Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM

789 posts, read 1,533,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Sarcasm?

I thought you diagreed with those who oppose it.
Haha, well that is where you would be wrong. I don't really care to be honest. But what I am against is those that make assumptions about everything. I really don't like people that have picked sides before anything has really had a chance to happen. Unfortunately that is most on C-D. I have seen very few good points made in this entire thread. The classicism and bigotry are here though, as usual.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM

3,553 posts, read 4,885,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenpar View Post
Haha, well that is where you would be wrong. I don't really care to be honest. But what I am against is those that make assumptions about everything. I really don't like people that have picked sides before anything has really had a chance to happen. Unfortunately that is most on C-D. I have seen very few good points made in this entire thread. The classicism and bigotry are here though, as usual.
Sorry, I meant oppose as in oppose the OP. Then you'd be supporting it. I didn't get that right.

I'm not sureif I'd call it "bigotry". I think a realtor can tell you if it's really that big of a problem.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:24 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,107,633 times
Turns out the developer is out of state, so I don't think the school demographics of the owner's home would matter in relation to the discussion...

Old 03-27-2010, 08:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,311,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Love this comment. I think people who don't live near this proposed development should stay out of it. Those of us who do are neck deep in it, and I don't think it will end up getting built. If it does...well at least I'm zoned to different schools.
I've lived near plenty of these type of developments; also worked with people in these type of communities and have family live in these type of places. All of things being said here is exaggerated. You look down and talk about them like they are nothing; I wouldn't give a damn about disturbing your communities either.

In Waco they had students from Baylor University come and work with the kids (mind you the students were majority white working with black kids). It really helped the kids and neighborhood.

I don't feel sorry for any of you and all your excuses for not wanting this type of development is just ignorant and bigoted.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,077,379 times
You know I think there should be some of these in Katy. Section 8 housing developments are inevitable because there is a need. They should be spread out throughout the Houston area. It isn't right to just slap them all together in one area - either for the homeowners in the area or the residents of the complex. When a city builds them all together - they turn in to mega ghetto tenement projects (think Chicago or NOLA before Katrina) where there is less incentive to make sure they are safe, clean places to live. When they are mixed in with nicer areas - everyone has an interest in making sure they are kept up.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:46 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,107,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You know I think there should be some of these in Katy. Section 8 housing developments are inevitable because there is a need. They should be spread out throughout the Houston area. It isn't right to just slap them all together in one area - either for the homeowners in the area or the residents of the complex. When a city builds them all together - they turn in to mega ghetto tenement projects (think Chicago or NOLA before Katrina) where there is less incentive to make sure they are safe, clean places to live. When they are mixed in with nicer areas - everyone has an interest in making sure they are kept up.
And also AFAIK the funding setup is there to encourage economic integration, so that the low income housing is not clustered together.

It would be helpful to have the building utilization info and/or the capacity figures for West Memorial Elementary and West Memorial Middle so we know how many more students those schools can take.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:53 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,885,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've lived near plenty of these type of developments; also worked with people in these type of communities and have family live in these type of places. All of things being said here is exaggerated. You look down and talk about them like they are nothing; I wouldn't give a damn about disturbing your communities either.

In Waco they had students from Baylor University come and work with the kids (mind you the students were majority white working with black kids). It really helped the kids and neighborhood.

I don't feel sorry for any of you and all your excuses for not wanting this type of development is just ignorant and bigoted.

You are the one who is ignorant and bigoted. Look it up.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:06 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,608,760 times
I say they build it in Sugar Land just south of Highway 6 on Austin Pkwy just for the entertainment value of watching the Clements parents reaction. I can already hear my brother going on and on about it. It would be quite amusing, really.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM

9,221 posts, read 16,000,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Love this comment. I think people who don't live near this proposed development should stay out of it. Those of us who do are neck deep in it, and I don't think it will end up getting built. If it does...well at least I'm zoned to different schools.
My house in Katy is maybe four or so miles away from this thing. Why are people acting like it'll turn Katy into a ghetto? Where else are people who are going to be working at all of your retail establishments and fixing lunch for your kids at Katy ISD going to live? Not everything can be a 250K home with a detached garage and pool, with a yellow lab as a bonus prize. I'll be happy if this gets built. Maybe now some of the people in the Inner City who couldn't get as good of an education, can now get a Katy ISD education. And I'm sure this will not look anything like the projects. They'll fix it up and won't let it deteriorate.

It is funny seeing people in this thread being glad the development won't be zoned to the schools their kids go to. That's pretty ignorant and sad, to be quite honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Great. I agree people have a right to be concerned about what is being built. It's just funny how some people hear the words "low income" and assume World War III is going to break out in their backyard.. Maybe you could help lead a group of these students in volunteering and community service, instead of letting them play World of Warcraft all day. There's no reason a suburb shouldn't have these services. Some of your kids are headed down the same road, they're just coming from the opposite direction.
This is probably the most real comment I've seen posted here. People think just because they live in Cinco Ranch and their kid goes to Seven Lakes High School that everything will be all rosy. I know of plenty of kids who went there that have everything handed to them on a silver platter, but are not doing a damn thing with it. Going down the same path as the kid who never went to school in the hood. Only difference is, the suburban kid has a backup.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,568,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
This is probably the most real comment I've seen posted here. People think just because they live in Cinco Ranch and their kid goes to Seven Lakes High School that everything will be all rosy. I know of plenty of kids who went there that have everything handed to them on a silver platter, but are not doing a damn thing with it. Going down the same path as the kid who never went to school in the hood. Only difference is, the suburban kid has a backup.
^^^Absolute truth right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: