Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:59 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times

Advertisements

What are your complaints really going to do, like really youre going to have to deal with it. Only 2 months left of humidity then 70 degree weather fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh yea I can complain, I HATE the humidity. I don't care how good it is for my skin, it feels miserable to me.
Currently in Houston, TX
Cloudy 85°F
Feels Like
93°F
Dew Point: 75°F
Humidity: 73%
Pressure: 29.92 inches
Wind: From the East Southeast at 10 mph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
What are your complaints really going to do, like really youre going to have to deal with it. Only 2 months left of humidity then 70 degree weather fall.
I wish it was only two months of nasty humidity left And 70 is not fall weather.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:43 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I wish it was only two months of nasty humidity left And 70 is not fall weather.

True. That's winter weather.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Yea around here it is

Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
The Humitity is good for your skin, makes you look young. You cant complain for the last few days rain and 80 degree weather feels like the islands but no water.

Drinking lots of water and eating less sweets will do that and I rather be drinking and eating than sweating. Also, don't drink alcohol or smoke and your skin is likely to stay nice for a long time. Oh, and another culprit....the sun. Stay out of it.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Wrong. That's the beginning of warm weather. 70 is too hot. 35 to 55 is nice. Colder is okay too.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:20 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Wrong. That's the beginning of warm weather. 70 is too hot. 35 to 55 is nice. Colder is okay too.
Absolutely!!!!!
I miss wearing sweaters, raking the beautiful leaves, hot apple cider, the first snowfall, not having to run the A/C when you use the fireplace...
I need a drink now.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:53 AM

49 posts, read 222,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherguy View Post
They deal with it the same way they deal with the heat across the entire southern part of the U.S.. Temperatures 100 degrees and above are rare in the Houston area. Don't know where you got that information. But it's still hot from May through September and sometimes into early October. Temperatures are great from mid October through April. The city is green year round.

How do you deal with the continuous grim, bitterly cold weather and brown landscapes from November through April where you are? I've always wondered about that. I guess it's an individual thing.
I couldn't agree more. I currently live in Canada and can't wait to move to Houston this fall. I'd much rather put up with 4 months of hot weather than 8 months of cold, rainy, snowy, windy weather. Not to mention the brown, dirty, baretree landscapes. I'm tired of wearing a coat in the summer, snowboots in May, and being trapped indoors for weeks on end because it's 40 below out. And lets not forget about the darkness, the sun sets here before 5 in Dec/Jan. It's more than a little depressing.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:14 PM

54 posts, read 271,928 times
Get a Pool.
I grew up in Houston without AC. The house had an attic fan that moved a lot of air through the windows, and I don't remember complaining how hot it was. I do however have memories of some hot sweaty nights where sleeping was uncomfortable. We did not have a pool, nor easy access to one.

My pool is a great help in keeping comfortable. It is one of those pools that was built before lawyers designed them, so it is 10 feet deep and also remains in the shade almost all day except about 2 hours in the PM. That keeps the water temperatures low and refreshing. The recent rains lowered the water temperature even more, so it actually feels cold when you first get in.
When I work outside I wear a swim suit. Every hour or two I will take a dip and lower my body temp. VERY Refreshing!

P.S. All that shade makes pool maintenance a royal PAIN from October - April when you get the various varieties shedding leaves at different times, followed by the spring pollen.

My lakehouse pool was 5ft deep and got sun from 8am to 9PM. That sucker felt more like diving into a bowl of soup than water.
I learned if you connect a sprinker/mister system to one or two of the return jets, it will make a dramatic difference in the water temperature in a matter of 24 hours.

And pray we don't lose power due to a storm.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:24 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigTramp View Post
Get a Pool.
I grew up in Houston without AC. The house had an attic fan that moved a lot of air through the windows, and I don't remember complaining how hot it was. I do however have memories of some hot sweaty nights where sleeping was uncomfortable. We did not have a pool, nor easy access to one.

My pool is a great help in keeping comfortable. It is one of those pools that was built before lawyers designed them, so it is 10 feet deep and also remains in the shade almost all day except about 2 hours in the PM. That keeps the water temperatures low and refreshing. The recent rains lowered the water temperature even more, so it actually feels cold when you first get in.
When I work outside I wear a swim suit. Every hour or two I will take a dip and lower my body temp. VERY Refreshing!

P.S. All that shade makes pool maintenance a royal PAIN from October - April when you get the various varieties shedding leaves at different times, followed by the spring pollen.

My lakehouse pool was 5ft deep and got sun from 8am to 9PM. That sucker felt more like diving into a bowl of soup than water.
I learned if you connect a sprinker/mister system to one or two of the return jets, it will make a dramatic difference in the water temperature in a matter of 24 hours.

And pray we don't lose power due to a storm.
so deep (more than 6 ft) pools are illegal in houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston