Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 06:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I just had to euthanize my 9 year old cat last October. Because it happened on a weekend, they emergency vet charged me over $200 to put him to sleep. They were horrible people. They even asked to keep his carrier "since I was not going to be using it anymore". If I had been able to take him into his normal vet, I am sure it would have been much less money and the people would have been as nice as they always are. Take him in to a vet tomorrow. At 15, they will not most likely try to talk you into taking measures that you can't afford. At least your cat will pass away with you comforting him. I am so sorry.
oh.my.god.

to the op .... sounds like your kitty may be suffering from kidney failure.... went through that with my 18 y/o girl some years back..... 3 days and nights in the kitty icu, before she finally succumbed..... so so so sorry you are dealing with this and wish i could offer some good advice.......

chery is right..... the vet will (should) take his age into consideration when offering treatment options.... a peaceful and dignified and loving end can be a great gift as well......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 AM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,996 times
I'm so sorry for you & your sweet cat. I've had to deal with it too & it's a hard decision. When the vets did all they could & my dog was still in pain.........we knew. It was a relief to see him out of pain in a flash. His body went from stiff & tense to relaxed, and that was comforting for us to see. Please read The Rainbow Bridge, if you uhaven't already. It's a story online that also helps when dealing with this. Perhaps the SPCA vet can offer you a low cost service. But if your cat doesn't feel better soon, you'll need to make a decision soon. Sorry & good luck.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:00 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirararara View Post

Thats why I need to make sure I can afford it first, else all it will do is just stress him out more. If theres any hope in helping him, then Im sure it doesnt include futile stress.
Indeed you do - for all sorts of practical reasons, not least of which is the toll stress will take on an ill cat. I have to give renal failure the nod here too.

I can only encourage you to get on the phone and call your local Humane Society chapter/SPCA/any local feline welfare organisations. They should be able to point you in the right direction insofar as financially viable options.

Mobile vets are plenty in Houston. You can always call and ask what they would charge but AFAIK there's a minimum call out charge.

What may be an option to reduce stress on the poor soul is if you could get a dose of sedative or anti-anxiety medication to administer before taking him where he needs to go. Ask whoever you call about this.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirararara View Post
Hi, over the past week or so my oldest cat, 15 yrs old, has stopped eating, drinking, or even moving. He lays in one spot all day. Hes gotten extremely skinny in just the past 3-4 days (of course over Easter Break so the clinics I usually go to were closed). Hes in pain, and I know hes old enough to probably have some sort of liver/kidney disease (tho he showed absolutely no signs before now of having any problem, he ate fine, drank fine, played with the other cats - tho he had gone from regular size cat to somewhat skinny about 4 months ago but stayed the same weight, even gained a bit, since then until now).

Anyway, I had a friend whos cat did the same as mine, and she ended up having to choose between a 5k$ bill or euthanasia. Im all for saving a pets life, Im trying my hardest to save mine, but sadly I dont have the money to pay for surgeries. Hes a resiliant cat, never any problems up til now, so I know whatever vet I take him to, to fix his dehydration, would want to do extensive tests that I cant afford (My brother just got done paying 200$ just for a blood test on his cat). Even worse is that since I have a joint checking, any money I get (or borrow from other family to help pay for my college bills), is usually used up. At the moment Im literally sitting at 0$. Im considering the possibility of taking him (my cat) in to end his suffering at least.

So anyone know how much Euthanasia of a pet around the houston (Baytown/Highlands) area would cost? Its a last resort, of course, but Id rather know how much, get the money, just in case he still deteriorates even with all my attempts to make him well again.
I just went through this 3 weeks ago with my 12 year old Punkin. Thursday night she didn't take her thyroid pill as usual or eat. Friday morning I took her into my vet, who figured she had an upper respitory infection, because of some wheezing. Saturday morning she didn't even try to get to the litterbox and just peed while laying in a corner, so I took her into the ER vet. Her kidneys were shut down. We tried aggressive therapy and Sunday night her kidneys were worse, so my DH and I went in to say goodbye. Total bill for the weekend was $2000.00 The euthanasia was $128.00 which included the cremation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I just had to euthanize my 9 year old cat last October. Because it happened on a weekend, they emergency vet charged me over $200 to put him to sleep. They were horrible people. They even asked to keep his carrier "since I was not going to be using it anymore". If I had been able to take him into his normal vet, I am sure it would have been much less money and the people would have been as nice as they always are. Take him in to a vet tomorrow. At 15, they will not most likely try to talk you into taking measures that you can't afford. At least your cat will pass away with you comforting him. I am so sorry.
This is awful. Our ER vet here was absolutly wonderful. They charged $128 for the euthansia and cremation. They also clipped a lock of fur for us and did a clay imprint of her paw. Less than a week later we recieved a beautiful sympathy card in the mail from them, with the signatures of the vets and assistants that worked with her.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
This is awful. Our ER vet here was absolutly wonderful. They charged $128 for the euthansia and cremation. They also clipped a lock of fur for us and did a clay imprint of her paw. Less than a week later we recieved a beautiful sympathy card in the mail from them, with the signatures of the vets and assistants that worked with her.
Wow. Needless to say, the one I went to wasn't anything like that.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 44,448 times
Well, no need for anymore advice on Euthenasia. Ive been staying up at night, every 1-2 hours checking on him, petting him, telling him I love him, etc.. This morning around 6 am I went in and hugged him, kissed him, promised him Id call the vet and end his suffering, or do anything to make his pain stop. I thanked him for everything hes done for me, and laid with him for a good while. My local vets office didnt open til 7 am, and doesnt see pets til 7 30 or so. I share a car with someone else but I still planned to call when they opened, and ask about the euthanasia. I ended up falling asleep in another room waiting for them to open. A couple hours later when I woke up I went back to check on my cat, and he had passed.. He even moved out from where he was, and laid in his almost signature position. Almost as if in his last moments, he was already trying to make it easier for us (he had been sleeping under a chair that was hard to get him out from under. You actually had to pick up the heavy chair and move it). I sort of feel bad because I feel like my promise to him, my "I love you, so much, and forever", my hugs, my comfort to him - even as I laid with him then he purred, and even meowed so prettily for me... that after that he thought "Its ok.. Its time now.. We've said goodbye"

:/ I dont know what else to say, and it hurts to type so coherently even though Im forming a river with my tears right now but, at least hes not in pain, at least hes not thirsty anymore, at least he passed away in the home he loves with the other pets and family he loves, and whom loved him so dearly, and at least now he can be with his twin sister, bless both their souls, in kitsiecat heaven with all the catnip and Turkey&Giblets Snacks he wants.

Last edited by Kirararara; 04-05-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 04:20 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
I'm sorry for your sadness, but hope you are comforted that you had your last conversation with him. I think pets sometimes hang on for us. You let him know that it was ok to leave.

{{kirararara}}

Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,197,318 times
I am so sorry. Know what you are going through. It made me cry to read your last entry, because it made me remember Monkey's last day (my cat). RIP. little kitty.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM

6 posts, read 44,448 times
Yeah.. Im so sad hes gone but, I have to remember about my other cats. I always notice cats tend to form little "dating pairs", where one of the girls will pick a boy and they "date" sortof. My old cats girlfriend is/was a 4 yr old tabby (who coincidentally has seizures from high-stress situations). She was in the room with him when he passed. My mom said while my bf and I were cleaning up and stuff, that she was just sitting on this red love/heart pillow in an almost empty room, with a look of sorrow on her face. I have to remember that they (my other cats) hurt too. He was like a father to all of them, he always taught them the ways, and he was always so kind to them, always cleaned them, let them eat/drink first and he waited til they were all done, and always slept with them, especially his little girlfriend.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,213,847 times
So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a real gentleman of a cat. Glad you have another fur baby to love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: