Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 11:58 AM

547 posts, read 1,185,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What about all the hopes and dreams of the poor who don't illegally come here? Where is the compassion for them? If someone approaches you in your yard demanding money would you give it to them? This is exactly what the Illegals are saying by suing tax payers.
At some point you have to get tough, change policies and shut it off. If you don't you are enabling millions more to come here illegally. It is not the fault of the US it is the fault of their home Countries. I'm tired of getting ripped off!! It's my money they are looting. Yours too!
Thanks, 1AngryTaxPayer. I agree, I have always had a lot of compassion for all the American citizens and legal residents struggling. In fact, I have become one of them now. I think maybe you may have missed in my original message that I am not in support of handouts to illegals, but quite the opposite. I just worry about the future of our country if we deny so many of the children already here, an education. I think it's ludicrous for illegal individuals in this country to be able to sue tax payers or even protest in our streets. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One thing that would help is to do away with this bilingual crap in the schools: if such was acceptable for Italians, Hungarians, Jews, Poles, Japanese, etc.----------why should Spanish speakers get a break. Needless to say: I am referring to the core classes AKA the traditional 3 R's......not language classes like French, Spanish, etc.

Assimilate or be left behind------------it is as simple as that. Maybe there would be more effort at home to teach the kids English instead of their ancestral tongues only.
I totally agree with you ArizonaBear. My grandparents only spoke English in front of my mother while she was growing up. They learned as quickly as they could so they would have English speaking only children. They and the other LEGAL immigrant adults would get together and discuss things in their native language (Norwegian) only behind closed doors, away from the children. Unfortunately, because we have made it so easy for Spanish speaking legal and illegal immigrants NOT to have to learn English, there is no incentive, requirement or desire to learn, among many.

To those of you who will now jump on our comments and say we are being racist because we are taking about Spanish speaking people. Don't even TRY to go there. Spanish is the only language we cater to here in the United States, therefore this does not apply to any other group of immigrants.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
I totally agree with you ArizonaBear. My grandparents only spoke English in front of my mother while she was growing up. They learned as quickly as they could so they would have English speaking only children. They and the other LEGAL immigrant adults would get together and discuss things in their native language (Norwegian) only behind closed doors, away from the children. Unfortunately, because we have made it so easy for Spanish speaking legal and illegal immigrants NOT to have to learn English, there is no incentive, requirement or desire to learn, among many.

To those of you who will now jump on our comments and say we are being racist because we are taking about Spanish speaking people. Don't even TRY to go there. Spanish is the only language we cater to here in the United States, therefore this does not apply to any other group of immigrants.
In the long run it hurts the kids. The business world does not have bilingual meetings. I work in a multi-national company and we have meetings consisting of people from all over the world. Guess which language we use ? English. All the other countries teach English in their schools.

When HS seniors graduate and still talk in broken English yet got that diploma and an automatic entry into Community College what does that say about American education standards ?

I do not make this up..I'm in Texas and my son just graduated HS. I know many of his classmates and their families. Some of these kids have gone through 12 years of US schooling and their parents still do not speak English and they speak just enough slang to get by with their friends.

It's frustrating to see this but how can you blame the people themselves when our system bends over backwards to accomodate them to where they don't need to learn the language ?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post

As you stated.

Hell: that 'race card' pertaining to Spanish speakers is a farce anyway...........not all Hispanics are Mestizos despite la raza's insinuations to the contrary.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
In the long run it hurts the kids. The business world does not have bilingual meetings. I work in a multi-national company and we have meetings consisting of people from all over the world. Guess which language we use ? English. All the other countries teach English in their schools.

When HS seniors graduate and still talk in broken English yet got that diploma and an automatic entry into Community College what does that say about American education standards ?

I do not make this up..I'm in Texas and my son just graduated HS. I know many of his classmates and their families. Some of these kids have gone through 12 years of US schooling and their parents still do not speak English and they speak just enough slang to get by with their friends.

It's frustrating to see this but how can you blame the people themselves when our system bends over backwards to accomodate them to where they don't need to learn the language ?
The standards need to be tightened up; if it means certain minorities get left behind courtesy of their ineptitude----------tough. Besides; a disproportionate number of said 'minorities' are here illegally.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:08 PM

559 posts, read 1,356,552 times
In NJ the cost per student exceeds 13,000 . Our schools are funded by property taxes which are either the highest in the nation or second highest. Considering I had to provide Birth Certificates for my kids to enroll in school, how are children not supposed to be here getting in?

Let La Raza set up schools for the illegals, I can't afford it and still feed my own kids.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I agree, except I can blame the people themselves as well because I believe the immigrants have to accept responsibility for their own actions or inactions. It is their responsibility to protect and nurture their children, not start them out with additional obstacles to overcome. IMHO

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 PM

53 posts, read 93,174 times
Plyler vs Doe anyone? The Supreme court case?

Plyler v. Doe

undocumented children get the education wether you like it or not! supreme court ruled on it a long time agao

Old 08-14-2009, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,856 times
I'm going to make an assumption about almost everyone posting here: I think almost all would self-identify as Christian. I do, and constantly strive to act as I believe Christ would. I don't always, but I try. Yes, they have "broken the law"--a Misdemeanor, but being Christian is not about judging others, it's supposed to be striving to make OUR own behavior comport with Christ's. I've always considered "The Beatitudes" to be the center of His teachings. Please re-read them and ask yourself, Would He call people illegal, scapegoat them for almost all of our country's problems, make assumptions about them based on rumors, not want them to be healthy or educated, etc. As long as so many American Citizens think of illegal immigrants as "the other," we won't really work on our problems constructively. Why do employers hire them? To save money by paying them less, thus being able to make MORE profit and charging you and me less for what they produce. To quote Thom Hartmann: We don't have an illegal Immigrant problem,we have an illegal Employer problem. 1. They are here. 2. They are also God's children. 3. They have fled their countries of origin out of necessity; yes I would like to help improve their country, but just getting OURS back on line is overwhelming. 3. "get the borders closed" is what we've been trying to do for generations. Please be realistic--it's just not possible, so Monitoring and Regulation are all we can depend on. 4. Yes, they present with problems, who doesn't? We could, however, look at the STRENGTHS they also bring, which are MANY! 5. I know it's easier to kick the immigrant, but our CONSTRUCTIVE anger should be applied to changing laws that allow the ultra-rich and corporations to funnel BILLIONS of what should be U.S. dollars to China, India, etc., Off-shore tax shelters, And finally...6. WWJD?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemagaba View Post
I'm going to make an assumption about almost everyone posting here: I think almost all would self-identify as Christian. I do, and constantly strive to act as I believe Christ would. I don't always, but I try. Yes, they have "broken the law"--a Misdemeanor, but being Christian is not about judging others, it's supposed to be striving to make OUR own behavior comport with Christ's. I've always considered "The Beatitudes" to be the center of His teachings. Please re-read them and ask yourself, Would He call people illegal, scapegoat them for almost all of our country's problems, make assumptions about them based on rumors, not want them to be healthy or educated, etc. As long as so many American Citizens think of illegal immigrants as "the other," we won't really work on our problems constructively. Why do employers hire them? To save money by paying them less, thus being able to make MORE profit and charging you and me less for what they produce. To quote Thom Hartmann: We don't have an illegal Immigrant problem,we have an illegal Employer problem. 1. They are here. 2. They are also God's children. 3. They have fled their countries of origin out of necessity; yes I would like to help improve their country, but just getting OURS back on line is overwhelming. 3. "get the borders closed" is what we've been trying to do for generations. Please be realistic--it's just not possible, so Monitoring and Regulation are all we can depend on. 4. Yes, they present with problems, who doesn't? We could, however, look at the STRENGTHS they also bring, which are MANY! 5. I know it's easier to kick the immigrant, but our CONSTRUCTIVE anger should be applied to changing laws that allow the ultra-rich and corporations to funnel BILLIONS of what should be U.S. dollars to China, India, etc., Off-shore tax shelters, And finally...6. WWJD?
Since you have chosen to inject God into this discussion, what about the Ten Commandments? Let’s see, Thou Shalt Not Steal – Many citizens of this country have had their identities stolen by illegal aliens “seeking a better life.” Thou Shalt Not Kill – Many citizens of this country have been killed by illegals “seeking a better life.” Thou Shalt Not Covet Thy Neighbor – Yes, we have more opportunities in this country. However, rather than coveting what we have, illegal aliens should fight to improve their countries of origin, instead of relying on lying, cheating, and stealing in this country to improve their lives.

Yes, we are all human beings. However, even God punishes those who break His Commandments. I don’t recall God mentioning “with the exception of” those seeking a better life.

Last edited by Benicar; 08-14-2009 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration