Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:07 AM

403 posts, read 334,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
You are a glutten, aren't you. My post was edited @ 1:14PM your post to my comment was at 1:18PM, sorry, but you are simply wrong or can't tell time.
Why does my post contain your original post, not the edited one? It's because it takes me a decent amount of time to type a post from my phone while I'm driving...

I prefer cool story bro.

"Increased claims for social services" is not the same as "high birth rates." It would make sense that, if access to these programs has increased for illegal immigrants over the years, claims would increase. That doesn't say anything about their birth rates, however. And still, there is an overwhelming downward trend in birth rates that's only accelerated since the housing crash so that Hispanic birth rates are dropping at three times the rate of the average, so again hysterical claims that people are coming here illegally specifically to support their third-world birth-rates seem to be much more of a non-issue than it's being made out to be. I mean, I believe we are already at or below the replacement level birth rates, so concerns of overpopulation due to millions upon millions of kids being born to illegal immigrants seem to be misguided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
From your linked source. . .

It’s interesting that you chose to only report on the overall decline in the U.S. birthrate, supported by a graph of said decline, while failing to report the unprecedented increase in the Hispanic population, which is primarily attributed to the high birthrate among “immigrants” from Mexico.

For accurate accounting, one must have both debits and credits. Likewise, both the decline and increase must be presented to have an accurate accounting of birthrates. You presented only one side of the equation. I wonder why.
What do you mean it's interesting that I chose to only report the overall decline in the U.S. birthrate? It's not interesting at all considering the post I was responding to which said something to the effect of social programs were encouraging immigrants to maintain "third world" birth rates and some such. I simply pointed to the birth rates to show that if this was happening it wasn't having that great of an effect on the overall birth rates ergo it's a non issue.

Why would I care that the Hispanic population is increasing? Yes their birthrates may be high when they first come here, but living in our society seems to be having the effect of causing them to have less kids as evidenced by the steadily declining birth rates.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,849,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
...It’s interesting that you chose to only report on the overall decline in the U.S. birthrate, supported by a graph of said decline, while failing to report the unprecedented increase in the Hispanic population, which is primarily attributed to the high birthrate among “immigrants” from Mexico...
What portion of the U.S. Hispanic population and "Mexican immigrants" are you attributing as illegal aliens?...

Old 09-14-2011, 09:31 AM

This article is dated in 2007, right before the housing crash. Want to take a guess what happened to it after the crash?

The Audacious Epigone: Hispanic birth rates declining more steeply than non-Hispanic birth rates

Quote:
Hispanic birth rates declining more steeply than non-Hispanic birth rates

The Arizonan trend showing a steeper decline in the Hispanic fertility rate than in the non-Hispanic black and white fertility rates over the last several years is not an anomaly, but instead illustrative of the same sort of fertility pattern at the national level. Over the three year period from 2007-2009, Hispanic fertility declined at three times the rate of the non-Hispanic white fertility decline. The rates for non-Hispanic blacks, Asians, and Native Americans declined at at a slightly faster clip than for non-Hispanic whites:

Quote:
If trends continue at the same pace for each classification (which strikes me as highly unlikely), there will be near birthrate parity, at 50 births per 1000 women, for all five racial groups in 2031--a situation in which the TFR for all groups would be well below what is needed for population replacement to occur.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viridian Ideals View Post
This article is dated in 2007, right before the housing crash. Want to take a guess what happened to it after the crash?
Your source is a pro-illegal blog? Don't make me laugh.

And, that changes actual census data, how? Funny, you would only comment on a 2007 report, while ignoring the 2010 data which clearly indicates an unprecedented increase in the Hispanic birthrate, fueled by “immigrants” from Mexico.

Quote:
The U.S. population grew at a slower pace overall in the past decade while the Hispanic birth rate surged, according to government data that offered estimates of what the decennial census is likely to show.
Population of U.S. Grew More Slowly in Past Decade, Census Estimates Show - Bloomberg

Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
What portion of the U.S. Hispanic population and "Mexican immigrants" are you attributing as illegal aliens?...
The largest group of Hispanic “immigrants” in the U.S. is comprised of Mexicans. Given the following info, I think it’s safe to assume the bulk of the unprecedented births are the result of illegal immigration from Mexico. In addition, you can read the articles I linked which indicate the same.

Quote:
Immigration, both legal and illegal, remains high, however, and over the past 12 years the number of immigrants coming into the United States illegally has surpassed those coming legally despite tighter security, according to the report by the Pew Hispanic Center, a nonpartisan research center in Washington, D.C. Arizona was among the states that experienced some of the greatest increases in immigration, the report said.
New Illegal Immigrants to US Surpass Legal Immigrants

Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
What do you mean it's interesting that I chose to only report the overall decline in the U.S. birthrate? It's not interesting at all considering the post I was responding to which said something to the effect of social programs were encouraging immigrants to maintain "third world" birth rates and some such. I simply pointed to the birth rates to show that if this was happening it wasn't having that great of an effect on the overall birth rates ergo it's a non issue.

Why would I care that the Hispanic population is increasing? Yes their birthrates may be high when they first come here, but living in our society seems to be having the effect of causing them to have less kids as evidenced by the steadily declining birth rates.
It’s interesting, because you were intellectually dishonest. Notwithstanding the overall decline in the U.S. birthrate, the Hispanic birthrate surged, not steadily declined, as you contend.

Quote:
With immigration slowing, babies born in the U.S. rather than newly arrived Mexican immigrants are now driving most of the fast growth in the Latino population.

The analysis focuses on the growth of Mexican-Americans, who make up more than 60 percent of the U.S. Hispanic population. Tracing a mass Mexican migration to the U.S. that began in 1970 and reached its height during the 1990s, it finds that young Mexicans who crossed the border many years ago are now adding to the population by having many children. That is a contrast to other racial and ethnic groups, who on average are older.
Births, not new immigrants, push US Latino growth - Thursday, July 14, 2011 | 10:23 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun (http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/jul/14/us-census-births-vs-immigration-1st-ld-writethru/ - broken link)

Old 09-14-2011, 11:54 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,932 times
Quote:
"Increased claims for social services" is not the same as "high birth rates." It would make sense that, if access to these programs has increased for illegal immigrants over the years, claims would increase. That doesn't say anything about their birth rates, however. And still, there is an overwhelming downward trend in birth rates that's only accelerated since the housing crash so that Hispanic birth rates are dropping at three times the rate of the average, so again hysterical claims that people are coming here illegally specifically to support their third-world birth-rates seem to be much more of a non-issue than it's being made out to be. I mean, I believe we are already at or below the replacement level birth rates, so concerns of overpopulation due to millions upon millions of kids being born to illegal immigrants seem to be misguided.
Except access to these services haven't increased to illegal aliens over the years, they have actually decreased, yet these services are having an increase in usage due to children born to illegal aliens, by way of being born here and being eligible for these services. Aren't birth rates in this circumstance correlated to usage? An increase in usage by their children born here equals an increase in illegal aliens birth rates. This is what I believe this entire argument is about.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:15 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,932 times
Quote:

The Audacious Epigone: Hispanic birth rates declining more steeply than non-Hispanic birth rates
The Audacious Epigone post uses the "fertility rate" not the "birth rate" as in the title. Audacious also states: This is not to confuse the pace of declines with absolute fertility rates. Hispanics, even in 2009, were still considerably more fecund than non-Hispanics. If you follow Audacious links to the other topic it states: Even before the recession, Arizona was a top destination for internal migration among whites (primarily those fleeing California), but it was similarly so among Hispanics. Over the last few years, however, it appears that Hispanics have been, in some combination, leaving the state (and the country) at greater rates than non-Hispanics have and experiencing a decline in fertility at faster rates than non-Hispanics have. and this: While skyrocketing foreclosure rates, the massive loss of wealth in baby boomer retirement accounts, and a near-doubling of the unemployment rate are tragedies in their own regard, if the browning of the US becomes a casualty of the 'Great Recession', I think that's worse. At worst, though, I'd guess the process has just decelerated a bit. The Audacious Epigone: Hispanic births decreasing in Arizona, and likely the rest of the US as well

I would suggest following the links Audacious has in its topics to gather a full understanding of what Audacious is stating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar
Your source is a pro-illegal blog? Don't make me laugh.
The Audacious Epigone isn't a PRO-Illegal site, it is rather an ANTI-Illegal site. Viridian has also used the "birth rate" chart from The Heritage Foundation, he's trying to play "gotcha".

Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
The Audacious Epigone post uses the "fertility rate" not the "birth rate" as in the title. Audacious also states: This is not to confuse the pace of declines with absolute fertility rates. Hispanics, even in 2009, were still considerably more fecund than non-Hispanics. If you follow Audacious links to the other topic it states: Even before the recession, Arizona was a top destination for internal migration among whites (primarily those fleeing California), but it was similarly so among Hispanics. Over the last few years, however, it appears that Hispanics have been, in some combination, leaving the state (and the country) at greater rates than non-Hispanics have and experiencing a decline in fertility at faster rates than non-Hispanics have. and this: While skyrocketing foreclosure rates, the massive loss of wealth in baby boomer retirement accounts, and a near-doubling of the unemployment rate are tragedies in their own regard, if the browning of the US becomes a casualty of the 'Great Recession', I think that's worse. At worst, though, I'd guess the process has just decelerated a bit. The Audacious Epigone: Hispanic births decreasing in Arizona, and likely the rest of the US as well

I would suggest following the links Audacious has in its topics to gather a full understanding of what Audacious is stating.

The Audacious Epigone isn't a PRO-Illegal site, it is rather an ANTI-Illegal site. Viridian has also used the "birth rate" chart from The Heritage Foundation, he's trying to play "gotcha".
Oh, I see. More games. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration