Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:10 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,566,366 times

Advertisements

Imagine where the economy would be if there was paying work in average joes taking to the Internet to defend millionaires, billionaires and the politicians whose campaigns they finance.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:40 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,626,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We built a whole freeway for Compaq. And then HP bought them and moved them out.
Quote:
There was some thought Amazon didn't want to compete with Oil & Gas pay scales for professionals. Amazon isn't that high a payer for the skill levels they have.
I wonder where that thought came from? Sound like some Houston homer made that up after not even being consider for a HQ2 location. There were several articles stating why Houston wasn’t even considered a choice.

1. Lack of innovative and creatively unique ideas for housing a hq from the city.
2. Houston’s underwhelming urban infrastructure
3. Flooding
3. Lack of public transportation
4. Lack of startup scene

All reasons stated has nothing to do with competing with o&g. In Houston’s bid, Mayor Turner even stared how resilient and strong Houston is after Hurricane Harvey.” Like, wow that’s your pitch to lure tech companies to the city? Multi billion dollar company doesn’t care about resilience. They want to know how can the city protect our business from being destroyed by flooding? People running the city just don’t understand the industry. It’s obvious.

And building a freeway for Compaq just helps more sprawl. That’s the opposite of what these companies want.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:51 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
University of Houston
University of Houston Clear Lake
University of Houston downtown College
Texas Southern University
Prairie View A&M
And Sam Houston St. has a shared campus

Then there is:
University of Texas Health Science Center
University of Texas Medical Branch
Texas Women's University Nursing School
Prairie View A&M Nursing School
Texas A&M Biomedical Research

We need to demand better from Cougar High which still has a Cougar High mentality while the students and academics have gotten better.
Satellite UH campuses and a couple of HBCUs does not adequately serve the Houston region. DFW for example has Univ of North Texas, UT-Dallas, and UT-Arlington (which was originally an A&M school until the late 60s) as their large public universities with over 20k undergrads at each one of them. Now you're seeing some of the colleges at the unis rise up in the ranks (like UT-Dallas' Computer Science program). Oh and those universities have begun setting up satellite campus, like UNT-Dallas (located in South Dallas). Heck, even San Antonio has a new A&M campus to go along with UTSA.

The other medical schools you listed are an asset if you're interested in healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You know... long time ago business owners and landlords had slaves. Would you approve that too?
The work conditions at Amazon are just modern slavery. Only desperate or uninformed people take their warehouse jobs. There is a very high turnover and no one stands for their rights. At-will employment, that's it...
But the Amazon expansion wasn't for the warehouse jobs. It was for the the white-collar corporate/tech jobs which is why they are looking at urban locations with high walkability and transit scores.

Unless you own a business, made it rich with crypto or stocks and trade all day, or have a trust account, then you're a wage slave like everyone else. Only when you're your own boss are you not a wageslave.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:31 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I wonder where that thought came from? Sound like some Houston homer made that up after not even being consider for a HQ2 location. There were several articles stating why Houston wasn’t even considered a choice.

1. Lack of innovative and creatively unique ideas for housing a hq from the city.
2. Houston’s underwhelming urban infrastructure
3. Flooding
3. Lack of public transportation
4. Lack of startup scene

All reasons stated has nothing to do with competing with o&g. In Houston’s bid, Mayor Turner even stared how resilient and strong Houston is after Hurricane Harvey.” Like, wow that’s your pitch to lure tech companies to the city? Multi billion dollar company doesn’t care about resilience. They want to know how can the city protect our business from being destroyed by flooding? People running the city just don’t understand the industry. It’s obvious.

And building a freeway for Compaq just helps more sprawl. That’s the opposite of what these companies want.
Torry Gattis. Had some basis for that. Don't know if it was a major factor, small factor or non-factor, but he had some basis for that.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:37 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Yet work advice everywhere tells employees to not settle for a job they dislike but to look elsewhere...

Do you want employee loyalty?
You are always going to have a wide-range of views when working in corporate America. Amazon is not inherently worse off than other big corporations at all, especially it's white collar side.

To say you're glad Amazon is not hiring thousands of local workers in their corporate fields because some of their warehouses get bad ratings from employees (and their warehouses are built everywhere with sizeable populations anyway... and not like we're talking inhumane conditions either), then you're aren't looking out for the best interest of a city and its underemployed. I have friends that started working at FedEx out of high school and absolutely hated the warehouse there. Years later and after moving up the chain, their outlook is completely different.

If you don't own a business, then you're still a wageslave answering to a higher up, no matter where you are. People acting like these energy companies that are already here don't have similar traits to Amazon, and why wouldn't they? All the same in corporate America.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:14 PM

9,902 posts, read 6,607,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
You are running off business from your state
you have been California nized
Yep

Old 12-18-2019, 09:05 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,027,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's like people don't understand how these things can correlate. Somehow one of the top 8 largest metro areas, which also happens to be one of the youngest (and has high fertility rate by US standards) is adequately served by having just one large public uni named after the city. Meanwhile, other cities in the state have multiple universities. What has this helped lead to for the other areas? More diverse economies. My options for the local kids to stay in town rather than moving away and deciding to start their business there (like Dell).

Houston still has a small town and loser mentality at times that it needs to shake. Demand better from the local politicians and you'll get better. But seems many are cool with just treading water.
I normally enjoy your posts but this is a bit dramatic! Houston with a small town and “loser” mentality? Where is this coming from?

Losing 500 Microsoft jobs is not the end of the world, especially when Microsoft was only looking for more corporate welfare to make its choice. It seems odd to me that only Houston and North Carolina were competing for these jobs, no? Why wouldn’t Microsoft consider DFW or Austin, rather than Houston? Something seems amiss here...

Old 12-18-2019, 11:30 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,844,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I normally enjoy your posts but this is a bit dramatic! Houston with a small town and “loser” mentality? Where is this coming from?

Losing 500 Microsoft jobs is not the end of the world, especially when Microsoft was only looking for more corporate welfare to make its choice. It seems odd to me that only Houston and North Carolina were competing for these jobs, no? Why wouldn’t Microsoft consider DFW or Austin, rather than Houston? Something seems amiss here...
Well Microsoft back in October announced it was expanding its Los Colinas hub with over 575 jobs. Microsoft was most likely using Houston to leverage a better deal in North Carolina.

https://www.areadevelopment.com/news...ng-texas.shtml

Old 12-19-2019, 05:33 AM

180 posts, read 128,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
It's like people don't understand how these things can correlate. Somehow one of the top 8 largest metro areas, which also happens to be one of the youngest (and has high fertility rate by US standards) is adequately served by having just one large public uni named after the city. Meanwhile, other cities in the state have multiple universities. What has this helped lead to for the other areas? More diverse economies. My options for the local kids to stay in town rather than moving away and deciding to start their business there (like Dell).

Houston still has a small town and loser mentality at times that it needs to shake. Demand better from the local politicians and you'll get better. But seems many are cool with just treading water.
Well I would counter your argument and say that the real problem is that the state of Texas currently only has two public AAU universities (UT Austin and TAMU) and that for a state of it size that is embarrassing. To compare, Iowa has two and it has fewer people than the Houston Metro area. If you really want to put a burr in our saddle Cali has 6 public AAU members and it is expected that another may soon join that list.

To its credit, the state of Texas realized this was an issue over a decade ago and has made a concerted effort to increase funding and research dollars going into UH, as well as Texas Tech and UNT. The state understands that it cannot be all UT all the time because UT cannot take every student that wants to go there (I purposefully left off TAMU because I mean, come on). So, rather than have those kids leave the state and attend school elsewhere (and likely never return) the State decided it made more sense to build up UH as well as the other schools in our major metro areas to keep the kids here.

To the extent UTA does anything that attempts to stop this specific state goal it should be slapped on the hand. UT already tried to block UH’s medical school. Why? How could another medical school focused on primary care in an underserved area be an issue? It’s not, it is that UT didn’t want UH to have a medical school, because the stronger UH becomes, the less desirable UTA becomes and as such the less power it has. That data center was a Trojan horse, and just like that crooked land deal a few years back, was probably linked to a real estate play involving some UT alumna.

Finally I would add that Houston doesn’t have a loser mentality, but it isn’t stuck up and full of itself like some other cities that I won’t name but two of them are located about 240 miles north and 140 miles west. Houston does have a more of a blue collar vibe than either of those two cities, and as such has probably shot itself in the foot on some public investment issues, especially regarding mass transit. But hey, Houston is not the only major metro area with this problem. I live in Atlanta now and trust me funding and expanding our rail system here (MARta) is an annual exercise in accusations, recriminations and failure to actually do anything. Ironically, the voters, even in the suburbs, have started to move on this as commuting becomes more of a pain and housing costs closer into the cities continue to increase. Also, in Atlanta at least, we have seen several companies leave the suburbs and move back inside the Perimeter (our version of The 610 Loop), taking high paying jobs with them. So the attraction of living 40 miles away from Atlanta is fading.

Old 12-19-2019, 07:06 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exult.Q36 View Post
Well Microsoft back in October announced it was expanding its Los Colinas hub with over 575 jobs. Microsoft was most likely using Houston to leverage a better deal in North Carolina.

https://www.areadevelopment.com/news...ng-texas.shtml
This is called conjecture. If the state is somehow complicit with Microsoft to play games against another state to extract more welfare then shame on Texas and quit using Houston as some sort bait.

Your attitude that it must be just some game is really condescending and arrogant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogHawk View Post
Well I would counter your argument and say that the real problem is that the state of Texas currently only has two public AAU universities (UT Austin and TAMU) and that for a state of it size that is embarrassing. To compare, Iowa has two and it has fewer people than the Houston Metro area. If you really want to put a burr in our saddle Cali has 6 public AAU members and it is expected that another may soon join that list.

To its credit, the state of Texas realized this was an issue over a decade ago and has made a concerted effort to increase funding and research dollars going into UH, as well as Texas Tech and UNT. The state understands that it cannot be all UT all the time because UT cannot take every student that wants to go there (I purposefully left off TAMU because I mean, come on). So, rather than have those kids leave the state and attend school elsewhere (and likely never return) the State decided it made more sense to build up UH as well as the other schools in our major metro areas to keep the kids here.

To the extent UTA does anything that attempts to stop this specific state goal it should be slapped on the hand. UT already tried to block UH’s medical school. Why? How could another medical school focused on primary care in an underserved area be an issue? It’s not, it is that UT didn’t want UH to have a medical school, because the stronger UH becomes, the less desirable UTA becomes and as such the less power it has. That data center was a Trojan horse, and just like that crooked land deal a few years back, was probably linked to a real estate play involving some UT alumna.

Finally I would add that Houston doesn’t have a loser mentality, but it isn’t stuck up and full of itself like some other cities that I won’t name but two of them are located about 240 miles north and 140 miles west. Houston does have a more of a blue collar vibe than either of those two cities, and as such has probably shot itself in the foot on some public investment issues, especially regarding mass transit. But hey, Houston is not the only major metro area with this problem. I live in Atlanta now and trust me funding and expanding our rail system here (MARta) is an annual exercise in accusations, recriminations and failure to actually do anything. Ironically, the voters, even in the suburbs, have started to move on this as commuting becomes more of a pain and housing costs closer into the cities continue to increase. Also, in Atlanta at least, we have seen several companies leave the suburbs and move back inside the Perimeter (our version of The 610 Loop), taking high paying jobs with them. So the attraction of living 40 miles away from Atlanta is fading.
Again U of H supporters lose site of the forest for the trees. I have said many times the UT Data Center may not have been the best development for the U of H, but it would have been great for Greater Houston. If you could develop an argument not based on poor ole U of H getting the shaft again, and instead on how Houston would be better served by continuing it's dependence on it's current institutions of higher learning , please do so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston