Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 11:11 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,976,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
You raise a really GOOD point and I have wondered about this myself. It does seem like the State has been helping Austin and North Texas much more than Houston when it comes to attracting jobs.

Why do you think this is? Are our state representatives asleep at the wheel? Who is advocating for Houston in Austin?
Because they all come from the I-35 Corridor, including the current governor who grew up in North Texas.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
The state did this not the local Houston government. That is what makes it so frustrating. I dont know if Linda Hidalgo got involved or not but she should have been involved as well as Turner etc
I am surprised that little was known about this.
If you read that DMN article I posted it shows a list of incentives the state has paid . A good example: They paid 3.5 million for JSW Steel, which promised 500 direct jobs also, and they can only pony up 1.3 mil for 500 much higher paying jobs ?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:20 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
No, this was the State of Texas failing to back up Houston...…

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...entives-again/
When is Houston going to lure Western and Northern Companies on its own desirability?

Don't you think it's time? Or time to grow its own. Shouldn't need relocations to become mighty.

Beside .... most of these big gun companies are choosing multiple cities to spread into. Guess Houston was not desirable enough unless the state gave/bribed it with more millions of $$$.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Also, keep in mind that there was much more demand from Morrisville, NC to get these jobs than Houston, because Houston already has such a strong economy, in comparison to Morrisville. Houston already has one of the best economies in America so it doesn’t have to sacrifice as much as Morrisville does to get these jobs, because we don’t need them as badly.
Huh? Morrisville is in the middle of the Raleigh-Durham Triangle Area which has had a booming economy for a while now. Houston's economy is not really strong currently, but holding steady at a time when the US economy is absolutely booming. Houston needs to diversify badly and these jobs would have helped. The State of Texas doesn't assist Houston so it's time for the local leaders to fight a little more. Don't really know what they're doing here as pretty much every corporate relocation passes Houston up, while other parts of the state get flooded with incentives to attract expansions/relocations. Not fair to Houston. Time to contact some local reps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
When is Houston going to lure Western and Northern Companies on its own desirability?

Don't you think it's time? Or time to grow its own. Shouldn't need relocations to become mighty.
Only Austin has really been able to do this. DFW has had to use state help quite a few times for their corporate relos. The state has given tens of millions for multiple individual locations for other regions of the state. Why does Houston have to be held to a higher standard?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:25 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Huh? Morrisville is in the middle of the Raleigh-Durham Triangle Area which has had a booming economy for a while now. Houston's economy is not really strong right now, but holding steady at a time when the US economy is absolutely booming. Houston needs to diversify badly and these jobs would have helped. The State of Texas doesn't help Houston so it's time for the local leaders to fight a little more. Don't really know what they're doing here as pretty much every corporate relocation passes Houston up, while other parts of the state get flooded with incentives to attract expansions/relocations. Not fair to Houston. Time to contact some local reps.

Only Austin has really been able to do this. DFW has had to use state help quite a few times for their corporate relos. The state has given tens of millions for multiple individual locations for other regions of the state. Why does Houston have to be held to a higher standard?
The States debt is already huge. Rely more on you own expansions .... instead of begging for relocations for decades now to keep growing.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:28 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You are running off business from your state
you have been California nized

Old 12-17-2019, 11:31 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
What incentives did the city of Houston offer? Cities themselves have to offer packages and put forth a grand effort to entice companies. That’s not just the state job. Houston should have put down the red carpet for Microsoft. That’s how you woo a company.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The States debt is already huge. Rely more on you own expansions .... instead of begging for relocations for decades now to keep growing.
Again, why does Houston have to be held to a higher standard than other areas in the state who receive more funding?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:45 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Default This is what I'm talking about

I think the purposefully let the Microsoft deal go because Microsoft snubbed Austin. 1.3 million dollars is an insult to Microsoft. They knew that wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Again, why does Houston have to be held to a higher standard than other areas in the state who receive more funding?

Old 12-17-2019, 11:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
What incentives did the city of Houston offer? Cities themselves have to offer packages and put forth a grand effort to entice companies. That’s not just the state job. Houston should have put down the red carpet for Microsoft. That’s how you woo a company.
I don't know. I had no idea this was even in the works. If you read the article in the OP North Carolina ponied up the lion share of that 13 million dollar package they offered, with the local counties putting up less than 2 million. I'm not a fan of our current Mayor but, I doubt any local agencies here even considered trying to make up that sort of funding gap.

The Governor has been very hands on in other incentive offers and seemed to have been providing leadership in those cases, that was obviously absent during these negotiations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston