Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
So....if we want the easiest drive, keep on 90 east to Butte, and south to Idaho Falls and west on 20.
If we decide to cut thru.....going south, is 95 just as good a choice (road wise) as 93, south from Missoula.
We aren't in any hurry and can maybe stop at a couple campgrounds along the way. Maybe check out Nez Perce?

Ok. I have no clue which way to go. LOL Thanks for all the info. I'll get the maps out tomorrow!
That's not such a bad drive. While it's not quite as scenic as other routes, it's still quite scenic compared to most Interstate routes, and there are enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. Once on 20, the scenic factor kicks way up.
One way to look at the Interstate route is- the quicker the route, the more time you have to spend in the areas that are most appealing to you. You can pull off and spend an hour here or there without feeling the need to rush on.

I often take that route when I have constraints on my driving time, and coming down the Spencer grade, making the turn and seeing the great Snake River plain, spreading out before me with it's ring of big beautiful mountains shining white in the sun in the distance, is always inspiring. We live in an extraordinarily beautiful state. There aren't many places that offer a vista as grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's not such a bad drive. While it's not quite as scenic as other routes, it's still quite scenic compared to most Interstate routes, and there are enough twists and turns to keep it interesting. Once on 20, the scenic factor kicks way up.
One way to look at the Interstate route is- the quicker the route, the more time you have to spend in the areas that are most appealing to you. You can pull off and spend an hour here or there without feeling the need to rush on.

I often take that route when I have constraints on my driving time, and coming down the Spencer grade, making the turn and seeing the great Snake River plain, spreading out before me with it's ring of big beautiful mountains shining white in the sun in the distance, is always inspiring. We live in an extraordinarily beautiful state. There aren't many places that offer a vista as grand.
While the Interstate Route is a faster drive, it's so much further mile-wise. We have now decided to try to reach Boise on a weekend (do to our friend's work schedule), which means we may only have one nite between Hayden (CDL) and Boise. That's making me think that even a slower drive (down 95/55) might give us a little more time to sight-see. Originally, we were going to make two or three stops while taking the Interstate Rte.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
I vote for 95/55, and make sure your friends invite you back next summer! Then do the 93 etc!

Old 03-15-2014, 04:25 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
While the Interstate Route is a faster drive, it's so much further mile-wise. We have now decided to try to reach Boise on a weekend (do to our friend's work schedule), which means we may only have one nite between Hayden (CDL) and Boise. That's making me think that even a slower drive (down 95/55) might give us a little more time to sight-see. Originally, we were going to make two or three stops while taking the Interstate Rte.

Your plan is a good one for sure, given your circumstances! It also makes much more sense with Boise as the starting point.

Old 03-15-2014, 10:54 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Your plan is a good one for sure, given your circumstances! It also makes much more sense with Boise as the starting point.
Actually, we're coming from Oregon and entering Idaho at CDL. Then visiting friends in Boise before heading back thru John Day and Bend. then home. So, we're never really going to be any further than that, unless we make the Interstate Loop.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,653 times
oldafretired,

What kind of dog does your brother have?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM

551 posts, read 803,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyCanadian View Post
oldafretired,

What kind of dog does your brother have?
She's a little Shiba. Really friendly dog.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,653 times
oldaretired,

She is really cute! My husband and I are going to be moving to Idaho as soon as our house sells. We will be renting in Coeur d'Alene till we figure out what area we want to buy a house in, and then we would like to get a dog.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:56 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldafretired View Post
She's a little Shiba. Really friendly dog.
And she's brave! You wouldn't find my dog standing on bubble wrap.......

Old 03-18-2014, 10:38 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:

I would say this would be the best route for timing and your time will only slow down once you hit White Bird & Riggins. Riggins has a wonderful burger place on the right, can't remember the name, but it's the only one in town. You follow the river for a ways toward New Meadows then you see meadows. This is a scenic drive, our area is VERY green at this time.

And once again going out of McCall past Round Valley when you go into the canyon. Hwy 55 is wide enough and the turns are not as tight. McCall is beautiful this time of year, be prepared you may not want to leave.

Good luck traveling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho