Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 11:27 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Dallas looks just like Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, and Charlotte. Cool photos!

Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
The photo above of Dallas Uptown is but one very small part of Uptown, and that is actually mostly the Harwood District, which is an office/condo area. The main part of Uptown would include McKinney Avenue, which is lined with all sorts of restaurant/bars/condo/apartments/outdoor patios, State-Thomas which is densely packed with condos/townhomes, etc..., the West Village, which is loaded with shops, restaurants and apartments. The streets are always bustling, and their is a free trolley system that runs right down the middle of it, and it is a block from a Dart subway station. In addition, the Uptown area is within a mile or two of other similarly urban, walkable districts. Say what you will, but I used to live in Houston for many years and still go there all the time and the Midtown and Uptown areas of Houston can in no way compare to the urban areas of Dallas, they are just too spread out with too much dead space in between. The leaders of Dallas all seem to be on board now with the idea that in order for Dallas to be the city that we all want it to be, it must be dense, urban, and walkable.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Show a picture then.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
The photo above of Dallas Uptown is but one very small part of Uptown, and that is actually mostly the Harwood District, which is an office/condo area. The main part of Uptown would include McKinney Avenue, which is lined with all sorts of restaurant/bars/condo/apartments/outdoor patios, State-Thomas which is densely packed with condos/townhomes, etc..., the West Village, which is loaded with shops, restaurants and apartments. The streets are always bustling, and their is a free trolley system that runs right down the middle of it, and it is a block from a Dart subway station. In addition, the Uptown area is within a mile or two of other similarly urban, walkable districts. Say what you will, but I used to live in Houston for many years and still go there all the time and the Midtown and Uptown areas of Houston can in no way compare to the urban areas of Dallas, they are just too spread out with too much dead space in between. The leaders of Dallas all seem to be on board now with the idea that in order for Dallas to be the city that we all want it to be, it must be dense, urban, and walkable.
This is what I meant when I said that bigger isnt better. In these debates people are quick to start posting souless pics of skylines and the like. If you don't work in any of those buildings, it means little in the grand scheme of things. DC is probably one of the most vibrant,bustling cities and it has no skyline at all. When it comes to street level activity, Uptown Dallas wins. I grew up in Houston. Like I said, Houston's downtown is better but Uptown Dallas is superiour to Houston's right now. Uptown Houston isn't nearly as walkable as uptown Dallas nor does it have the public transportation options that Dallas has.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:05 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think Uptown Houston looks far better than Uptown Dallas. No contest at all.
It really doesn't.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
This is what I meant when I said that bigger isnt better. In these debates people are quick to start posting souless pics of skylines and the like. If you don't work in any of those buildings, it means little in the grand scheme of things. DC is probably one of the most vibrant,bustling cities and it has no skyline at all. When it comes to street level activity, Uptown Dallas wins. I grew up in Houston. Like I said, Houston's downtown is better but Uptown Dallas is superiour to Houston's right now. Uptown Houston isn't nearly as walkable as uptown Dallas nor does it have the public transportation options that Dallas has.

And I would venture to say that downtown Dallas is gaining quickly on downtown Houston, if it is not actually already there. It might have less buildings, but lots of buildings do not a vibrant downtown make. The things they are doing in downtown Dallas right now are absolutely amazing, especially considering how far it had gone down. The new parks, convenience stores, restaurants, buildings converted into housing, arts facilities, etc... in downtown Dallas are making it a truly urban experience. When you add in the densification and improvement effors of some other close-in areas like Lower Greenville, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Design District, Knox/Henderson, this is becoming a really neat city. I think the leaders of the City of Dallas finally get it. It is an exciting time to be in this City.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Say what you will, but I used to live in Houston for many years and still go there all the time and the Midtown and Uptown areas of Houston can in no way compare to the urban areas of Dallas, they are just too spread out with too much dead space in between.
You used to live here, but Houston of a few year ago doesn't equal Houston today.

Midtown has changed a lot. That area around West Gray just SW of DT is a lot more developed this past decade.

The Midtown area is a lot more unified. If you say that it is few and far inbetween then you have stayed away too long.

The west side of the inner loop and then going into Midtown is the most urban area of Texas without a doubt.

Go on Google maps and see how the high density complexes extend for a lot wider area than say the State Thomas area.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
And I would venture to say that downtown Dallas is gaining quickly on downtown Houston, if it is not actually already there. It might have less buildings, but lots of buildings do not a vibrant downtown make. The things they are doing in downtown Dallas right now are absolutely amazing, especially considering how far it had gone down. The new parks, convenience stores, restaurants, buildings converted into housing, arts facilities, etc... in downtown Dallas are making it a truly urban experience. When you add in the densification and improvement effors of some other close-in areas like Lower Greenville, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Turtle Creek, Design District, Knox/Henderson, this is becoming a really neat city. I think the leaders of the City of Dallas finally get it. It is an exciting time to be in this City.
again you have been away too long. Houston has been doing a lot to imporve downtown. You can't compare Dallas with its new developments to Houston when you lived there years ago.

You think its just Dallas doing things? Areas like Discovery Green, Market Square, Houston Pavillions, The rail, etc are changing DT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
It really doesn't.
we will have to maintain different opinions then.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You used to live here, but Houston of a few year ago doesn't equal Houston today.

Midtown has changed a lot. That area around West Gray just SW of DT is a lot more developed this past decade.

The Midtown area is a lot more unified. If you say that it is few and far inbetween then you have stayed away too long.

The west side of the inner loop and then going into Midtown is the most urban area of Texas without a doubt.

Go on Google maps and see how the high density complexes extend for a lot wider area than say the State Thomas area.

I was there last weekend, and the month before that, and the month before that. To make statements like "The west side of the inner loop and then going into Midtown is the most urban area of Texas without a doubt", is just your opinion and should not be stated as fact.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I was there last weekend, and the month before that, and the month before that. To make statements like "The west side of the inner loop and then going into Midtown is the most urban area of Texas without a doubt", is just your opinion and should not be stated as fact.
my opinion is fact.

Its not my fault you didn't see Midtown or the new developments in the Loop when you were here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston