Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 AM

1,474 posts, read 5,014,031 times

Advertisements

(For a city) That's life. it will explode and implode a few times as it defines its more permanent neighborhoods. Right now developers/cityplanners are probably enticing some folks to vacate inner city neighborhoods. Maybe putting more people out there is the missing piece to getting a feasible rail system. these are the riding public ya know
it looks like super walmarts outside of highway 6 will be getting their low income walkable communities. The one on West Oaks is just finishing up. (and for some reason the Shell tech center here is putting up new buildings too)

Old 03-26-2010, 09:56 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,333,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Finally an intelligent, educated and well thought-out post here. Thank you.

Except your last comment throws me off

(Vicman, your posts are usually helpful as well.)

Something else not mentioned, but really the main people who benefit from these are the DEVELOPERS. They're laughing all the way to the bank while all of this infighting goes on. They get MILLIONS from the state for free, to help built their development, but you won't see them building it anywhere near their million-dollar home in their own neighborhood! They don't build these out of the goodness of their hearts, they're doing it all for profit! Why don't some of you young and immature posters direct some of your anger at them instead of concerned parents? Sorry, but some of you are really naive.

Also remember, if the Katy complex doesn't get built, it just means another competing complex somewhere else will get the points and funding. All of the applicants are competing for the funds, but there is only so much funding to go around. Obviously, a few of you holier-than-thou know-it-alls who are so condescending against suburbia even understand how this TDHCA system works. But, I can't say I'm surprised...
And those concerned parents living in rough neighborhoods with bad schools don't matter??? You guys aren't the only ones worried about your safety and children; those people you consistently stereotype as bad and troublemakers have dreams and want to live a good life just like everybody else.

Get over yourself; you live in one the largest metropolitan areas in the country and if you want to avoid these type of situations than shall I suggest moving to a smaller city. Half you people are just basing your opinions and judgement off stereotypes and what's portrayed in the media.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:59 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,114,773 times
Does the developer have a website? I could look up the address of the CEO via Zabasearch and, for stuff and giggles, we will see where the developer lives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Something else not mentioned, but really the main people who benefit from these are the DEVELOPERS. They're laughing all the way to the bank while all of this infighting goes on. They get MILLIONS from the state for free, to help built their development, but you won't see them building it anywhere near their million-dollar home in their own neighborhood! They don't build these out of the goodness of their hearts, they're doing it all for profit! Why don't some of you young and immature posters direct some of your anger at them instead of concerned parents? Sorry, but some of you are really naive.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:09 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,886,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And those concerned parents living in rough neighborhoods with bad schools don't matter??? You guys aren't the only ones worried about your safety and children; those people you consistently stereotype as bad and troublemakers have dreams and want to live a good life just like everybody else.

Get over yourself; you live in one the largest metropolitan areas in the country and if you want to avoid these type of situations than shall I suggest moving to a smaller city. Half you people are just basing your opinions and judgement off stereotypes and what's portrayed in the media.
Whatever. Where in the thread did I make any snarky stereotype remarks? Oh, because I live in Sugar Land I must be one of those types who thinks that way, right? That's awfully hypocritical of you, don't you think?

Troublemakers are everywhere. Many of them are from parents who don't give a darn (and many of those parents are NOT poor, but living in "nice" areas.) I think that's obvious.

It's obviously a difference in philosophy. Sorry, I just don't believe in a bunch of government-forced handouts for those other than the elderly or disabled. If others should get it, why not me too? Can my kids get a free ride into Memorial High, since it's "better" than what I have here? Renters don't pay the property tax, they should be thankful they live in a country where their children can attend decent public schools at all, for free. When a school has a poor ranking, often the parent can have the child transfered out of it to an acceptable one within the same district. You think everyone should be given a freebie to live the "good life", whatever that means? Uh, no. My father was an immigrant and came to the US basically in poverty. Today, he's a self-made man. Thank God the government did not give him a bunch of hand-outs, or else who knows how he would have ended up.

I don't think I'm the one who needs to get over myself. And you're not going to change my philosophy on this topic, so get over it. Oh, and thanks for the snarky rep points.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM

965 posts, read 1,892,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Same tired, naive arguments that I made when I was an idealistic kid. And of course people in lower income areas may want the same things for their children, but you seem to be in denial that there are needs many of these communities that your average middle-to-upper class areas are ill-equipped to handle.

Also, you seem to be doing quite a bit of stereotyping yourself, so you're no better than the people you criticize. Maybe you ought to take your own advice and "get over yourself" as well.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:17 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,886,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Does the developer have a website? I could look up the address of the CEO via Zabasearch and, for stuff and giggles, we will see where the developer lives...
I haven't looked into this one, but last year we did look into several.
The one in Sugar Land lived in Sweetwater in a million-dollar home surrounded by other million-dollar homes smack-dap in the middle of Sugar Land. The place he was trying to build was a hair north of the Sugar Land city limits, of course not zoned to the exemplary schools his children attended. He was going to get $20mil total from the state over the course of the years, to help pay for his development. If it had actually happened, which it didn't.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:58 AM

3,553 posts, read 4,889,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Well what slays me in here is the attitude towards the MAJORITY of people that live in low rent apartments...even more so some if it's coming from people that consider themselves "compassionate liberals." I didn't think far left wingers had NIMBYS

Yeah right. Let's not beat around the bush here. I am far left, but I do realize the system is broken. All you do it put them all in one apartment complex. Tha'ts it. That way there's pretty much no integration possibile. And those were no attitudes, those were things you can probably back up with statistics ( crime etc. ). This has actually nothing to do with Section 8 itself. It's more about the sketchy apartment complexes. They need way more financial support than they are getting now.
And you need to give them vouchers.
This would be much better than moving them into those Section 8 apartments. Houston is already a big ghetto. You need to plan smart. And I don't think that is what they are doing there.

Poor doesn't mean dangerous or dead beat.

Nobody said that.

Anyway, this arguement comes up all the time on this board. So I'm out.

Bye.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:30 AM

28 posts, read 67,724 times
This is a great thread. I'm moving to the Houston area in 3 weeks. Me first, family coming down about 3 months later. We have narrowed our search down to Katy and Sugar Land. Our family income is $155K/year. I will be looking for 4-5 bedroom. I list the income so you know the price range I'll be looking for. I want to buy in a really nice area with great schools. With that said let me tell you this. I grew up dirt poor, urban, and lived in HUD housing. I DO NOT want to live near any section 8/HUD housing because I know from experience all that brings with it. I really enjoy reading candid opinions of people who actually live there. Thanks, and keep it up.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,878,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBluesMan View Post
This is a great thread. I'm moving to the Houston area in 3 weeks. Me first, family coming down about 3 months later. We have narrowed our search down to Katy and Sugar Land. Our family income is $155K/year. I will be looking for 4-5 bedroom. I list the income so you know the price range I'll be looking for. I want to buy in a really nice area with great schools. With that said let me tell you this. I grew up dirt poor, urban, and lived in HUD housing. I DO NOT want to live near any section 8/HUD housing because I know from experience all that brings with it. I really enjoy reading candid opinions of people who actually live there. Thanks, and keep it up.
then i suggest you head to north dakota. but this is greater houston

Old 03-26-2010, 01:21 PM

28 posts, read 67,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
then i suggest you head to north dakota. but this is greater houston
Of course. The bigoted responses always chime in. Are you suggesting greater houston has no nice neighborhoods? Also, do you personally have experience living in housing projects? I lived in them the first 18 years of my life. What's your experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: