Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 06:18 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,952 times

Advertisements

Ya, we've had more snow in April than we did in Feb & Mar combined!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 09:21 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Snake River Seeds got my order to me in a reasonable time frame, for which I am grateful. I wasn't able to order at any of the seed companies I usually use because they were either not taking orders or stating that orders would be delayed due to Covid.

I got two varieties of tomato developed by the U of Idaho and a Russia variety. I've had a very good Russian tomato one year far in the past, but was never able to get seeds for it again. I figure it is worth a try with another Russian tomato.

So this year, I am growing tomato varieties that I have never grown before. Fingers crossed.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:16 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I got two varieties of tomato developed by the U of Idaho and a Russia variety. I've had a very good Russian tomato one year far in the past, but was never able to get seeds for it again. I figure it is worth a try with another Russian tomato.

So this year, I am growing tomato varieties that I have never grown before. Fingers crossed.
I'll have to try that one some year... maybe not this year as I have about a dozen seedlings up, and no doubt something will come into my local Walmart's very good garden shop that calls my name and insists that I find room for one more plant. (Hopefully those good sweet peppers, since the saved seeds didn't come up.) Why do we always wait til spring to order seeds, then complain when our desired variety is out of stock?

Now to find some decent strawberry starts... or maybe I'll just grow some from seed....

Old 04-26-2020, 09:02 AM

I buy my strawberries and asparagus from Nourse.

They have a very good reputation for their asparagus, which I buy from them, so I thought I'd try their strawberries, too. Those were also good plants.

I checked their website to see if they are filling orders, and it looks like they are, except they will not ship to the west coast states this year due to their extra shipping requirements. Idaho was not listed in the list of banned states, so it looks like we can still get our strawberry plants.

If you want asparagus, I highly recommend their Purple Passion. I thought the purple color was just a gimmick, but it is not. That was my best tasting asparagus.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:13 AM

[goes to look] Nourse seems to have pretty good prices on bare root plants, and some good options. I'll give 'em a try, thanks!

Asparagus, tho... evil stuff. If I actually wanted some, there's a patch over in the barrow pit.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:11 AM

Such nice weather yesterday. My family "sheltered in place" inside our car and we drove to Pinehurst to Mountain View Farms to buy tomato plants. What a pretty drive that is, through the mountains and the forest.

The tomato lady sells plants at the Farmer's Market, which is going to be open as it is considered an essential service. Her plants are sturdy and healthy, and she grows them herself, so I am happy to recommend them.

I could have gone to the farmers market to get my plants, but hey, beautiful weather, gas at $1.46 a gallon, a road trip was just the thing to get us out of the house. I filled my gas tank and it cost $18. I'm wishing I had someplace else to drive to.

Old 05-06-2020, 10:32 AM

Ace Hardware had a bunch of nice-looking straggleberry starts for cheap, so I filled in my 2nd tier with those. 3rd tier will wait til my sister gets her bulbs that were going to die if they didn't get planted somewhere; either that, or the strawberries will have to share.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:35 PM

In case I'm not the only one waiting for orchids, Costco just had a shipment. I was there today and it looked like I was almost the first one to take a plant off the display. The orchids are large, look healthy, and the price is really low. There is a pretty good selection of colors.

Many thanks to the people who offered to scout Costco for orchids for me.

Costco also had a big pallet of hand sanitizer made by a local distillery. No one seemed to be buying it. Has hand sanitizer come available readily all of sudden and no one needs any more of it? I bought a bottle. It's 80% alcohols so should kill just about anything. It's quite liquid, but so is my home made hand sanitizer that I have been making due with and I haven't had any problems using that..

Old 05-07-2020, 03:10 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
...Costco just had a shipment...The orchids are large, look healthy, and the price is really low. There is a pretty good selection of colors...

Costco also had a big pallet of hand sanitizer made by a local distillery...
Cool. Thanks for the tip. I'd make a run there now, but just returned home with the pups after getting down off Canfield Mountain. After I rest up a few minutes, I'll head out.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-03-2020, 05:07 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Happy 4th of July weekend, Porchers and Lurkers! Whatever way you can safely celebrate, I hope you have a good time. I wish we could have been in NID like we'd planned, but sheltering at home seems to be the better part of valor right now, with COVID cases surging in SoCal. Still, we haven't given up hope. There is still plenty of summer left...

Just bought a really spiffy cloth mask--I got so tired of the medical masks. But if I have to be indoors with non-masked people, I'll probably double up and wear both. Oh, Brave New World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho