Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would not cry about the loss of Amazon. It's a terrible place to work.
If I was a business owner, I wouldn't really care how much someone may hate their job. As long as that corporate job gives them the disposable income to buy things from me then I'm fine.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:38 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's like people don't understand how these things can correlate. Somehow one of the top 8 largest metro areas, which also happens to be one of the youngest (and has high fertility rate by US standards) is adequately served by having just one large public uni named after the city. Meanwhile, other cities in the state have multiple universities. What has this helped lead to for the other areas? More diverse economies. My options for the local kids to stay in town rather than moving away and deciding to start their business there (like Dell).

Houston still has a small town and loser mentality at times that it needs to shake. Demand better from the local politicians and you'll get better. But seems many are cool with just treading water.
BINGO!! No matter if it's the state's fault or UT/UH fault, or even if Amazon didn't consider Houston as an option in the first place, the bottom line is that Houston is incompetent to attract big tech companies to move to the city because Houston didn't prioritize tech period. In the end Houston has to be held accountable on some level for all 3 debacles. Now the city is trying to play catch up. Well the Innovation Hub coming to midtown change some things? Who knows. I think it'll benefit midtown as a neighborhood more than it will at attracting companies to relocate or even for a tech community outside of Energy to start a size able startup scene in the city.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:41 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
Quote:
If I was a business owner, I wouldn't really care how much someone may hate their job. As long as that corporate job gives them the disposable income to buy things from me then I'm fine.
Yet work advice everywhere tells employees to not settle for a job they dislike but to look elsewhere...

Do you want employee loyalty?

Old 12-18-2019, 10:55 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,973,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Yet work advice everywhere tells employees to not settle for a job they dislike but to look elsewhere...

Do you want employee loyalty?
Amazon will not have any issues hiring anyone with their pay scale. What does it matter to a business owner completely separate from corporate Amazon anyway? More people with high incomes means more business, and also means the local economy gets a hefty boost. So why does it matter if some employees don't like working at Amazon, one of the largest companies in the world? Is company morale something that can't change?

Old 12-18-2019, 11:31 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
It's like people don't understand how these things can correlate. Somehow one of the top 8 largest metro areas, which also happens to be one of the youngest (and has high fertility rate by US standards) is adequately served by having just one large public uni named after the city. Meanwhile, other cities in the state have multiple universities. What has this helped lead to for the other areas? More diverse economies. My options for the local kids to stay in town rather than moving away and deciding to start their business there (like Dell).

Houston still has a small town and loser mentality at times that it needs to shake. Demand better from the local politicians and you'll get better. But seems many are cool with just treading water.
University of Houston
University of Houston Clear Lake
University of Houston downtown College
Texas Southern University
Prairie View A&M
And Sam Houston St. has a shared campus

Then there is:
University of Texas Health Science Center
University of Texas Medical Branch
Texas Women's University Nursing School
Prairie View A&M Nursing School
Texas A&M Biomedical Research

We need to demand better from Cougar High which still has a Cougar High mentality while the students and academics have gotten better.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:32 AM
bu2

Quote:
Amazon will not have any issues hiring anyone with their pay scale. What does it matter to a business owner completely separate from corporate Amazon anyway? More people with high incomes means more business, and also means the local economy gets a hefty boost. So why does it matter if some employees don't like working at Amazon, one of the largest companies in the world? Is company morale something that can't change?
There was some thought Amazon didn't want to compete with Oil & Gas pay scales for professionals. Amazon isn't that high a payer for the skill levels they have.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:38 AM

61,665 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Quote:
You know... long time ago business owners and landlords had slaves. Would you approve that too?
The work conditions at Amazon are just modern slavery. Only desperate or uninformed people take their warehouse jobs. There is a very high turnover and no one stands for their rights. At-will employment, that's it...

Old 12-18-2019, 11:49 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,618,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You know... long time ago business owners and landlords had slaves. Would you approve that too?
The work conditions at Amazon are just modern slavery. Only desperate or uninformed people take their warehouse jobs. There is a very high turnover and no one stands for their rights. At-will employment, that's it...
That’s jobs period in America. America is full of them. I don’t know too many people who enjoy their job even if they’re making “good pay”. Bottom line is Houston should have a more diverse economy and a city its size has dropped the ball on some level at attracting Tech companies to move here.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:56 AM

6,290 posts, read 7,495,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
University of Houston
University of Houston Clear Lake
University of Houston downtown College
Texas Southern University
Prairie View A&M
And Sam Houston St. has a shared campus

Then there is:
University of Texas Health Science Center
University of Texas Medical Branch
Texas Women's University Nursing School
Prairie View A&M Nursing School
Texas A&M Biomedical Research

We need to demand better from Cougar High which still has a Cougar High mentality while the students and academics have gotten better.
How could having a prestigious university spending hundreds of millions of dollars to create a cutting edge, state of the art Data Center possibley have been a bad thing for Houston ?

Dab is right, if the U of H could have provided the institutional support needed to diversify the Greater Houston economy then why haven't they by now ? No, U of H alone, even with all their satellite campuses, and associations cannot service the entire Greater Houston economy.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:56 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
That’s jobs period in America. America is full of them. I don’t know too many people who enjoy their job even if they’re making “good pay”. Bottom line is Houston should have a more diverse economy and a city its size has dropped the ball on some level at attracting Tech companies to move here.
We built a whole freeway for Compaq. And then HP bought them and moved them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston