Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times

Advertisements

I'm not...

But I did bring all my wintering plants out today and put in some rose bushes...opened the mulch around my saplings to air and watered for the first time in 4-5 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
I like it when it's so hot that you break out into a sweat just getting in your car in the morning. You know the nights where the low is like 88 or so? I miss that.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
I like it when it's so hot that you break out into a sweat just getting in your car in the morning. You know the nights where the low is like 88 or so? I miss that.
I haven't experience that yet - though maybe at Lake Havasu in the Arizona Desert but it was 90F at night but dry and not humid.

Today was great. People were outside mowing their lawns even if they didn't need to - just to be outside. I wish every day was just like today.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:28 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Huntsville has pretty good weather. Where I'm from, we tend to think that Huntsville's weather is cooler since it is in north Alabama and it is located in the mountains.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 AM

205 posts, read 590,202 times
If you are concerned about tornadoes, there are several things you can do. One is, like jetjockey75 said, build a safe room within a new or existing house. The can build "closets" that double as a storm shelter and as storage when not needed for storms (I don't worry that much about storms, but later for that). You can also purchase or build a house that has a basement. If building a house, you can use ICF (Insulated concrete forms) that are styrofoam panels that go together like Lego blocks and are filled with concrete later. This creates an incredibly strong, storm-resistant wall that you could really, really feel safe in. You can finish the exterior and interior with just about any type of surface you would a normal wall (siding, stucco, brick/drywall) so you don't have to even know it was built differently than traditionally built homes. There is a house south of 72 (University) in Madison that used this technique (I can't remember what road-- Jeff or Slaughter or Hughes?). We are investigating this as something to consider for our Habitat homes. VERY durable construction.

Back to the storms... We have about as many tornado warnings/watches as where I grew up (Michigan). And I haven't really been affected b any storms. There was one that tore up some trees in the old neighborhood, but they all fell in between houses... some apartments got damaged in Athens about 5 years ago (same storm). Yes, they do happen, but it is a rarity when they do damage. I wouldn't think they would be anything to stop people from moving here... every place has natural disasters. California has earthquakes, we have storms.... but nothing like Kansas or the Tornado alley...

Just be smart, you will be ok.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Anybody else open their house windows today and not use AC at all, all day, in Huntsville, in July?

Felt almost like a comfortable crisp autumn day. It was almost not warm enough to go a pool.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:59 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
Today was absolutely beautiful in the Tennessee Valley or as Gary Dobbs says "Gawgous" . Worked outside all day and hardly even broke a sweat.

I've lived in the Tennessee Valley on and off my entire life. I always heard my grandfather say "If you don't like the weather here, stick around an hour, it will change." Yes, we have the occasional tornado and the odd earthquake. I think all regions have their own crisis weather conditions, but I hope no one will allow an occasional weather formation to prevent them from enjoying all this great area has to offer by living here. You can't run from Mother Nature, so instead of being of afraid of what she brings, embrace life here, and like anywhere else learn how to be prepared for whatever weather Mother Nature might throw at us.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 19,948 times
Default Tornado Info from NOAA

I just looked up on the NOAA website and this link gives a Listing of Tornadoes that have affected the county of Madison, AL in the Huntsville County Warning Area since 1884. It does look like most have been in north of Hunstville.

National Weather Service Huntsville, AL - Tornado Database

Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM

871 posts, read 2,885,916 times
Here is the best Huntsville weather site:

All-In-One Huntsville Weather

Old 07-21-2009, 11:09 PM

1,134 posts, read 2,868,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebinca View Post
Another Bay Area Californian here and we are DEFINATELY looking to relocate. Huntsville sounds almost too good to be true. However, my husband and I are concerned about the weather.(Ha. Ha. comming from earthquake country!) Anyone know much about the hurricanes and tornados? How often and how hard is this particular area subjected to severe storms? Thanks.
There is another similar thread on this, see if you can find it. I think I even posted all tornado tracks in the past 30 years or so.

While we get more tornados than most places, the chances of being injured in one are very small. East of Huntsville Mtn., they become increasingly less likely (tornados can traverse these, but its less common and then tend to form less on the east side of town). Areas west and south get hit more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area