Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to sponsor an Illegal Immigrant?
Yes, I would be more than willing to act as sponsor to illegal immigrants. 19 7.09%
No, but I would be happy to pay a higher personal tax to help pay for their support. 7 2.61%
No, but I would be happy to host them in my home if someone else pays me for it. 2 0.75%
No. I do not wish to support illegal immigrants in ANY way with my tax dollars or personal income. 240 89.55%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:12 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I made no assumptions...maybe the manager did.

PS there is a difference in being in shape and being quilified.
I doubt it. Didn't you mention both being in shape and being qualified? It's not like they were applying for a job that requires at least a high school education. Remain in denial if you want but those who have strictly Hispanic migrant workers in the field and those who have strictly Hispanic workers on other jobs, they won't hire a non-hispanic to work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I doubt it. Didn't you mention both being in shape and being qualified? It's not like they were applying for a job that requires at least a high school education. Remain in denial if you want but those who have strictly Hispanic migrant workers in the field and those who have strictly Hispanic workers on other jobs, they won't hire a non-hispanic to work there.
A Hispanic better speak Spanish or he WONT be hired by most Hispanic bosses. I know cause I speak only English.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Crops have a short picking time, if one wants to work farm work...I would suggest that they take the job seriously and go to farms and find out when the crops are comming into season, and discuss work conditions and pay.

With all due respect, just because one is willing to work...does not make the person quilified for th job.
Actually, I do have agricultural work experience. My parents grew small groves of oranges, lemons and apricots, which we sold as a sideline. I picked cotton in Arizona, managed a very large grapevine which produced raisins for "California Raisins" and I worked on a dairy cattle ranch, which included helping to artificially inseminate cows, clean calf pens, work with the milking machine, etc... My request for work was an HONEST and SERIOUS one.

I am more than qualified for this work.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
We are both in shape, considering we hike no less than 9 miles during the week, plus on weekends do a 10 to 12 mile loop (which we have been known to complete in under 2 hours).

Qualified? Well, I have two hands attached to perfectly functioning arms, as well as two well-toned legs attached to strong feet. I can lift, carry, reach and bend. I think that about covers it.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
We are both in shape, considering we hike no less than 9 miles during the week, plus on weekends do a 10 to 12 mile loop (which we have been known to complete in under 2 hours).

Qualified? Well, I have two hands attached to perfectly functioning arms, as well as two well-toned legs attached to strong feet. I can lift, carry, reach and bend. I think that about covers it.
The kicker though is, you are a legal worker, probably not Hispanic and don't speak Spanish. I would imagine that is why you didn't get hired.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
the kicker though is, you are a legal worker, probably not hispanic and don't speak spanish. I would imagine that is why you didn't get hired.
bingo!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
I was raised on a Dairy Farm.

Some may remember, a couple years ago, Farmers and illegal supporters had a program out, (I forgot the name) something like, " Dare To Take This Job"...anyway, they were dare legal citizens to sign up for agriculture jobs. If you signed up, they'd contact and assign you to an Ag job in your area.
I signed up to about 10 jobs in different states and they all come back saying
either there was no Ag jobs in that area,but I knew damn well there was.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
It's one thing to just hire illegals solely to pay as little as possible. But to hire them because "they are such good, ethical workers", then why should they be paid any less than a legal citizen?

But I'm spreading farther out from just farming with this.

There are jobs where the wages dropped over the last 20 years or so because employers simply wanted to stockpile more profits. Construction work is a good example. Whipping out the hammer and nails used to be very sought-after jobs that paid well. Two decades ago or longer, those jobs paid around $10 an hour, maybe even more. Today, that is probably what the illegals make ~ IF that.

My point is, farming is only a part of what illegals are hired to do, and many of the jobs they take are NOT necessarily jobs that "no one else wants". Sadly, there ARE people out there, those with less skills, willing to do some of those jobs. Hotel service workers, for example.

Here in Oregon we don't pump our own gas. We're one of only two states left that provides gas attendant jobs, and people are happy to do them. I don't think many illegals, if any, are hired to pump gas; rather, I'd say most are average legal citizens. Point I'm stressing here, is that there ARE people with mid-to-lower skills, and needs, for jobs.

Yes, we have far more illegal immigrants in the US than we should even try to accommodate. But, quite frankly, as much as I resent it, I don't blame THEM. I blame their own government, our government, and American employers who have contributed to the decline of the economic work force for being cheap bastards.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
It's one thing to just hire illegals solely to pay as little as possible. But to hire them because "they are such good, ethical workers", then why should they be paid any less than a legal citizen?

But I'm spreading farther out from just farming with this.

There are jobs where the wages dropped over the last 20 years or so because employers simply wanted to stockpile more profits. Construction work is a good example. Whipping out the hammer and nails used to be very sought-after jobs that paid well. Two decades ago or longer, those jobs paid around $10 an hour, maybe even more. Today, that is probably what the illegals make ~ IF that.

My point is, farming is only a part of what illegals are hired to do, and many of the jobs they take are NOT necessarily jobs that "no one else wants". Sadly, there ARE people out there, those with less skills, willing to do some of those jobs. Hotel service workers, for example.

Here in Oregon we don't pump our own gas. We're one of only two states left that provides gas attendant jobs, and people are happy to do them. I don't think many illegals, if any, are hired to pump gas; rather, I'd say most are average legal citizens. Point I'm stressing here, is that there ARE people with mid-to-lower skills, and needs, for jobs.

Yes, we have far more illegal immigrants in the US than we should even try to accommodate. But, quite frankly, as much as I resent it, I don't blame THEM. I blame their own government, our government, and American employers who have contributed to the decline of the economic work force for being cheap bastards.
I agreed with everything you said till your last paragraph. First, we shouldn't be accomodating "any" illegal aliens. Second, I put the blame on all guilty parties and one of them is the illegal aliens themselves. They aren't little children with no conscience or no knowledge of our immigration laws. They are equally guilty along with the greedy employers who hire them.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
I agreed with everything you said till your last paragraph. First, we shouldn't be accomodating "any" illegal aliens. Second, I put the blame on all guilty parties and one of them is the illegal aliens themselves. They aren't little children with no conscience or no knowledge of our immigration laws. They are equally guilty along with the greedy employers who hire them.
Actually, I agree with you more than you realize. I based my comment on human nature ~ doing what you know you'll get away with if you're desperate enough to take the risk.

Problem is, many of them cannot get regular, full-time work. I truly believe there are more migrants than we can provide jobs for.

And we can't ignore the fact that many criminals cross right over with the honorable ones. Some fall into criminal activity when their efforts (work) don't meet their needs (we have more than enough of that from our own citizens as it is!). I am forever amazed when I pour over the police logs and mug shots. Which creates another problem ~ jail space.

Having grown up in a rural area, most of the Mexican field workers in the 60's & 70's were already smuggling in illegally. Difference is, back then they rarely brought their families with them. And they shouldn't.

There are reasons why strict immigration laws were established so long ago ~ to control the economical need, and for health and safety concerns. those with health-medical afflictions that posed a threat were not allowed on American soil. Plain and simple. Today, we don't know who brings in what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration