Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I have just as much of a problem or more with American citizens calling us those nasty names and insults. They attack their fellow Americans for wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced and not wanting yet another failed amnesty. Why do they have so little consideration for their own people and their own country?
I don't know anybody who wants a failed amnesty.

then again we don't have Reagan and Bush so maybe we can make this one work.

Note it can't be too bad. We have only five milion or so more Mexican in the target demographic all of whom are going to come across in time if we don't do something.

So a failed amnesty would not actually make it any worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
The Hispanic numbers in that study stink. It should be 90%s for 1st generation and 100% for second and third. I have known hundreds of immigrants from many countries. They all spoke English eventually. There was not one that lived here and died here that could not speak English. Some did not learn until their children learned English in school and were taught by them.

The study uses a German community in one area of one state. That was not the norm. There were ethnic neighborhoods in many places, but that was only a first generation thing. The reason for that was most likely teaching German in schools and German newspapers. That is why we have a problem today. With press 2 for Spanish, bilingual education, Telemundo, signs in stores in Spanish, etc things will never change. Change must be forced. English as the official language and not one word from any local, state or federal government or school in Spanish. Every other nationality handled it.

All 4 of my grandparents were born in Europe. By the time they died there was little accent left. They learned English and spoke it at home.
Ok, so you refute the article. You may be right. However, at this point the article cites examples and data. What is your data? I know a friend ro this people in this area, my grandparents, etc.? That is very weak when I compare your support as compared to his. The writer may be flawed but yours is more flawed since it shows no supporting evidence with studies and/or surveys. Take care.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What is the time limit on speaking english and to what level of fluency? I think its easy for some to say immigrants should learn english and I agree that they should. But whats the time limit? 10 weeks 10 months 10 years?
I speak Thai and I think I do ok but a native speaker I am not nor am I likely to ever be. I think it unrealistic to expect perfect english.
I would agree that any applicant should be required to speak basic english and be able to get their point across. They should also be required to read at a certain level and write at the same level. Perfect grammar or spelling is not required but enough to communicate.
I do believe it is best they know some Enlish to immigrate but not mandatory. The main intent of allowing an individual to move here is if they have a skill that benefits our economy and they are productive citizens. If they can prove that without have a strong command of the English language, by all means let them come in. Free market is the main reason to me so if someone can produce in the free market regardless of language, go for it, take care.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:58 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

As a practical matter there is no legal way for most of the illegals to ever enter the US with a visa allowing them to work. The likely waiting period for such a document for a low socio-economic class Mexican is well past 20 years.

So let us understand they have the choice only of coming illegal or not at all.

That would indicate that practicality rather than disrespect governs their behavior.

Don't read this as a suggestion that we should give them work visas. I would think those should be confined simply to temporary situations where they leave after a set period. I see no reason why we need an influx of poorly educated people from the country next door.

These guys are simply economic refugees....but they come with no disrespect to the US.
So the H2A visa, which can allow in an unlimited number of persons and is underutilized, would still not allow them to come here for work? The waiting period for an H2A is pretty much 0 years. http://www.messersmithlaw.com/work-visa/h2a-visa.html

What of this attitude:
Quote:
Antonio Diaz Chacon, 23, is a Mexican citizen married to an American and has been in the country for four years. But Chacon says he abandoned attempts to get legal residency because the process was difficult and expensive.
Man who saved girl says he's illegal immigrant - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Look at it from the standpoint of those of us that believe he should be removed and barred for 3 - 10 years. He was in "line", chose to get out of it for his own personal gain, and then wants to be legalized so that it isn't to "burdensome" for him. He needs to conform to our laws, not the other way around.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
So the H2A visa, which can allow in an unlimited number of persons and is underutilized, would still not allow them to come here for work? The waiting period for an H2A is pretty much 0 years. H2A Visa
You usually do better than this. The H2A visa is a temporary one. Does not get you into the US permanently. Practically it is likely inferior to being an illegal alien..

Quote:
What of this attitude: Man who saved girl says he's illegal immigrant - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Look at it from the standpoint of those of us that believe he should be removed and barred for 3 - 10 years. He was in "line", chose to get out of it for his own personal gain, and then wants to be legalized so that it isn't to "burdensome" for him. He needs to conform to our laws, not the other way around.
Anecdote. They are often interesting but have no real relevance. Anything can happen...once.

And perhaps it indicates that the process is too difficult in at least some cases.

I would also note that since 9/11 the US immigration bureaucracy has run amok.

Have a couple of clients from middle Europe who are Microsoft employees of a particularly valuable kind and have spent 18 months waiting for a green card and may well spend two more years before they get it.

One can deal with the expense when MS is paying the bill but it is probably difficult if you are a journeyman mechanic.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You usually do better than this. The H2A visa is a temporary one. Does not get you into the US permanently. Practically it is likely inferior to being an illegal alien..
Do better? There is a method to my madness, you just need to follow along....

An H2A can always apply for an extension for up to 3 years or a Change of Status to another non-immigrant visa, for which they could apply for another Change of Status possibly to an immigrant status and eventually on to LPR/GC and citizenship. It is a tedious road, but can be done. Which was why I brought up the fact that Mr. Chacon chose to get out of "line". They don't want anything that takes from them, they choose to not work at it, they want to take their chance hoping for another amnesty as has been done in the past.

An H2A visa user actually makes decent money, their wages do not have deductions withheld. Foreign Agricultural Workers They can also bring over their family with an H3/4 visa.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

As a practical matter there is no legal way for most of the illegals to ever enter the US with a visa allowing them to work. The likely waiting period for such a document for a low socio-economic class Mexican is well past 20 years.

So let us understand they have the choice only of coming illegal or not at all.

That would indicate that practicality rather than disrespect governs their behavior.

Don't read this as a suggestion that we should give them work visas. I would think those should be confined simply to temporary situations where they leave after a set period. I see no reason why we need an influx of poorly educated people from the country next door.

These guys are simply economic refugees....but they come with no disrespect to the US.
And the same goes for Americans when it comes to other nations. As a practical matter there is no legal way for 90% of the USA to relocate to Mexico nor to Spain, nor even to Canada.

No country in the world has the absurd levels of immigration that we have. Of course there is no legal way most of the Mexican people can come here, any more than most Americans can expect to be given a right to work in Mexico. They have their own country after all.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Have a couple of clients from middle Europe who are Microsoft employees of a particularly valuable kind and have spent 18 months waiting for a green card and may well spend two more years before they get it.

One can deal with the expense when MS is paying the bill but it is probably difficult if you are a journeyman mechanic.
A GC can take up to 5 years to obtain (even longer depending on nationality and country), unless married to a US Citizen for which it may then be obtained within months. 18 months is nothing to wait. They may have to wait on numerous things, retrogression may have occurred, there may be no numbers left for the year or even the next couple years, especially for work based visa's as you have described.

Its not that difficult nor expensive for a journeyman mechanic. My wife's costs totaled around $1500 over the course of 3 years, no attorney needed. Less than $500 per year if one looks at it, or roughly $48 per month or to go down even lower $12 per week which is less than $2 per day.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 10-11-2011 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Do better? There is a method to my madness, you just need to follow along....

An H2A can always apply for an extension for up to 3 years or a Change of Status to another non-immigrant visa, for which they could apply for another Change of Status possibly to an immigrant status and eventually on to LPR/GC and citizenship. It is a tedious road, but can be done. Which was why I brought up the fact that Mr. Chacon chose to get out of "line". They don't want anything that takes from them, they choose to not work at it, they want to take their chance hoping for another amnesty as has been done in the past.
Sure they can. They can also petition the US congress for a private act providing relief. It happens.

However I would consider all such things academic without statistics. How many get granted and how long does it take.

Quote:
An H2A visa user actually makes decent money, their wages do not have deductions withheld. Foreign Agricultural Workers They can also bring over their family with an H3/4 visa.
Again..Statistics? what percentage get them. HOw long?

As I said...you could petition the Congress...

Old 10-11-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
A GC can take up to 5 years to obtain (even longer depending on nationality and country), unless married to a US Citizen for which it may then be obtained within months. 18 months is nothing to wait. They may have to wait on numerous things, retrogression may have occurred, there may be no numbers left for the year or even the next couple years, especially for work based visa's as you have described.

Its not that difficult nor expensive for a journeyman mechanic. My wife's costs totaled around $1500 over the course of 3 years, no attorney needed. Less than $500 per year if one looks at it, or roughly $48 per month or to go down even lower $12 per week which is less than $2 per day.
Your wife is a journeyman mechanic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration