Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymetime View Post
I don't have a problem with airlines setting whatever requirements they want for the use of their aircraft. That's not what this is about. The requirement to show ID is not imposed by airlines.

I'm not really sure what difference the "there is no escape" makes. Ethics and civil rights just magically disappear when you're in an enclosed space?

Oh, right. Well, now that you mention it, since I started carrying this magic rock around in my pants I have endured zero tiger attacks. Obviously the rock is working.

Yes, I agree with all of this, but so what?

Have you read the 4th amendment?

No. I don't think the laws should be ignored. In fact, I want people to be VERY aware of them, because I want them REPEALED, not ignored. Just like all bad laws, whether they concern immigration or not, should be repealed.

Yeah, I should have known that would go right over your head.
Have you ever flown? You are trapped in the plane with your fellow passengers, good or bad. By checking ID to make sure one honest Russian traveler didnt get killed by a Russian mobster who is now using that ticket is a good thing when he might be the guy sitting next to you. What about my right to fly in a safe enviroment?
The security measures have in fact prevented several attempts. Look it up. The bad guys didnt call a time out.
You want certain laws repealed and thats fine. Unfortunately the majority of citizens disagree with the ones you want repealed in regards to immigration. In fact most of us want higher standards. What makes the current laws bad? Other than they set a standard many are unable to rise to. Whose fault that might be is or why is less than relevant.
What is relevent is that many of those you support disregard our laws. That is ignoring the law. No different than any other common criminal. Do we really need more criminals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I am not advocating for cops walking up to anyone out of the blue asking for "papers" for no good reason either. I thought my views on that were clear. Under the proper circumstances that you named above, absolutely!
never said you did. I was simply saying I understood the other posters concerns.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:09 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Have you ever flown? You are trapped in the plane with your fellow passengers, good or bad. By checking ID to make sure one honest Russian traveler didnt get killed by a Russian mobster who is now using that ticket is a good thing when he might be the guy sitting next to you. What about my right to fly in a safe enviroment?
What? Are you serious? The way ID checks are actually conducted doesn't protect against that *at all* and why would a russian mobster kill some random russian guy to steal his ticket rather than just buying his own???

Quote:
The security measures have in fact prevented several attempts. Look it up. The bad guys didnt call a time out.
Really, which ones? I'm not going to "look it up," you do that. You want to make a claim then present the evidence.

Quote:
What is relevent is that many of those you support disregard our laws. That is ignoring the law. No different than any other common criminal. Do we really need more criminals?
Really? You don't see a difference between ignoring, say, a law prohibiting marijuana possession and a law prohibiting bank robbery?

Old 08-16-2011, 02:25 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,868,562 times
It makes it really hard to debate with people when they flat out ignore the unintended consequences of their beliefs.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:33 PM

387 posts, read 591,295 times
I dont think Border Patrol have jurisdiction more than 90 miles from International border They only board buses or trains near border and you have the right to refuse identification. I have seen them near Buffalo and they normally ask you if you citizen or non Citizen
I know lots of illegals who have been detained by Immigration and then released have been given work permit by DHS while their case foes through Immigration Court and it normally takes 5-6 yrs for cases as immigration courts are backlogged

Old 08-16-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
PAPERS PLEASE!

Yeah, horrible idea.

Oh, and I'm sure no racial profiling will be involved, right?

Could you please point out in the article where it says that she was the only one checked? It says she felt as if they were coming for her (because she knew she was guilty) and that they went straight to the back of the bus to start their check.

This is another article written to humanize an event to support an agenda. You see, they didn't quote anyone else on the bus...such as those that were traveling legally. Only this one poor sole that entered our country illegally and is somehow being mistreated because she is subjected to the same checks that citizens are subjected to.

And on top of it, she is getting off because this administration has decided to enforce the Dream act that wasn't passed into law.

How about I don't like being subjected to the laws that weren't passed????

Old 08-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
I dont think Border Patrol have jurisdiction more than 90 miles from International border They only board buses or trains near border and you have the right to refuse identification. I have seen them near Buffalo and they normally ask you if you citizen or non Citizen
I know lots of illegals who have been detained by Immigration and then released have been given work permit by DHS while their case foes through Immigration Court and it normally takes 5-6 yrs for cases as immigration courts are backlogged

Now that makes more sense. It's another backdoor attempt at amnesty against the wishes of the majority. The corruption in this administration is beyond belief.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:52 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Could you please point out in the article where it says that she was the only one checked?
No, I can't, but I didn't claim that it did say that nor does my point depend on it.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:01 PM

387 posts, read 591,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Now that makes more sense. It's another backdoor attempt at amnesty against the wishes of the majority. The corruption in this administration is beyond belief.
This has nothing to do with this Administration Illegals have been coming even during Bush time. Probably if you check home of any Congressman you will find an illegal at his home taking care of his yard or children
DHS has prosecutor jurisdiction and they normally dont detain you unless you have a criminal record They just release you on bond and give you a court date and you can even apply for work permit and SSN

Old 08-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
No, I can't, but I didn't claim that it did say that nor does my point depend on it.

In post number two you stated that this would lead to racial profiling.

If everyone is checked are we profiling everybody?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration