Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times

Advertisements

How dare a store in the USA not display Spanish signs.

Target Store Puts English Only Signs In New Development - Area Latinos Claim Ethnic Cleansing, Racism : Diggers Realm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 12:02 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Boo Hoo . . . want Spanish signage? Simple solution . . . go to a Spanish speaking country!

Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
... Parisa Norouzi, co-director of Empower DC, an organization that assists lower-income District residents with housing, child services, and government accountability, was also pessimistic about the signs. “The lack of bilingual signs is indicative of who the development project was planned for,” Norouzi said. “If the Target was planned to serve the residents of the community, [accommodations, including signs] would have been a major factor. This is a good example of a major realtor feeling they have no need to serve their community.”
Parisa isn't the sharpest tool in the shed, it seems. The 'development project was planned for' the citizens of this country who actually know English, not for people who come here and expect us to change for them! But go on, keep on spouting nonsense out of that piehole of yours Parisa, for doing so only turns more and more of us against their cause.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:54 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Hell; what would really enrage the MEChA crowd would be to use Castilian Spanish in the signage

Sorry; this ol' Redneck Gringo has had it with any non English speaking 'culture' demanding that we accommodate it in its tongue.

The one exception for having another language would be for public health/safety reasons.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:57 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Good for them. Unfortunately I don't see them removing them from my store here in TX.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:58 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
This is exactly why i'm trying to bolt outta the DC area next year and why less and less people have respect for the spanish language.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:

Oh, Boo Hoo.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:40 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Why is it Spanish? Spanish speaking people aren't the only ones who immigrate to the US, but they are the only group that demands everything be in their native language.
I say this because my city has a very large Sudanese community, FOB as the saying goes......yet they learn English, and their children do as well.

In all seriousness, why are other immigrants expected to learn English in a short amount of time, yet Hispanic immigrants get a pass for never learning English?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Here in Orange County,CA you will find stores use many languages, from Thai, Mandarin to Korean and Spanish. Do they all do this? No, but it usually depends on the area...you may not see English at all on the menu. This same goes for NYC and San Francisco. My electric has phones lines for all of these languages and it is entirely based on the area.

If I were a store in a very ethnic area I would print my signs to the main demographics based just out of logic that a lot of these people are fresh immigrants and may not know English that well.

However, this is America and I am all about letting commerce do its thing, these companies can decide to lose/gain business however they like IMO.

No doubt Target will lose some business over this.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Here in Orange County,CA you will find stores use many languages, from Thai, Mandarin to Korean and Spanish. Do they all do this? No, but it usually depends on the area...you may not see English at all on the menu. This same goes for NYC and San Francisco. My electric has phones lines for all of these languages and it is entirely based on the area.

If I were a store in a very ethnic area I would print my signs to the main demographics based just out of logic that a lot of these people are fresh immigrants and may not know English that well.

However, this is America and I am all about letting commerce do its thing, these companies can decide to lose/gain business however they like IMO.

No doubt Target will lose some business over this.
The reality is that it is extremely difficult for native speakers of the first three languages to even get into the USA-------compared to Spanish speakers from Mexico, and a lesser extent, from Central America. The above separates the 'wheat from the chaff' quite nicely.

Too; the listed Asian minorities assimilate into American society as an amazing rate, if not the parents perhaps, but the children will

As for Target; its courage may wind up attracting many customers (like myself) who would look for any excuse to 'flip off' Wal-Mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration