Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2023, 10:30 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times

Advertisements

6-8” on the Prairie. Ablating/evaporating fast. Rain helping with that. Primary roads clear, secondary and tertiary roads icy. I stayed home yesterday. Too many people driving like it was a sunny summer day, or driving 25 mph in a 45 zone, which is frustrating.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 12:07 PM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
Got 8~12" of snow up here in north bench. How about you all?
Cleared snow twice and still the driveway and sidewalk are covered. It looks like about 8 inches to me, but I am not going to take a ruler out there and measure. The snow is still coming down thick and fast, so it isn't over yet.

Power was out at least twice last night. My clocks go out when the power turns off. I set the clocks and they were all off again this morning.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 12-03-2023 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-03-2023, 01:01 PM

561 posts, read 438,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
6-8” on the Prairie. Ablating/evaporating fast. Rain helping with that. Primary roads clear, secondary and tertiary roads icy. I stayed home yesterday. Too many people driving like it was a sunny summer day, or driving 25 mph in a 45 zone, which is frustrating.
People were driving absolutely nuts yesterday around Bonners Ferry. Frustrating so many people in 4WD trucks and AWD Subarus think they're so invincible. 4WD or AWD doesn't mean four/all wheel stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Cleared snow twice and still the driveway and sidewalk are covered. It looks like about 8 inches to me, but I am not going to take a ruler out there and measure. The snow is still coming down thick and fast, so it isn't over yet.

Power was out at least twice last night. My clocks go out when the power turns off. I set the clocks and they were all off again this morning.
No power outages here. Just started snowing again. Not much melted up here, though I can tell the snow is about harder packed so must of melted just enough to harden slightly.

Old 12-04-2023, 11:14 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
View from Gold Hill, Sandpoint, Dec.4:
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-goldhill-dec-4-2023-10-am.jpg  

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 12-04-2023 at 11:30 AM..

Old 12-04-2023, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Looks beautiful!

Old 12-04-2023, 08:02 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
I must be a new kind of stupid! Got home around 11:30 today after dance practice and running a few errands. Noticed that it was in the low 40s, so decided to break up the ice dam at the foot of my driveway on the sidewalk. I have a heated driveway that is slightly sloping. The sidewalk is not heated, so the water congregates there from the driveway turning to ice. It creates a minor distraction getting into and out of my driveway.

After I busted up the ice on the sidewalk, I shoveled it to the gutter drain. Then poked it down the drain to melt. Then I thought, "Might as well do the whole sidewalk". Then the neighbor's, since they are elderly and cannot do it themselves. Then getting rid of the ice in the gutters, (to allow the melt water free access to the drain).

Why stop there. Noticed a polite, but unfriendly couple leaving in their car and noticed them having to cross over an ice mound in the middle of the street. Since it is warm enough, went to work on the street. Cleared the street of ice in front of my own house, my neighbor's driveway, and the community mailbox adjacent to my property.

Shoveled and carried the ice to the drain, which is almost "back breaking" work for this 72-year young senior.

I'm pooped, and my legs are really sore. I'll be sleeping well tonight . . . I hope!

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 12-05-2023, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I must be a new kind of stupid! Got home around 11:30 today after dance practice and running a few errands. Noticed that it was in the low 40s, so decided to break up the ice dam at the foot of my driveway on the sidewalk. I have a heated driveway that is slightly sloping. The sidewalk is not heated, so the water congregates there from the driveway turning to ice. It creates a minor distraction getting into and out of my driveway.

After I busted up the ice on the sidewalk, I shoveled it to the gutter drain. Then poked it down the drain to melt. Then I thought, "Might as well do the whole sidewalk". Then the neighbor's, since they are elderly and cannot do it themselves. Then getting rid of the ice in the gutters, (to allow the melt water free access to the drain).

Why stop there. Noticed a polite, but unfriendly couple leaving in their car and noticed them having to cross over an ice mound in the middle of the street. Since it is warm enough, went to work on the street. Cleared the street of ice in front of my own house, my neighbor's driveway, and the community mailbox adjacent to my property.

Shoveled and carried the ice to the drain, which is almost "back breaking" work for this 72-year young senior.

I'm pooped, and my legs are really sore. I'll be sleeping well tonight . . . I hope!
Glass half full as I am if day a good calorie burn is essential in the winter. LOL

Old 12-05-2023, 11:09 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Quote:
.......After I busted up the ice on the sidewalk, I shoveled it to the gutter drain. Then poked it down the drain to melt. Then I thought, "Might as well do the whole sidewalk". Then the neighbor's, since they are elderly and cannot do it themselves. Then getting rid of the ice in the gutters, (to allow the melt water free access to the drain).

Why stop there. .........
\

There is something really satisfying about shoveling snow. Instant results, satisfying feedback is very visible in response to every scoop of the shovel. Something is being accomplished.

When this storm started, I heard the scrape of a snow shovel out front and found my son shoveling the sidewalk. He said the snow blower had broken a shear pin, but we have two snow blowers and as soon as he finished with the shovel, he replaced the broken shear pin so the snow blower would work for me.

Of course, he also loves the snow blower with its engine and the huge plume of snow that it throws. He did the drive and the sidewalk twice that first day.

And good for you, Volosong for shoveling the walk for your elderly neighbors.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:49 PM

31 posts, read 12,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Between Sandpoint and Clark Fork we only got about 3-4 inches. Then it's been slowly warming up (relatively speaking) and rain, rain, rain. One weird winter so far.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:01 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahocougar View Post
Between Sandpoint and Clark Fork we only got about 3-4 inches. Then it's been slowly warming up (relatively speaking) and rain, rain, rain. One weird winter so far.

Hi Cougar, good to see you! I'm sure nobody appreciates the rain except for our newly planted lilacs and the black currant and red currant bushes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho