Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:36 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,436,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I answered the op's question as to "why" IMO illegals are allowed to "fight" deportation. the op was not about other crimes that are being committed.

I can't imagine any american not thinking we are a GREAT nation, despite our faults.

as to why our government picks and chooses what laws to enforce or ignore I would guess it is money.

if our government tries to pick and choose what rights to afford some and not others, in america we have the right to go to court and challenge it. does that mean we will always agree with the challenge, no of course not.

do I like it that a murderer, caught red handed, with his prints on a weapon, both his and the victims blood on it, as well as a confession to the police, can and does plead innocent and demands a jury trial? no. do I like it that once convicted to death he has what seems like unlimited appeals that can cost millions and drag on for years? no. however the other side of that coin is an innocent person charged with a crime they didn't commit.

same thing as to why people are able to fight what they feel they should, our constitution. it is a right. take out the emotion and the bias, the legal wrangling. the constitution is meant to protect us as individuals, even if we may not like the individual or their fight, we are all entitled to protest.
I didn't say that this wasn't a "Great Nation". You said "We don't "pick and choose". I was pointing out what you choose not to

We're talking about illegal immigrants, so 3/4 of your response is irrelevant to this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 03:02 PM

166 posts, read 246,865 times
we are still a great nation, but in the last two years the current administration is trying to turn us into his personal apology to the world. If he wore a sign around his neck saying 'abuse our laws, we're sorry. it's all our fault, we owe you eveything you desire even if it's outrageous, even if it destroys our own country' it could not be more clear.
Until this term is over and we get a rational potus we'll just have to keep bailing like he** and hope he doesn't sink us.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:09 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
we are still a great nation, but in the last two years the current administration is trying to turn us into his personal apology to the world. If he wore a sign around his neck saying 'abuse our laws, we're sorry. it's all our fault, we owe you eveything you desire even if it's outrageous, even if it destroys our own country' it could not be more clear.
Until this term is over and we get a rational potus we'll just have to keep bailing like he** and hope he doesn't sink us.

as if it was any different under Bush! You forget that Bush was making overtures to Presidente Fox to allow amnesty for the illegals in this country in early 2001.
only 9-11 took that off track.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,844,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
as if it was any different under Bush! You forget that Bush was making overtures to Presidente Fox to allow amnesty for the illegals in this country in early 2001.
only 9-11 took that off track.
No-one's forgotten, but weren't we supposed to see some of that hopey changey stuff going on with this one?

Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,671,954 times
Quote:
what makes us great is that "everyone" in the US is protected and has rights. if we pick and choose then who do we say doesn't get protected. perhaps old seniors or mentally challenged folks? the poor or perhaps someone that has a different religion than I do. our system isn't perfect for sure but we can't and shouldn't pick and choose

This is exactly why we need to only vote politicians who will enforce current laws, end birthright citizenship to foreigners and change stupid laws such as this.

All of us here need to demand this from people who represent us or we stick together and elect someone who will.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 PM

166 posts, read 246,865 times
Quote:
citizen or not everyone in the US has constitutional rights. taking them away from one group can opens the door to taking the rights a way from others. we don't get to pick and choose who gets rights and protection in the US. one of the things that makes us great
Of course we do!They're called elections. We elect polititions that meet our needs. At least in theory.
We elect them, they make the laws that the citizens want or we throw them out and start over. See Nov. 2010 mid-term elections!
If we don't get to choose our laws, who in the world are you going to let decide?

Old 12-06-2010, 03:15 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
In my opinion only Illegals should not be allowed to argue or fight for any rights, at all. After all growing up i was told that something illegal was something that was wrong not right, i still feel this way. Want rights, do it the legal way, or just go away.
So by your logic...any person who has committed and been convicted of a crime-any crime-should not have rights-correct?

I dont think that's quite what the Founding Fathers had in mind.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:03 PM

18,403 posts, read 19,031,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
This is exactly why we need to only vote politicians who will enforce current laws, end birthright citizenship to foreigners and change stupid laws such as this.

All of us here need to demand this from people who represent us or we stick together and elect someone who will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ten View Post
Of course we do!They're called elections. We elect polititions that meet our needs. At least in theory.
We elect them, they make the laws that the citizens want or we throw them out and start over. See Nov. 2010 mid-term elections!
If we don't get to choose our laws, who in the world are you going to let decide?
in theory yes, our law makers represent the collective us, however to end birth right would take way more than the election of a few folks to office. to end birth right might mean changing the 14th amendment, no easy task. good luck with that one. we would have more luck enforcing the laws we already have which we seem to be reluctant to do.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:15 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
citizen or not everyone in the US has constitutional rights. taking them away from one group can opens the door to taking the rights a way from others. we don't get to pick and choose who gets rights and protection in the US. one of the things that makes us great
They had their hearing. They were issued a deportation order, thus they have nothing left to fight. That's how it works. I work in an ICE detention center. They are given a chance to access a lawyer and fight their case. Once a Judge finds against them, as they normally due, they are issued a deportation order. Thus they can fight nothing.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:19 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:
would your rather we just ignore the constitution?
No I'd rather they not be treated like some special group under persecution. Don't forget they are committing a crime just being here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration