Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:54 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times

Advertisements

This is off-topic, but I just wanted to say that it just isn't illegal immigrants that are causing a problem with the welfare system, it's anyone that abuses it. They want to talk about debt, Republicans are fighting Democrats all the time over spending. What they need to look at is all of the "handouts." We have to eat and times get hard, but there is WAY too much abuse going on. Plus, we are like one of the most overweight countries on the planet. If you see the things that people buy with these EBT cards, you'd be like, "Really, do you need THAT much?" So, if less money was paid out then that would make the recipients spend the money much more wisely instead of wasting $10 on millions of bags of Cheetos or Little Debbie cakes. I find that I get more for my money when I eat healthy, that's just my experience. Also, the more money they get, the more they will buy that they don't need.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:59 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,211,499 times
The problem with our welfare system is not that "abuse" is super rampant or anything, it's that some of the programs are just not cost-efficient. But whatever.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
The problem with our welfare system is not that "abuse" is super rampant or anything, it's that some of the programs are just not cost-efficient. But whatever.
No, I know for a fact that abuse is super-rampant. You're right though, it is not efficient. The amounts given and the criteria are enabling over-payment and encourage abuse.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:53 PM

34 posts, read 22,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No, I don’t think hyperbole is involved at all. Tell me, would you consider it a moral obligation to deny food to your children to feed your neighbor’s kids?
Yes, family is different. But what does that have to do with the question? Unless you treat every citizen of the US the exact same as family then your response is just nonsensical.

Quote:
But, you must realize there are millions of poor in this country who have no legal right be here, and are draining us dry. You can’t compare the needs of citizens with those of illegal aliens. Citizens, regardless of socioeconomic status, have a right to live in this country. Illegal aliens do not.
Except that numbers don't back this up. Widening the tax base is good for social programs. 75% of illegals pay their taxes just like Americans do, and even more would if we gave them an easier path to a visa. The numbers keep saying it's about a break even proposition right now, while the people ignoring the numbers are talking about being drained dry.

Again, this program is for an American child. I don't have to equate her needs to those of illegal aliens, because she's a citizen and has a right not live in this country. All this hand wringing about "a law is a law because it's the law" and what "makes people American" and you are ignoring the ACTUAL LAWS THAT MAKE PEOPLE AMERICAN.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,626 times
Quote:
Our financial involvement in Iraq, Afghanistan, or any other country has no relevance to the issue of illegal immigration. Other than, they are ALL draining us dry. So, since we are squandering billions in foreign lands, we should also squander billions here on illegal aliens? And, yes, illegal immigration is costing us BILLIONS annually. Footing the bill for their K-12 education alone is bankrupting school districts. Sadly, they don’t even appreciate it, as evidenced by their high dropout rate.
This isn't an answer. Give me a dollar amount.

Personally I am against flushing money down the toilet on overseas boondoggles. I don't see why we have to accept THAT expense as some unchangable given, while we ARE able to debate spending on food assistance for kids. Just give me some dollar amounts. SHOW me that this sort of assistance is as big of a boondoggle as you claim. Let's see the numbers. you obviously have some data, since you use the word "billions," so share it with us.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
We will ALWAYS take care of children who are here regardless of how they got here. That's a given and part of being a civilized society. The issues that need resolving start BEFORE that point but we think yanking food from them will solve anything? Nope.

Abuse is abuse and it's more often AMERICANS who abuse the system. Fact. Now...what are we going to do about it?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:10 PM

89 posts, read 50,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Since you've intentionally missed the point (the new liberal tactic apparently), I'll answer - YES. If you can't afford to feed, cloth and house your children, you should not have them.

Not that difficult to understand.
So, do you not understand biology, or do you believe in forced abortions?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
We will ALWAYS take care of children who are here regardless of how they got here. That's a given and part of being a civilized society. The issues that need resolving start BEFORE that point but we think yanking food from them will solve anything? Nope.

Abuse is abuse and it's more often AMERICANS who abuse the system. Fact. Now...what are we going to do about it?
Then our government needs to give them one meal and ship them back to their homelands with their parents instead of feeding them for 18 years. That's pretty civilized in my book. Again, Americans have a right to welfare when needed, however I am all for ending any abuse there also.

Last edited by chicagonut; 07-08-2011 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM

34 posts, read 22,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Then our government needs to give them one meal and ship them back to their homelands with their parents instead feeding them for 18 years. That's pretty civilized in my book. Again, Americans have a right to welfare when needed, however I am all for ending any abuse there also.
So Americans born here need to be deported away from their homeland (America) all because you don't like that when they get food stamps (which they qualify for, as Americans) as minors then their non-American parents have to be the ones handling the transaction at the grocery store for the food? That's how you back up your claims to be "pretty civilized" and that Americans have a right to welfare?

Old 07-08-2011, 03:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Since you've intentionally missed the point (the new liberal tactic apparently), I'll answer - YES. If you can't afford to feed, cloth and house your children, you should not have them.

Not that difficult to understand.
OK, so why is helping one group good and helping the other group bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration