail, but they will not efficiently take you anywhere you need to go for the most part. You will need a car - possibly two.

"Affordable" is fairly flexible. Do you have a price range in mind? Off the cuff I would say you should look into apartments in Midtown, Rice Military, the Heights and maybe Greenway Plaza.

By the way, it is extremely hot and humid for about half of the year, however, if you want to be rid of winters this is a good selection. Five days of freezing temperatures through the whole season is a "bitter winter" here. You can play golf, barbecue, go to the park with the dogs in shorts and a pullover or go to the zoo in January no sweat.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikaTutu View Post
I don't believe I spun back on anything, I said that I can understand the lack of transportation because I live in upstate, so not sure what you're REFERENCING...also, I mentioned Williamsburg because there's nothing like that upstate, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere there. The artistic influences and the bubbling energy (but not as much as Manhattan, which can get overwhelming)

There are 438 threads. Why sift through all of those, when I can ask my own questions specific to my needs?
I hear Staten Island is really nice.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM

85 posts, read 350,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slnt View Post
As RVD suggests, the Heights or Montrose might be a good starting point. You might also want to look at the (by Rice University) Village. If you lived in the Village you could walk to all kinds of shops and restaurants much like NY.

Houston traffic can be really bad but, I am sure coming from New York it will seem like no big deal. Public transportation is not good here. We do have buses and a small train line (however as of right now the train only services a tiny area). If you live out in some of the suburbs there are some commuter van lines that take you into a couple of the major work areas. The public transportation system compared to New York, is laughable here but, it is something. So unless you plan to work, shop, live and play in the same area, plan on bringing a car. A car is not a luxury in Houston but a neccessity.

As far as heat and humidity, you adapt because everything is air conditioned. People go outside to excercise early, early in the morning or around dusk when the sun, and heat are not so strong. Our winters are very mild and short. We rarely ever get snow and if we do, it is basically a dusting.

You might also want to consider a move to Austin. There you will find a big music scene and great scenery.
I once heard the British foreigh service used to consider Houston and Calcutta hardship posts.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I hear Staten Island is really nice.
oh, you must be from there..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston