Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,213,877 times

Advertisements

So....if we want the easiest drive, keep on 90 east to Butte, and south to Idaho Falls and west on 20.
If we decide to cut thru.....going south, is 95 just as good a choice (road wise) as 93, south from Missoula.
We aren't in any hurry and can maybe stop at a couple campgrounds along the way. Maybe check out Nez Perce?

Ok. I have no clue which way to go. LOL Thanks for all the info. I'll get the maps out tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM

551 posts, read 804,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Spirit Lake is very near Hayden, where we're heading. Looks like a nice place. Did he build the log home? Are you also moving from So Cal?
We'll be going up thru Kennewick/Pasco. I hear it is a bit boring. After leaving Hayden (CDL) we were hoping not to go back thru Wa/Or. We thought we would rather see some different countryside, even if we have to go all the way to Butte and then loop south and back over to Boise.
No, he bought the lot with the house on it a bit over a year ago. It's a nice house with an unfinished basement.

I bought a lot about a mile or so from his place last summer and having a small simple ranch style house built on it. Hopefully the builder can get started again in 2 or 3 weeks from now if the weather holds. If everything goes well he should get it done in about 3 months. Can't wait to get out of So Cal.

Yup, I don't really care for that drive going through Pasco/Kennewick. Driving from So Cal, I prefer going north on the I-15 to the I-90 near Butte then to CDA even though the drive is about 200 miles longer. If I weren't in such a rush to get up there and back, I would try the scenic routes like CFF and the others recommend. I think I will check them all out once I get to finally move up there.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
No, he bought the lot with the house on it a bit over a year ago. It's a nice house with an unfinished basement.

I bought a lot about a mile or so from his place last summer and having a small simple ranch style house built on it. Hopefully the builder can get started again in 2 or 3 weeks from now if the weather holds. If everything goes well he should get it done in about 3 months. Can't wait to get out of So Cal.

Yup, I don't really care for that drive going through Pasco/Kennewick. Driving from So Cal, I prefer going north on the I-15 to the I-90 near Butte then to CDA even though the drive is about 200 miles longer. If I weren't in such a rush to get up there and back, I would try the scenic routes like CFF and the others recommend. I think I will check them all out once I get to finally move up there.
That's a beautiful place!!
My friend just moved to Hayden from San Dimas, Ca. We live in the Grants Pass area, Oregon. Just about the half way point. She always stays over on her way up or down. It sure is a long drive. But, I bet you'll be glad to finally get there and stay.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:39 PM

551 posts, read 804,567 times
Quote:
My friend just moved to Hayden from San Dimas, Ca. We live in the Grants Pass area, Oregon. Just about the half way point. She always stays over on her way up or down. It sure is a long drive. But, I bet you'll be glad to finally get there and stay.
Thanks. Hope you have a fun, safe, and scenic trip in June.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:35 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Quote:
Grants Pass is one of our favorite stopovers to and from North Idaho whenever we go I-5 and not the I-15 route. Nice town. We even did a jetboat excursion on the Rogue once; I'm sure the captain had a death wish...

We actually prefer going up/down 395 in OR all the way to/down from Pendleton. It's a beautiful drive, with lots of old barns! And very varied scenery.

About 93 vs. 95: I've only gone 93 south from Missoula once, and I seem to remember the road being fine and straight until you get to the mountains. The rest of the way to Salmon is typical mountain driving. We've done 95 lots of times, and it's a scenic, nice route. I'd say your choice would depend on what else you want to do: a straight line to Boise, or a bit of an excursion? You can actually do two great side trips from 95, down along the Clearwater (on 12 through Kamiah and down 13 to Grangeville), and/or over to McCall and Cascade on 55 to Boise, but both roads are really wiggly.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 03-13-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Grants Pass is one of our favorite stopovers to and from North Idaho whenever we go I-5 and not the I-15 route. Nice town. We even did a jetboat excursion on the Rogue once; I'm sure the captain had a death wish...

We actually prefer going up/down 395 in OR all the way to/down from Pendleton. It's a beautiful drive, with lots of old barns! And very varied scenery.

About 93 vs. 95: I've only gone 93 south from Missoula once, and I seem to remember the road being fine and straight until you get to the mountains. The rest of the way to Salmon is typical mountain driving. We've done 95 lots of times, and it's a scenic, nice route. I'd say your choice would depend on what else you want to do: a straight line to Boise, or a bit of an excursion? You can actually do two great side trips from 95, down along the Clearwater (on 12 through Kamiah and down 13 to Grangeville), and/or over to McCall and Cascade on 55 to Boise, but both roads are really wiggly.
We love taking guests on the Hellgate Jet Boats. It's fun!! We live about 12 miles north of GP and a little west of I-5.
As far as 95.....if it is a decent trip, I would consider it. It's already going to cost a fortune in gas, and I really have no longing to go to Butte. Isn't it an extra couple hundred miles? Our friends are in Hayden, in Boise and in Bend. Either way, we will make the trip worthwhile.
Friends in Boise mentioned that they have a cabin in the McCall area. I think on Payette Lake. Don't have my maps out, so that may be wrong. But it's in that area. That might be a good stopover.

Last edited by kadylady; 03-13-2014 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 AM

276 posts, read 644,466 times
Quote:
As far as 95.....if it is a decent trip, I would consider it. It's already going to cost a fortune in gas, and I really have no longing to go to Butte. Isn't it an extra couple hundred miles?
The trip down on US-95 is a beautiful drive, although like I said before, I prefer to jump on Idaho 55 at McCall. The worst part of 95 for pulling a trailer is White Bird Hill. It's about seven miles (downhill if your headed south) of 7% grade, so if you do it, make sure the truck and trailer brakes are up to snuff. It's four-lane all the way, so you can go as slow as you want and not have to worry about traffic.

Concerning Butte, it's pretty much just an ugly hole in the ground. "Butt, Montana" as I call it. I-90 intersects with I-15 west of Butte, so if you did go that way, you wouldn't even really see Butte. You would however go through Deer Lodge Montana, which is where the state prison is located.

If you are going through Deer Lodge, I recommend stopping and touring the Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site. It's free of charge, and very interesting. It's administered by the National Park Service, so a Park Ranger gives the tour and tells the story.
Grant-Kohrs Ranch National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)

Deer Lodge also has the "Old Prison", which is now a museum, and also very interesting, although not free. There is also an old car museum there.
Old Prison Museum

Old 03-14-2014, 01:19 PM

Thanks for the info. We would definitely hit 55 at McCall and take it into Boise.
We've done the Grapevine in So Cal. Is it a worse grade than that. I don't know my grades to well. It's not something I thought about until we got the travel trailer.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:29 PM

276 posts, read 644,466 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We would definitely hit 55 at McCall and take it into Boise.
We've done the Grapevine in So Cal. Is it a worse grade than that. I don't know my grades to well. It's not something I thought about until we got the travel trailer.
To clarify, White Bird Hill is part of US-95, the summit being about ten miles south of Grangeville.
Idaho 55 starts at New Meadows about twelve miles west of McCall. Sorry about that.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:58 PM

I think/hope we'll be fine. Glad to hear that there are four lanes on that part of the Hiway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho