Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 03:32 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_residents View Post
Plan A is Telfair zone to Clements. Plan B is Telfair zone to Austin. Plan A is long term solution. Plan B is short term fix and will rezone in 3-5 years. However BOT favors plan B due to community feedback.
And by "community feedback" it seems it is a rather small/tight but vocal group(s). Rather than data or other communities who are smaller or newer/less established and don't have the same influence. Which is really unfortunate and part of the reason for this mess in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM

377 posts, read 1,346,067 times
It appears Dupre is trying to please everyone...He should stick to the data, if he really wants to clean the mess.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 PM

188 posts, read 349,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I heard they placed the Riverstone ES back to FSMS. Avalon in Riverstone is being moved to Clements and be part of Commonwealth zone.

Creekstone in Riverstone looks like will no longer be in the new ES.

I don't know about the rest.
So, all this is confirmed info? It means that Telfair will go to Austin and not clements?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:51 PM

392 posts, read 754,932 times
I think it's time for Telfair people to step up and start acting on this. Telfair, as well as Riverton, are full of young families with small kids, so those families should work on providing stability for their kids.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly in sweet land View Post
So, all this is confirmed info? It means that Telfair will go to Austin and not clements?
As I understand, nothing is confirmed until early next year. Right now is just proposals and feedback.

The proposal having Telfair go to Clements seems to make the most sense both by numbers and by distance, but I'm still waiting for this district to actually do something based on data and not by who protested the loudest.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 AM

188 posts, read 349,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
As I understand, nothing is confirmed until early next year. Right now is just proposals and feedback.

The proposal having Telfair go to Clements seems to make the most sense both by numbers and by distance, but I'm still waiting for this district to actually do something based on data and not by who protested the loudest.
Agree 100%. If the loudest protests only can get the work done, that's setting a bad trend. Need extra time, energy and efforts from our actual jobs to be loud. Giving our opinition in survey and ground facts like distance, and future overcrowding issue of Austin school etc. should matter to FBISD than loudness.Austin is not at all a bad option. But distance wise Clements makes better choice for Telfair.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:23 AM

164 posts, read 364,421 times
Avalon at Telfair was zoned to Clements a few years ago. Now Avalon at Riverstone will zone to Clements. Same builder. It is very fishy. Avalon at Riverstone has many homes to be built. Once they zone to Clements, builder will raise price like they did to Avalon at Telfair.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Avalon at Telfair was zoned to Clements a few years ago. Now Avalon at Riverstone will zone to Clements. Same builder. It is very fishy. Avalon at Riverstone has many homes to be built. Once they zone to Clements, builder will raise price like they did to Avalon at Telfair.
Good point..

Old 11-19-2014, 11:26 AM

118 posts, read 207,381 times
Quote:
Plan A is Telfair zone to Clements. Plan B is Telfair zone to Austin. Plan A is long term solution. Plan B is short term fix and will rezone in 3-5 years. However BOT favors plan B due to community feedback. (Riverstone and Clements old communities are against plan A)

If BOT decide to go with plan B, Walker Station will zone to Travis. New Territory will be pissed. So is Aliana.
As a resident of the the west side of NT, I would be incredibly amused if such a plan went through. I know at least a dozen families who moved to the east side of NT over the last 8 years, only because they wanted to send their kids to Austin HS. My oldest attends Travis, and it's a very solid high school. There's a little riff-raff there right now, but all of the plans show those neighborhoods being re-zoned to Bush HS.

People put way too much emphasis on the zoning boundaries of these schools. The bricks and the historical rankings of a school have a negligible effect on the quality of an education provided. The single, largest factor is having a school full of kids with parents that care about their education. I chose my neighborhood solely because of this. It doesn't matter where they send us, our neighborhood will raise these fickle rankings just by being loaded full of like-minded families who pay attention to their childrens' education.

Old 11-19-2014, 12:31 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
As a resident of the the west side of NT, I would be incredibly amused if such a plan went through. I know at least a dozen families who moved to the east side of NT over the last 8 years, only because they wanted to send their kids to Austin HS. My oldest attends Travis, and it's a very solid high school. There's a little riff-raff there right now, but all of the plans show those neighborhoods being re-zoned to Bush HS.

People put way too much emphasis on the zoning boundaries of these schools. The bricks and the historical rankings of a school have a negligible effect on the quality of an education provided. The single, largest factor is having a school full of kids with parents that care about their education. I chose my neighborhood solely because of this. It doesn't matter where they send us, our neighborhood will raise these fickle rankings just by being loaded full of like-minded families who pay attention to their childrens' education.

Well said. Kids who want to learn and parents who care. That is what it boils down to in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston