Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:52 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Undocumented immigrant students will be eligible for California aid - CNN.com

Why not send AMERICAN STUDENTS to college? Give us more opportunities? Damn, no wonder California is going down.

Wtf? How do they plan on funding all the illegals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 06:00 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
It's even worse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/08/ny...l?ref=nyregion

672 teacher's aides lost their jobs in the NYC public schools.

What the hell is going on with in this country? We lay off school staff members for our own kids. Meanwhile while idiot pols cater to the hispanic lobby by handing free college tuition to illegals.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:01 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times
****, I will denounce my US citizenship and move to California so I can be an illegal there and live the good life. Free college, free health care, welfare, maybe even housing.

That is what they are teaching me! Where do I sign up?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Undocumented immigrant students will be eligible for California aid - CNN.com

Why not send AMERICAN STUDENTS to college? Give us more opportunities? Damn, no wonder California is going down.

Wtf? How do they plan on funding all the illegals?
They are awarding the scholarships to the best residents of California. You prefer they go to the someone else?

Given that the vast majority of these kids are virtually certain to end up citizens it sounds rational to me on that basis as well.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
It's even worse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/08/ny...l?ref=nyregion

672 teacher's aides lost their jobs in the NYC public schools.

What the hell is going on with in this country? We lay off school staff members for our own kids. Meanwhile while idiot pols cater to the hispanic lobby by handing free college tuition to illegals.

Sorry - How is that relevant. Many school districts have no such workers. So the lily must be gilded in NY before basic skill is rewarded in CA? How is that?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
They are awarding the scholarships to the best residents of California. You prefer they go to the someone else?

Given that the vast majority of these kids are virtually certain to end up citizens it sounds rational to me on that basis as well.
What's rational about handing out free college tuition to foreign nationals? We're under no obligation to provide college classes for illegals. They're adults. Let them go home and be adults there.

It is this kind of thinking that so many of us find so offputting when it comes to the defense of illegal brigade. Not only are we not allowed to ask them to leave we're literally supposed to provide them with free college degrees.

And then they wonder why so many Americans loathe them . . .

Quote:
Sorry - How is that relevant. Many school districts have no such workers. So the lily must be gilded in NY before basic skill is rewarded in CA? How is that?
You're kidding. We should we deny our own kids necessary services so we can hand over free college education for illegals?

They're not residents. "Basic skill: does not include the right to a college degree, let alone one paid for Americans who often take out huge loans to just to afford college themselves. Less than a third of all Americans have such a degree, many because they cannot afford it. We should focus on our own citizens instead of the desires of illegals.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
What's rational about handing out free college tuition to foreign nationals? We're under no obligation to provide college classes for illegals. They're adults. Let them go home and be adults there.
Actually we are under no obligation to hand out college scholarships to anybody. But I prefer talent over national origin or immigration status. You prefer we give them to the cute blonds with the perky noses?

Quote:
It is this kind of thinking that so many of us find so offputting when it comes to the defense of illegal brigade. Not only are we not allowed to ask them to leave we're literally supposed to provide them with free college degrees.
Sure you can ask them to leave. YOu can even ask your elected representatives to make it happen. But you have to pay the bills and deal with the fall out. So far that has not happened.

In the mean time I see no reason CA can't give scholarships to their best and brightest...even those who need further assistance to be here legally. And I think it a virtual certainty they will get that help.

Quote:
And then they wonder why so many Americans loathe them . . .
The big problem you have is that many, perhaps most, Americans don't loathe...they would rather they go away...but they don't loathe.

Quote:
You're kidding. We should we deny our own kids necessary services so we can hand over free college education for illegals?

They're not residents. "Basic skill: does not include the right to a college degree, let alone one paid for Americans who often take out huge loans to just to afford college themselves. Less than a third of all Americans have such a degree, many because they cannot afford it. We should focus on our own citizens instead of the desires of illegals.
Of course they are residents. They have been there for some years paying taxes one way or another.

And no CA does not have to give them scholarships. It chooses to do so. Because it prefers to continue the education of its best rather than some other criteria.

You can of course suggest they select the less than best...I still like blonds with perky noses...but I think it ok to use a criteria of excellence.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Actually we are under no obligation to hand out college scholarships to anybody. But I prefer talent over national origin or immigration status. You prefer we give them to the cute blonds with the perky noses?
I prefer not to hand them out to people who skip the immigration laws and cannot get a job here. That's what I prefer. I prefer not to tell the world that if they wait around long enough we'll give them handouts. Worse, we'll shortchange our own citizens in order to do so.

That's what I prefer.

They are not residents. And if they're eighteen or older they're criminals fully capable of going back home.

Quote:
Sure you can ask them to leave. YOu can even ask your elected representatives to make it happen. But you have to pay the bills and deal with the fall out. So far that has not happened.
What bills?

Illegals cost most middle class Americans money. This a perfect example. We're being taxed so a group of foreign nationals can get a free college degree. What an insult to every American taxpayer, legal immigrant and foreign student!

Quote:
In the mean time I see no reason CA can't give scholarships to their best and brightest...even those who need further assistance to be here legally. And I think it a virtual certainty they will get that help.
The best and brightest don't skip immigration lines. They don't violate our laws. They don't demand that people in other countries cut their own education so they can get something for free. Let the people in question do the right thing. If they want to go to college here let them apply as foreign nationals.

Quote:
The big problem you have is that many, perhaps most, Americans don't loathe...they would rather they go away...but they don't loathe.
When Americans read the illegals are literally DEMANDING a free college education I don't think the emotion that springs to mind is love or respect.

Quote:
Of course they are residents. They have been there for some years paying taxes one way or another.
No they're not. They're foreign nationals. And how does a kid pay any taxes at all? More than half of all illegals are high school drop outs. You know this. They're not paying much in taxes. They're certainly not paying enough to offset the cost of a four year degree.

Quote:
And no CA does not have to give them scholarships. It chooses to do so. Because it prefers to continue the education of its best rather than some other criteria.
California schools are a mess right now. If Jerry Brown were a leader rather than someone pandering to the Hispanic lobby he would have focused on the needs of Californians rather than the desires of a largely Latino foreign national population.

Quote:
You can of course suggest they select the less than best...I still like blonds with perky noses...but I think it ok to use a criteria of excellence.
Excellence should not involve skipping immigration lines. The whole world is not entitled to a free college education at American expense. I am sorry you apparently think otherwise.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
And here's the laugh folks. Once they graduate, at taxpayer expense, they cannot get jobs because they are not US citizens !

What a hoot !

Old 10-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And here's the laugh folks. Once they graduate, at taxpayer expense, they cannot get jobs because they are not US citizens !

What a hoot !
They'll be given amnesty along with their criminal parents. That's the whole point of this bill: to allow illegals primarily from Latino countries to get American citizenship so that Jerry Brown and his ilk can pander for votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration