Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:13 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
When I was growing up most fast food workers were teenagers. Then I started noticing around the late 1980s through much of the 90s that adults, mostly white, became the majority of the fast food workforce. Perhaps teenagers didn't want to work fast food anymore? Anyway I noticed these adults were overall worse workers than the teens were. They were slower, didn't smile, were often rude..many seemed to be possessed with negative energy and they took it out on the customers.

For the last several years the vast majority of the fast food workers where I live are Hispanic. I'm not sure if they are legal or illegal, probably a mix of the two, but I can say that overall they are excellent workers. Most are quick and are very nice and pleasent to deal with..such a big improvement from the past.
That's funny my experience has been exactly the opposite. When there used to be "citizens" of all ethnicities and ages working those places the service was better, no communication problems, my order was right and I always got a smile and friendly attitude from them. They were hard workers also. Not so today with all these non-English speaking (probably illegal) Latinos. Me thinks you are trying to pull some legs around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
what does a "Mexican" look like? and how and YOU tell the difference?
Well, a dead tip-off is they can't speak a word of English.....

Old 11-22-2010, 10:56 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
what does a "Mexican" look like? and how and YOU tell the difference?
Black hair
dark eyes
brown skin
mustache
about 5'8"

That's how every Hispanic is described on tv.

Describes every Mexican I knew in Phoenix.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettJ View Post
It seems that all the fast food workers in our area are Mexican (even management). Some of whom can hardly speak English. What is the incentive for these places to hire Mexicans? When we questioned one of the corporate guys about the legality of the workers, the man said "prove they're not legal". Isn't it up to those who hire to prove whether they are legal or not? If it's a legitimate business, don't they have to file W-2s and such for these workers and pay minimum wages? Are they getting something back from the government for hiring minorities? Our high school kids can't even find jobs anymore. I'm just wondering if anyone knows why they insist on hiring these folks who are probably undocumented.
An AMERICAN friend of mine is desperately trying to get a job, any job....she tried at a fast food place and was told she need to speak Spanish!!!!!!! Because the other workers could speak no English only Spanish....!!!SCREW THEM! THROW THEM OUT!!!

AND IF this country TRULY wanted to get rid of these illegal criminals they should prosecute the CRIMINAL owners and CEOs of the CRIMINAL companies who hire them.....and that won't happen ...so they take our jobs and ruin our economy .......

Old 11-23-2010, 08:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLni3wbndls

Old 11-23-2010, 10:29 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Odd how some find humor in a very devastating and real dilema for Americans.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
= and real dilema for Americans.
What, lack of readily available fast food jobs?

Behind every job they took, is some fellow American that give them that job.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:09 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:

Not necessarily AT ALL!

Around here, it seems that people hire people who look like them.

The Wendy's across the street from my office has all black employees. And a black manager. There used to be tons of Haitians working there, when there was a Haitian manager. Since he's been gone, though, it seems like American blacks primarily work there.

The McDonalds about half a mile away has primarily Hispanics (we don't have that many "Mexicans" here like they do in the Southwest US, but there's a whole lotta Spanish being spoken... but we're not talking about white Venezuelans or Argentinians at McDonalds). The manager on duty? Well, she also looks "Hispanic."

A bit further down the road is Chick Fil A. White manager. All the employees are young white people, couple of younger black kids... probably from the local college.

So, looks like there's either discrimination going on somewhere, or ethnic favoritism, no? It's not as if ChickFilA is a high class joint while Wendys is bottom of the barrel or something. It's all the same caliber of job requiring similar skill sets.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:

Yes, the fellow American employer gave them that job when they realized he/she could hire illegals for less money than Americans. The American workers were pushed out by greed, not because they all decided that type of work was beneath them.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:13 AM

50,244 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:

Only partially true. You'd be surprised at the foreign businesses operating in the US hiring illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration