Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 08:44 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
That stadium REALLY needs to be facing north, not south. Some cars on 5th Avenue are gonna get blasted by HRs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
I agree but you never know what the final product will be until construction starts. The field will have to be surrounded by nets either way though. Foul balls have the potential to hit some cars as well.
Looking at other baseball parks I have seen, it's not the HR balls that are the problem. Seats or walkways or other open space beyond the outfield fences usually take care of HRs. It's the foul balls that go anywhere. Unpredictably. They go straight up and come down outside the park beyond the seats between home plate and 1st and 3rd bases (sometimes). They go up so high that nets are sometimes no help at all. At the old ball park in Charleston, foul balls would sometimes fall on cars in the parking lot along the 1st base side of the park.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:14 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,227,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Looking at other baseball parks I have seen, it's not the HR balls that are the problem. Seats or walkways or other open space beyond the outfield fences usually take care of HRs. It's the foul balls that go anywhere. Unpredictably. They go straight up and come down outside the park beyond the seats between home plate and 1st and 3rd bases (sometimes). They go up so high that nets are sometimes no help at all. At the old ball park in Charleston, foul balls would sometimes fall on cars in the parking lot along the 1st base side of the park.
I can attest to the foul ball thing. I watched two foul balls (during the WVU vs Duke NCAA regional game) leave the stadium and land on the road (first time I have ever seen it happen though), one about 5 feet in front of a moving truck (probably scared the crap out of that guy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 09:54 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Here's hoping the new MU Ballpark keeps most of the seats behind home plate, between 1st and 3rd base, has areas for socializing, and incorporates a lot of shade structures. These are needed for fan comfort.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:52 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Per the renderings, the ballpark seating appears to be thin and stretched out far down each baseline. IMO, that would be a mistake. I agree, aeros, keep most of the seating between 1st and 3rd, and possibly grass seating/standing area's down the foul lines. It would be much better served and fan friendly that way. I also hope they have a large concourse platform for viewing the game.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I can attest to the foul ball thing. I watched two foul balls (during the WVU vs Duke NCAA regional game) leave the stadium and land on the road (first time I have ever seen it happen though), one about 5 feet in front of a moving truck (probably scared the crap out of that guy).
One possible exception was a [rumored] home run hit at the old Watt Powell park in Charleston. Rumor has it that it went so far over the fence that it landed in a coal car in a train being pulled down the track just outside the right field wall. If true, it would be the longest home run ever hit. Period.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Here's hoping the new MU Ballpark keeps most of the seats behind home plate, between 1st and 3rd base, has areas for socializing, and incorporates a lot of shade structures. These are needed for fan comfort.
I hope they design it that way too. The park in Charleston has a broad walkway all the way around the stadium, so you can get up behind 3rd base, walk around behind home plate, visit a bathroom, get food and beer, and sit down behind 1st base. That's where they set up all the beer tents when they have the Brew Fest Charlie West every April. Other promotions are set up in that area all the time.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:10 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Per the renderings, the ballpark seating appears to be thin and stretched out far down each baseline. IMO, that would be a mistake. I agree, aeros, keep most of the seating between 1st and 3rd, and possibly grass seating/standing area's down the foul lines. It would be much better served and fan friendly that way. I also hope they have a large concourse platform for viewing the game.
I've heard that the rendering released to the public for the announcement is just that, a rendering and not the final plan.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:42 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,421,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
I've heard that the rendering released to the public for the announcement is just that, a rendering and not the final plan.
That's how it usually is with renderings - especially for stadiums. Now that HMDA has agreed to buy the ACF property, which includes the parking lot to the north of the ballpark parcel and south of 3rd Ave, there may be some room to alter the stadium plans.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:04 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I hope they design it that way too. The park in Charleston has a broad walkway all the way around the stadium, so you can get up behind 3rd base, walk around behind home plate, visit a bathroom, get food and beer, and sit down behind 1st base. That's where they set up all the beer tents when they have the Brew Fest Charlie West every April. Other promotions are set up in that area all the time.
I've only been to the Charleston ballpark once, but one peculiar thing I noticed was that instead of having traditional bullpens for pitcher warmups, they had warmup areas adjacent to the first and third base lines. Is that the plan for the Huntington ballpark too?

Old 06-26-2019, 02:14 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I've only been to the Charleston ballpark once, but one peculiar thing I noticed was that instead of having traditional bullpens for pitcher warmups, they had warmup areas adjacent to the first and third base lines. Is that the plan for the Huntington ballpark too?
The plans aren't that far along yet for the Huntington ballpark. The only rendering they have presented so far was just conceptual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Huntington