Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 02:20 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,067,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I live in 3rd Ward.
So you care about Katy or wherever it is, why?

Old 03-27-2010, 02:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,266,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
So you care about Katy or wherever it is, why?
The problem isn't whether or not I care about Katy; the problem is the ignorance and nonsense being spoken on this board. Where do you want these people to go?? Throw them out on the streets so you guys can whine more about homelessness?? Concentrate them into one neighborhood? Yet you guys complain about these areas and make suggestions that the city needs to tear them down.

Either way you people are going to complain and complain no matter what the situation is.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:45 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,713,316 times
Quote:
The though of that scares them.
Haven't read every post so pardon if I repeat......As a parent of young (and sheltered children) my fear doesn't lie with that friendship. It's about the crime that lives with in these apartments. Houston crime maps show low income apts are full of our city's worst crime.

I don't want my sheltered child going over to Ryan's sec 8 apt where a rapist lives, 4 child molesters, and a crack deal happens often. Teenagers who use the F word for fun.....

**I realize there are also some of our finest citizens living in sec 8 apts. But the nicest, poor, family in the world can't keep you safe from the rest.

Most want to keep their children away from crime if they can afford to.

Some of you sound like you don't have kids or are bitter about not being able to afford nicer neighborhoods. I can't wait for some of you childless people to have that 1st precious preschooler going off to kindergarten....you've been sucessful & can afford 500k on a home........you're gonna keep that little girl as safe as you can. That's all these Katy & Sugarland families want, a safe neighborhood & soild schools.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,089,550 times
Quote:
Why don't all of you who think this is such a great idea volunteer your own neighborhood for it? Then have fun selling your house in a decade when the schools have declined and home prices stagnated.
Central Houston already has low income and high income mashed together. River Oaks, for instance, is zoned to public schools that draw people from all over Houston.

Quote:
If you can't volunteer your own area, you are a hypocrite and should just shut up.
But there are also cases where can't means impossible because the area is already built out and because of market scenarios.

Quote:
No, the middle class get screwed in this country. They bust their butts to get a home in a nice area with good schools. They did not have a silver spoon in their mouth like the rich. Then, the government comes in and forces them to pay to not only house people for basically free, but to pay the taxes for the tenents' kids education. In their once good schools that are now in decline. And to eat it on property values when they can't sell their house later (or have to take a financial hit on it.)

This country is now for the rich (can just pick up and and move whenever or afford the best area in the first place) and the poor (get government freebies without paying taxes.) The middle class gets none of this and ends up screwed.
"the government comes in and forces them to pay to not only house people for basically free" - People in the City of Houston already do that and have done it, as the city has a housing authority. However in this case it will be the State of Texas providing funds for a private low income complex, so the people from the area around the proposed complex pay as much as someone from Texline, or someone from Beaumont, etc.

"get government freebies without paying taxes." - But how significant are these "government freebies"? I'd say they are pretty basic and not for someone who wants to live a good life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
It's about the crime that lives with in these apartments. Houston crime maps show low income apts are full of our city's worst crime.
IMO that is why people shouldn't concentrate these complexes in one area. What is causing Spring ISD's schools to go down is that a bunch of complexes opened in the same area.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:58 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,035,245 times
Well if you are concerned about your kid going over to those apts. (and most parents would be) but you know "Ryan" is your kid's friend then invite Ryan to visit your home and be honest, tell the boy's parents you'd rather him come to your home because you have concerns about some of the sex offenders who live in the complex or whatever (be prepared to show the sex offender map that backs-up your concerns).

Seriously, I let my kid play with kids of all races, backgrounds and income levels. He turned out to be a well adjusted, kind, compassionate person who realizes that behind every "label" is a person who can add value to his world. He knows right from wrong but he doesn't judge people based on income, job or appearance and that, I admire.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:36 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,876,054 times
Quote:
The problem isn't whether or not I care about Katy; the problem is the ignorance and nonsense being spoken on this board. Where do you want these people to go?? Throw them out on the streets so you guys can whine more about homelessness?? Concentrate them into one neighborhood? Yet you guys complain about these areas and make suggestions that the city needs to tear them down.

Either way you people are going to complain and complain no matter what the situation is.
As I said earlier, you and a few others are those who are ignorant. I did not see ANYBODY saying that they do not want to see them, be friends with them ewtc. Somebody just brought that up and you all jumped on it.
The article in the OP clearly states what this is about.
It's pretty obvious that not 100% of the people are bad. This thread derailed from talking about property values and crime to accusing people of bashing those who live in government subsidized housing.

That low income apartment complexes attract crime is nothing new. It'ss not about Section 8 or the people, it's about those sketchy apartments.

Everybody knows that people will not want the most trivial things in their neighborhoods. "I'm not moving to a neighborhood that dosen't have a pool", "I'm not gonna move to a neighborhood with a school that dosen't have a 1200 SAT average", "I want palms, not oak trees".

The fuss about this is redicilous.

I don't know where those apartments would be. I don't remember the location. Perhaps it's not a big deal at all ,but now it is.

Last edited by XodoX; 03-27-2010 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: spelling...

Old 03-27-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Haven't read every post so pardon if I repeat......As a parent of young (and sheltered children) my fear doesn't lie with that friendship. It's about the crime that lives with in these apartments. Houston crime maps show low income apts are full of our city's worst crime.

I don't want my sheltered child going over to Ryan's sec 8 apt where a rapist lives, 4 child molesters, and a crack deal happens often. Teenagers who use the F word for fun.....

**I realize there are also some of our finest citizens living in sec 8 apts. But the nicest, poor, family in the world can't keep you safe from the rest.

Most want to keep their children away from crime if they can afford to.

Some of you sound like you don't have kids or are bitter about not being able to afford nicer neighborhoods. I can't wait for some of you childless people to have that 1st precious preschooler going off to kindergarten....you've been sucessful & can afford 500k on a home........you're gonna keep that little girl as safe as you can. That's all these Katy & Sugarland families want, a safe neighborhood & soild schools.
Not sure what world your living in but those types of people and issues you listed already exist in Katy. The thing with Section 8 housing is that the issues are more in your face and upfront. In the suburbs; people hide their dark past and lifestyles behind their fake smiles and picture perfect lives. In reality; those people are probably no more better than those dope dealers and racist that Section 8 housing supposedly brings to the suburbs.

In one of Waco's most affluent suburbs; a huge meth problem exists that the parents never knew or still don't know about because of the suppose good schools and safe atmosphere.

Just because these issues aren't more noticeable in the suburbs; don't mean they aren't happening. Another thing is the worst thing you can do a child is shelter them; I just hope while in the process of keeping them safe from poor bad people they are also being prepared for the world they will face once they mature.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:47 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,067,740 times
Quote:
The problem isn't whether or not I care about Katy.
But obviously you do, being so involved in this thread?

Quote:
the problem is the ignorance and nonsense being spoken on this board .
Maybe others think YOU are speaking ignorance and nonsense? Ever thought of it that way?

Quote:
Who is "you people" ??

Quote:
In the suburbs; people hide their dark past and lifestyles behind their fake smiles and picture perfect lives. In reality; those people are probably no more better than those dope dealers and racist that Section 8 housing supposedly brings to the suburbs.
So much for not stereotyping.
This has never been my experience with suburbs. You have all this experience with suburbs or studies to back this harsh accusation up?
I think this is about something else and you have an axe to grind.

And I am not too familiar with 3rd Ward, but assume you knew what it was and how it was before moving there. You knew what you were getting into. People move to Katy because there's something about it that attracts them, and who is to blame them if they get protective when others want to change the area to something it wasn't intended or marketed to be.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
But obviously you do, being so involved in this thread?

Why does it even matter?? The discussion is about how people stereotype these places as bad and bringing nothing but trouble. For information though; I do sometimes shop at Memorial Mall if that means anything.....

Maybe others think YOU are speaking ignorance and nonsense? Ever thought of it that way?

OK, we're all entitled to opinions.....

Who is "you people" ??

YOU people who keep talking down on Section 8 Housing and the people who live there. Who the hell you think I'm talking about?? Was I not clear enough when I specifically said you???

So much for not stereotyping.
This has never been my experience with suburbs. You have all this experience with suburbs or studies to back this harsh accusation up?
I think this is about something else and you have an axe to grind.

Stereotyping??? It's true. People escape the inner cities to suburbs to escape things in their past. It seems your trying to play Dr. Phil here and trying to act as if I have some personal agenda against suburbanites. The only thing I have an issue with is ignorance.

And I am not too familiar with 3rd Ward, but assume you knew what it was and how it was before moving there. You knew what you were getting into. People move to Katy because there's something about it that attracts them, and who is to blame them if they get protective when others want to change the area to something it wasn't intended or marketed to be.

Katy was the wrong place to go than; your located near a large city and if you really wanted to escape these type of situations. You probably should've headed out more west. Seriously, building Section 8 housing in the suburbs isn't anything new or recent; It happened in Alief, Spring, and other areas. Did you honestly think Katy was immune? lol

^^^^^^

Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,979,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
So - don't want your kid being friends with a low income kid?? Not all low-income people are criminals or 'ner do wells... Kids don't learn compassion for only having friends of their own ... lower income kids with kids out of their income bracket get to see that there is hope for a better life when they have friends outside of their income bracket as well.
Isn't that what I said? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: