Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigTramp View Post
Get a Pool.
I grew up in Houston without AC. The house had an attic fan that moved a lot of air through the windows, and I don't remember complaining how hot it was. I do however have memories of some hot sweaty nights where sleeping was uncomfortable. We did not have a pool, nor easy access to one.

My pool is a great help in keeping comfortable. It is one of those pools that was built before lawyers designed them, so it is 10 feet deep and also remains in the shade almost all day except about 2 hours in the PM. That keeps the water temperatures low and refreshing. The recent rains lowered the water temperature even more, so it actually feels cold when you first get in.
When I work outside I wear a swim suit. Every hour or two I will take a dip and lower my body temp. VERY Refreshing!
Hehe I have one of those too. Diving board and old fashioned curved slide to boot. Grandfather claused right in. Downside is the damn thing is has a minor or major repair every couple of months. But even if I do a total reahaul on it, I get to keep the depth, diving board and slide. Ahhh, people knew how to live in the good old days.........if your kid got hurt in the neighbors pool, you didn't sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 03:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
so deep (more than 6 ft) pools are illegal in houston?
No, I guess it's because neighbors' kids were swimming in the pools, drowning in the deep end and then their parents were suing the pool owners. Then again, if it's six feet deep, that doesn't necessarily stop idiot kids from trying to dive in it.

Darwinism in action.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:41 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
If I ever win the lottery, I'm paying you to move to North Carolina.
Would you be so kind and pay me to move to the Blue Ridge mountains.....please?

Old 08-23-2008, 04:34 PM

469 posts, read 1,452,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Would you be so kind and pay me to move to the Blue Ridge mountains.....please?
Oh, and me to beautiful New England!
I could be there just in time for fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston