Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
You're still wrong about the US. It doesn't really matter what they will do in China.

Do you think the US should be more like China?
the US constitution apply to American Citizens, no one else, so illegals have the same rights as my Dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
the US constitution apply to American Citizens, no one else, so illegals have the same rights as my Dog.
You can repeat that a few more times but it will still be wrong.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times
Quote:
You can repeat that a few more times but it will still be wrong.
Are you saying that Illegal Criminal Aliens have as many rights as legal American citizens?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Are you saying that Illegal Criminal Aliens have as many rights as legal American citizens?
No. The claim I'm disputing is that they have "no civil rights" or "the same rights as my dog" along with "the Constitution only applies to US citizens". Clearly there are SOME "rights" that citizens have that non-citizens (legal or otherwise) don't.

Of course, the Constitution doesn't grant ANY rights to ANYONE, so even if it did only apply to citizens it wouldn't matter.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:28 AM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
Quote:
Wow, this is so off base.

A) you can't just assume that laws were passed with good intentions
B) even if you do, there are always unintended consequences regardless of intent so it's still valid to question existing laws
C) our immigration system was in no way built so that "incoming immigrants can integrate into society as we become prepared for them and can utilize their abilities" - what even gave you this idea?

As for your concluding analogy, I really can't figure out what you're actually trying to say other than "status quo good, change bad."

All I can say is that you apparently don't follow very well.

People that come to this country legally need to have a special skill that is in high demand. They have to show they can support themselves and not use any entitlements for 5 years. They are screened for medical problems and criminal history. They have to meet a criteria that shows they won't be a detrement to the taxpayers. Can I make it any clearer than that?

In another post the imaginary line in the sand was brought up. My comment to that is that it isn't imaginary to those that look for the closest hospital to have their baby or the closest Welfare office to see what the jackpot of the day amounts to. It's also not imaginary when they apply for a job and use fake or stolen identification to take a job that an American should have. A line isn't imaginary when you pursue benefits that don't exist on the other side of such line. In fact it looks as though the imaginary line consists of flashing neon lights. Why would someone that loves America want to see her downgraded by allowing the poverty of the world cross her doorstep?

The question I pose to you is how is this good for our country? If you think our immigration laws should be changed could you explain to me how that would be beneficial, please? If a law should be changed, I would think that it should happen because it would help the majority of those with voting rights in our country, not just the rich and not a small minority. Please answer my question without dodging and spinning. And please address the bold.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
All I can say is that you apparently don't follow very well.

People that come to this country legally need to have a special skill that is in high demand. They have to show they can support themselves and not use any entitlements for 5 years. They are screened for medical problems and criminal history. They have to meet a criteria that shows they won't be a detrement to the taxpayers. Can I make it any clearer than that?
Uh, there's no confusion on my part with respect to what the current immigration laws are.

Quote:
In another post the imaginary line in the sand was brought up. My comment to that is that it isn't imaginary to those that look for the closest hospital to have their baby or the closest Welfare office to see what the jackpot of the day amounts to. It's also not imaginary when they apply for a job and use fake or stolen identification to take a job that an American should have. A line isn't imaginary when you pursue benefits that don't exist on the other side of such line. In fact it looks as though the imaginary line consists of flashing neon lights. Why would someone that loves America want to see her downgraded by allowing the poverty of the world cross her doorstep?

The question I pose to you is how is this good for our country? If you think our immigration laws should be changed could you explain to me how that would be beneficial, please? If a law should be changed, I would think that it should happen because it would help the majority of those with voting rights in our country, not just the rich and not a small minority. Please answer my question without dodging and spinning. And please address the bold.
So poor people are bad for America in your opinion?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Uh, there's no confusion on my part with respect to what the current immigration laws are.

So poor people are bad for America in your opinion?

How do they help? Again you dodged my question.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
How do they help? Again you dodged my question.
How do they help? People hire them to do work. That's self-evident that they're doing something people value.

PS: they pay taxes, too.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmadinejad View Post
Well we willfully ignore the dumber ones all the time, but whatever. The point is that yes, sometimes I do "support" criminal behavior.

The problem is, you are in the minority in your belief that allowing people to illegally cross our borders is one of the dumber ones.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
How do they help? People hire them to do work. That's self-evident that they're doing something people value.

PS: they pay taxes, too.

In an underminig way that is detremental to the country.

They take value away from the country by taking more than they contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration