Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Everyone's documents are checked prior to entering an airline terminal. I've been checked everytime on domestic flights. Yeah, I must have been profiled being Hispanic.

What makes this any different?
It's really not. TSA document checks are also an affront to liberty (not to mention completely ineffective in their overt purpose of stopping terrorists).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
...BPA who are making random checks unlike the ticket checkers whose job it is day in and day out to check tickets.
Ticket checkers are a totally different animal. A ticket checker is making sure you paid for what you're getting.

The issue here is the government keeping track of your movements when it's none of their business. The airline/bus company keeping track of your movements on their planes and buses clearly is their business.

Quote:
Should Law Enforcement in FL stop making routine highway stops? You wouldn't want them apprehending an undocumented, uninsured, unlicensed driver, would you?
Wow, this could be the worst comparison ever made on this forum.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:46 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
You don't see a problem with demanding papers from people on a regular basis inside the country?
Every single time I fly anywhere I am asked for ID. Why should train or bus passengers be exempt?
In a perfect world where everyone respected and obeyed laws we wouldnt need to even have ID. But we all know this isn't a perfect world.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Every single time I fly anywhere I am asked for ID. Why should train or bus passengers be exempt?
In a perfect world where everyone respected and obeyed laws we wouldnt need to even have ID. But we all know this isn't a perfect world.
I'm not sure how what happens when you fly is relevant. Newspapers in Cuba are censored by the government, why should newspapers in the US be exempt? I mean, this is just sooo lazy. Don't bother trying to defend the activity itself, just say "well THOSE guys do it, so shut up!"

Also, I love your "the world is not perfect, therefore we can ignore rights and constitutions and all of that stuff" argument. Pure gold. I mean, what can you NOT justify with that garbage argument? "In a perfect world we wouldn't need to send you to the gulag. But the world isn't perfect!"

Two for two!

Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I'm not sure how what happens when you fly is relevant. Newspapers in Cuba are censored by the government, why should newspapers in the US be exempt? I mean, this is just sooo lazy. Don't bother trying to defend the activity itself, just say "well THOSE guys do it, so shut up!"

Also, I love your "the world is not perfect, therefore we can ignore rights and constitutions and all of that stuff" argument. Pure gold. I mean, what can you NOT justify with that garbage argument? "In a perfect world we wouldn't need to send you to the gulag. But the world isn't perfect!"

Two for two!
When I fly anywhere in the USA...... I am required to show ID. Its not a bad thing for the airlines to know who is getting on that plane and to verify they are who they claim to be. Same on a bus or train. There is no escape once it is moving. As for an earlier statement you made that it is ineffective? I beg to differ. Since our increased security measures how many hijackings or planes has the USA endured?
Point #2.
In a perfect world we wouldnt need police, wouldnt need soldiers and wouldn't need border patrol. Why? Because everyone would respect the rights of others and the law. But the fact is that this isnt a perfect world.
Illegals for example do not respect our rights nor our laws.
Is it in the constitution that we may not check ID? That we may not enforce our immigration laws? So which is it? You believe in the constitution and therefore the rule of law or you dont?
I f you do then why do you feel we should ignore the laws violated by illegals? Or is it you feel we should only ignore the laws that are inconvenient to illegals? What of our rights as a nation to select whom we deem is acceptable for immigration?
You make quite a stretch between requiring ID to board an aircraft, train or bus to sending people to the gulag for trimped up reasons.
Your 2 for 2 went flat

Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
When I fly anywhere in the USA...... I am required to show ID. Its not a bad thing for the airlines to know who is getting on that plane and to verify they are who they claim to be. Same on a bus or train. There is no escape once it is moving. As for an earlier statement you made that it is ineffective? I beg to differ. Since our increased security measures how many hijackings or planes has the USA endured?
Point #2.
In a perfect world we wouldnt need police, wouldnt need soldiers and wouldn't need border patrol. Why? Because everyone would respect the rights of others and the law. But the fact is that this isnt a perfect world.
Is it in the constitution that we may not check ID? That we may not enforce our immigration laws? So which is it? You believe in the constitution and therefore the rule of law or you dont?
I f you do then why do you feel we should ignore the laws violated by illegals? Or is it you feel we should only ignore the laws that are inconvenient to illegals? What of our rights as a nation to select whom we deem is acceptable for immigration?
You make quite a stretch between requiring ID to board an aircraft, train or bus to sending people to the gulag for trimped up reasons.
Your 2 for 2 went flat
I find it hilarious the way the pro-illegals chase their tails around and around in a circle. First they complain about racial profiling of Hispanics and then when you suggest that everyone be checked under the same circumstances (of which they are anyway) then they claim we are turning into Nazi Germany and or a police state (papers, please). No matter what as long as illegal aliens get detected under either scenario they scream foul. It is too funny watching them constantly grasping at straws and chasing their tails.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I find it hilarious the way the pro-illegals chase their tails around and around in a circle. First they complain about racial profiling of Hispanics and then when you suggest that everyone be checked under the same circumstances (of which they are anyway) then they claim we are turning into Nazi Germany and or a police state (papers, please). No matter what as long as illegal aliens get detected under either scenario they scream foul. It is too funny watching them constantly grasping at straws and chasing their tails.
Ill give the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Do I want cops walking up to me out of the blue demanding papers? Of course not.
Do I want airlines to verify the passengers are who they claim to be? Absolutely. Do I enjoy the exray machines and pat downs? No
I am a combat vet. I have been in firefights. That doesnt mean I would like to be in one at 35,000 feet especially since I wont be armed.
Add to this the obvious abuse by illegals of our laws. 12 million abusers at the very least. I have no doubt criminals detest law enforcment and any procedures used to snare them. Drunks fear check points. Sober drivers are annoyed by check points. The victims of drunks regret that there wernt more check points.
To some it is acceptable that we card people who buy alcohol, cash checks, any number of other routine transactions. For example I would hope a bank checks ID before giving out loans.
Others are for it unless it poses a problem for those here illegally.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
When I fly anywhere in the USA...... I am required to show ID. Its not a bad thing for the airlines to know who is getting on that plane and to verify they are who they claim to be. Same on a bus or train. There is no escape once it is moving.
I don't have a problem with airlines setting whatever requirements they want for the use of their aircraft. That's not what this is about. The requirement to show ID is not imposed by airlines.

I'm not really sure what difference the "there is no escape" makes. Ethics and civil rights just magically disappear when you're in an enclosed space?

Quote:
As for an earlier statement you made that it is ineffective? I beg to differ. Since our increased security measures how many hijackings or planes has the USA endured?
Oh, right. Well, now that you mention it, since I started carrying this magic rock around in my pants I have endured zero tiger attacks. Obviously the rock is working.

Quote:
Point #2.
Yes, I agree with all of this, but so what?

Quote:
Have you read the 4th amendment?

Quote:
No. I don't think the laws should be ignored. In fact, I want people to be VERY aware of them, because I want them REPEALED, not ignored. Just like all bad laws, whether they concern immigration or not, should be repealed.

Quote:
Your 2 for 2 went flat
Yeah, I should have known that would go right over your head.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Yeah, there's nothing contradictory about that. There's no grasping at straws or tail-chasing. But you like to characterize them like that since it's easier than actually discussing the issues.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Ill give the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Do I want cops walking up to me out of the blue demanding papers? Of course not.
Do I want airlines to verify the passengers are who they claim to be? Absolutely. Do I enjoy the exray machines and pat downs? No
I am a combat vet. I have been in firefights. That doesnt mean I would like to be in one at 35,000 feet especially since I wont be armed.
Add to this the obvious abuse by illegals of our laws. 12 million abusers at the very least. I have no doubt criminals detest law enforcment and any procedures used to snare them. Drunks fear check points. Sober drivers are annoyed by check points. The victims of drunks regret that there wernt more check points.
To some it is acceptable that we card people who buy alcohol, cash checks, any number of other routine transactions. For example I would hope a bank checks ID before giving out loans.
Others are for it unless it poses a problem for those here illegally.
I am not advocating for cops walking up to anyone out of the blue asking for "papers" for no good reason either. I thought my views on that were clear. Under the proper circumstances that you named above, absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration