Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

Seems to be a general view among the anti-illegals that Hispanic immigrants don't learn English like the old European immigrants did.

Here is a little paper with some facts on the subject.

Don't know if it will do any good as many of the beliefs here are clearly religious.

http://www.cato.org/pubs/irb/irb_october2010.pdf

Cato Institute is Libertarian. They would in general be considered in favor of open borders....though wrapped in a new system so foreign to what exists as to be irrelevant to the present discussion.

And the cite is still a find discussion piece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Illegals aren't immigrants. Illegals are illegal aliens. The two are not interchangeable as implied in your cite.

Ultimately it is really quite simply. No one should immigrate here unless they can first demonstrate fluency in English. A passing score on both the speaking and writing sections of TOEFL should be required for permanent residency.

Do you have a problem with that?

The only religion here seems to be that any sort of opposition to illegal immigration is grounded not in fact or reason but in mere bigotry.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Illegals aren't immigrants. Illegals are illegal aliens. The two are not interchangeable as implied in your cite.

Ultimately it is really quite simply. No one should immigrate here unless they can first demonstrate fluency in English. A passing score on both the speaking and writing sections of TOEFL should be required for permanent residency.

Do you have a problem with that?

The only religion here seems to be that any sort of opposition to illegal immigration is grounded not in fact or reason but in mere bigotry.
Well you got one interesting question and a classical display of your religious like bigotry.

Did you notice the part about the Germans in Wisconsin? You now agree that perhaps Europeans did not always learn the language quickly in "the old days"?

I have to think a bit about english as a permanent residency requirement. Has an instant appeal to me but I would think it would need to be done in an overall scheme of immigration so we did not run into unintended consequences.

But it does have appeal.

Your religious response is of course that illegal immigrants are not immigrants...they are that and they are mostly hispanic. And only one of strong religious conviction would suggest otherwise.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:14 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well you got one interesting question and a classical display of your religious like bigotry.

Did you notice the part about the Germans in Wisconsin? You now agree that perhaps Europeans did not always learn the language quickly in "the old days"?

I have to think a bit about english as a permanent residency requirement. Has an instant appeal to me but I would think it would need to be done in an overall scheme of immigration so we did not run into unintended consequences.

But it does have appeal.

Your religious response is of course that illegal immigrants are not immigrants...they are that and they are mostly hispanic. And only one of strong religious conviction would suggest otherwise.
According to many other threads and comments, illegal aliens are more economic refugee than they are actual immigrants.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
According to many other threads and comments, illegal aliens are more economic refugee than they are actual immigrants.
But the threads and comments are from rationality refugees...

Your sampling data is all wet...

As always...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:35 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,028 times
The Hispanic numbers in that study stink. It should be 90%s for 1st generation and 100% for second and third. I have known hundreds of immigrants from many countries. They all spoke English eventually. There was not one that lived here and died here that could not speak English. Some did not learn until their children learned English in school and were taught by them.

The study uses a German community in one area of one state. That was not the norm. There were ethnic neighborhoods in many places, but that was only a first generation thing. The reason for that was most likely teaching German in schools and German newspapers. That is why we have a problem today. With press 2 for Spanish, bilingual education, Telemundo, signs in stores in Spanish, etc things will never change. Change must be forced. English as the official language and not one word from any local, state or federal government or school in Spanish. Every other nationality handled it.

All 4 of my grandparents were born in Europe. By the time they died there was little accent left. They learned English and spoke it at home.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
Actually I think I mostly agree with you that they come mostly for economic reasons.

I would also think that was true of the Italian and the Irish. I am not old enough to have experienced the other groups in quantity. But I do happen to have good experience with the Italians and the Irish.

Note though that it is not the outcome. The illegals get hooked like all the other immigrants and find they can't go back...or at least their children won't.

In our family the older Irish were all believed to be illegal. The older Italian were not...and in fact one went home. Changed his mind six months later but his children would not allow him to return.

The only other illegal was an Englishman. Father of an Uncle. Family lore says he was worried about it and would never consider leaving the US.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
The Hispanic numbers in that study stink. It should be 90%s for 1st generation and 100% for second and third. I have known hundreds of immigrants from many countries. They all spoke English eventually. There was not one that lived here and died here that could not speak English. Some did not learn until their children learned English in school and were taught by them.

The study uses a German community in one area of one state. That was not the norm. There were ethnic neighborhoods in many places, but that was only a first generation thing. The reason for that was most likely teaching German in schools and German newspapers. That is why we have a problem today. With press 2 for Spanish, bilingual education, Telemundo, signs in stores in Spanish, etc things will never change. Change must be forced. English as the official language and not one word from any local, state or federal government or school in Spanish. Every other nationality handled it.

All 4 of my grandparents were born in Europe. By the time they died there was little accent left. They learned English and spoke it at home.
My wifes two grandparents died at old age after 50 years in the US and spoke no English. My grandfathers accent was so strong that his English was not comprehensible.

By the third generation more Hispanic don't speak Spanish than don't speak English...by a lot.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
What is the time limit on speaking english and to what level of fluency? I think its easy for some to say immigrants should learn english and I agree that they should. But whats the time limit? 10 weeks 10 months 10 years?
I speak Thai and I think I do ok but a native speaker I am not nor am I likely to ever be. I think it unrealistic to expect perfect english.
I would agree that any applicant should be required to speak basic english and be able to get their point across. They should also be required to read at a certain level and write at the same level. Perfect grammar or spelling is not required but enough to communicate.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But the threads and comments are from rationality refugees...

Your sampling data is all wet...

As always...
Always the sarcastic wit.... one in every crowd.

Sorry that I don't post to your specifications, and yet you can't refute my comments to any degree. At best all you have ever done is clarify or define my comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration