Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 05:12 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,089 times

Advertisements

The Texas Department Of Economic Development just let a big fish slip away (Microsoft). I cant believe that they only offered 1.3 million in incentives. I'll try to be nice but this is an outrage.
They also let Amazon get away. We may need to dethrone these guys.
Recently The University Of Texas was denied the opportunity to build a Huge Data Research Center because it might create competition for the U of H.
Dont think that Texas doesn't have corruption and politics?.
There are always people in power in this state with personal interests and then they use their position to please a few of their friends.
That's why there is no light Rail on the west side of Houston because of another corrupt politician who snuck a blockage of Light Rail into the federal budget.

https://houstonnewmedia.org/microsof...ad-of-houston/

Last edited by jd433; 12-17-2019 at 05:33 PM..

Old 12-17-2019, 05:28 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,569,817 times
There are people in power who have NO BUSINESS being in authority. Do folks realize the economic impact that Microsoft, Amazon or the Data Research Center from UT could've had on the city? I guess we'll never know. Someone's loss is another's gain.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:31 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,982,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
There are people in power who have NO BUSINESS being in authority. Do folks realize the economic impact that Microsoft, Amazon or the Data Research Center from UT could've had on the city? I guess we'll never know. Someone's loss is another's gain.
Right. Imagine if all three were here along with light rail in the western inner loop. Heck even remove Amazon and you'd still see a different Houston. The city dors not have good leadership at all. That and if it's not on the I-35 Corridor then the state won't pony up enough money.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:29 PM

3,171 posts, read 2,060,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Right. Imagine if all three were here along with light rail in the western inner loop. Heck even remove Amazon and you'd still see a different Houston. The city dors not have good leadership at all. That and if it's not on the I-35 Corridor then the state won't pony up enough money.
Completely agreed. The data center burned me up the most because it was such a naked display of personal/political interests getting in the way of tangible progress - the development of that site would have been a catalyst for further development in that part of the city imo. Huge missed opportunity.

The leadership in Houston (I'd say moreso the region than specifically the city) hasn't been forward-looking and proactive for years - far too complacent and focused on the now. Not willing to really fight to get us state money. You even see it now with this Harvey funding, just weak leadership not bringing home the bacon.We deserve better.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:50 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
The Texas Department Of Economic Development just let a big fish slip away (Microsoft). I cant believe that they only offered 1.3 million in incentives. I'll try to be nice but this is an outrage.
Recently The University Of Texas was denied the opportunity to build a Huge Data Research Center because it might create competition for the U of H.
There are always people in power in this state with personal interests and then they use their position to please a few of their friends.
That's why there is no light Rail on the west side of Houston because of another corrupt politician who snuck a blockage of Light Rail into the federal budget.

jd where did you get the info that the Texas Department of Economic Development offered 1.3 million. I don't see it in the article you posted ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Completely agreed. The data center burned me up the most because it was such a naked display of personal/political interests getting in the way of tangible progress - the development of that site would have been a catalyst for further development in that part of the city imo. Huge missed opportunity.

The leadership in Houston (I'd say moreso the region than specifically the city) hasn't been forward-looking and proactive for years - far too complacent and focused on the now. Not willing to really fight to get us state money. You even see it now with this Harvey funding, just weak leadership not bringing home the bacon.We deserve better.
I totally agree about the lack of local leadership from namely the recently re-elected Mayor Turner's office in securing the U.T Data Center and all the development and economic diversity that would have spurred in Houston. But this Microsoft deal appears to be a state snafu. I bet if Microsoft had inquired about a North Texas or Austin location they would have been more aggressive in offering incentives.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,032,433 times
I’m not sure why you guys are conflating these 3 events (Microsoft, Amazon, and UT Research). All of the circumstances are completely different and the article regarding Microsoft plainly states that either location met Microsoft’s requirements. The only difference was the amount of INCENTIVES thrown at the company.

The state of Texas, documents show, had offered about $1.3 million in incentives. North Carolina offered nearly $13 million, including a Job Development Investment Grant of more than $12.1 million and community college training. Wake County and Morrisville offered up a combined $1.9 million, state records show. And records show the incentives are likely what tipped the scales in the state’s favor.

“Microsoft has evaluated these markets for demographics, labor depth, labor cost, quality of life, cost of living, air accessibility, real estate costs, business environment, taxes, climate and natural disaster risk, and the availability of economic incentives,” the briefing reads, noting Microsoft found both locations could satisfy the project’s requirements.

“The principle differences at this point are related to upfront and ongoing operational costs (equipment investment, labor, utilities, taxes, etc.) and the availability of potential state and local incentives to assist with offsetting some of those costs,” the briefing notes.

Houston never had a chance with Amazon. You can’t blame city leaders for losing that! Frankly, that happened too soon after Harvey which ruined Houston’s chances IMO.

The UT Research center is a whole different story, and its ironic that you would mention UT and corrupt state politics in the same sentence!

Bottom line, Houston has proven that it is not going to beg companies to move here and won’t throw money at companies to come. Take it or leave it!

Old 12-17-2019, 07:04 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
You are running off business from your state
you have been California nized

Old 12-17-2019, 07:07 PM

403 posts, read 462,914 times
I don’t believe in corporate welfare that picks winners and losers in the economy. We don’t want our tax dollars going to some business where it could be put into smarter investment opportunities like the innovation district or the renovation of the downtown loop or increasing teacher pay, all things the region is doing.

I understand there are arguments for increasing the bid to compete with North Carolina but it’s not a result of corruption, there are reasonable arguments against paying for these incentives.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:33 PM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post

The UT data center loss wasn't due to anything the City did or didn't do. It was partially UH getting peeved about UT stepping on UH turf, and UT failed to get approval from the State Coordinating Board before going into action. UT pretty much did themselves in.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,414,089 times
Default They had the money

1.3 million for 500+ 6 digit earning jobs
Are you serious? This is Texas they could have blown away that little North Carolina town. All it came down to was money!! Something that Texas has a lot of. Some idiot I bet didn't want this. After allowing politics to cost us a premium data research Center losing light Rail etc. This calls for a rebellion!!!!!! Outrage and protests. Who will lead the way and help this movement gain popularity? When will people start to notice that the corrupt politics and personal interests are interfering with progress?
The UT data Center was stopped because of the regents at UT. U of H complained BECAUSE THEY DIDNT WANT COMPETITION! Somehow they managed to change the regents and the new ones UNDER PRESSURE withdrew the plan.
With the Microsoft deal they offered a ridiculously small incentive for what they were getting. They knew what the NC city was offering so they just let it go. We have $15 billion sitting in a rainy day fund. NC doesn't even have $1 billion in savings
We have got to be one of the worst states for special interests and concentration of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I’m not sure why you guys are conflating these 3 events (Microsoft, Amazon, and UT Research). All of the circumstances are completely different and the article regarding Microsoft plainly states that either location met Microsoft’s requirements. The only difference was the amount of INCENTIVES thrown at the company.

The state of Texas, documents show, had offered about $1.3 million in incentives. North Carolina offered nearly $13 million, including a Job Development Investment Grant of more than $12.1 million and community college training. Wake County and Morrisville offered up a combined $1.9 million, state records show. And records show the incentives are likely what tipped the scales in the state’s favor.

“Microsoft has evaluated these markets for demographics, labor depth, labor cost, quality of life, cost of living, air accessibility, real estate costs, business environment, taxes, climate and natural disaster risk, and the availability of economic incentives,” the briefing reads, noting Microsoft found both locations could satisfy the project’s requirements.

“The principle differences at this point are related to upfront and ongoing operational costs (equipment investment, labor, utilities, taxes, etc.) and the availability of potential state and local incentives to assist with offsetting some of those costs,” the briefing notes.

Houston never had a chance with Amazon. You can’t blame city leaders for losing that! Frankly, that happened too soon after Harvey which ruined Houston’s chances IMO.

The UT Research center is a whole different story, and its ironic that you would mention UT and corrupt state politics in the same sentence!

Bottom line, Houston has proven that it is not going to beg companies to move here and won’t throw money at companies to come. Take it or leave it!

Last edited by jd433; 12-17-2019 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston