Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 AM

486 posts, read 984,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainlady View Post
Recently, 120 people in the company I worked for, including myself, were laid off. Our jobs went to Canadians and East Indians. Jobs are have left and are still leaving the United States every day. In the meantime, our borders are being rushed fraom Our Country's Southern border mainly. (There is still plenty of illegal aliens entering Our Country through other means.) These jobs that the illegal aliens are doing may have to be done by people like myself whose jobs have been sent offshore by the American businessman.

The dumbing down of America started many years ago. One certainly does not have to know the English language to get by in the US unless one doesn't know how to speak Mexican/Spanish. Over the years, government offices have had Mexican/Spanish speakers to accommodate those who know Mexican/Spanish. I can not call any business today without a recording directing Mexican/Spanish speakers to someone who can speak their language.

I look for a job and the employers want bi-lingual speakers. Why must I learn Mexican/Spanish in order to get a job? I am not living or working in Mexico. I am of Italian ancestry. My ancestors came through Ellis Island LEGALLY. I never hear a recording directing Italian speakers to an Italian speaker to do business.

I went into Bank of America and the teller had a customer the next window over. The man could only speak Mexican and the teller could only speak English. Yet she made an attempt to offer the man a VISA credit card. I have never been offered a VISA credit card through Bank of America at the teller window.

None of these situations surprise any of you, I am sure. We have to regain Our Country back. We have to become a Sovereign Nation once again.

When the Immigration bill was passed in the mid-1980's MY rights as an
American were trampled on. Amnesty was offered to illegal aliens. Yet, I had to start proving to employers that I had a right to be working in MY Country by showing two forms of ID. Yet the illegal alien still comes into this country and gets work??? Illegal aliens are building homes here. Are you telling me that there are no American construction workers who want those jobs???

The American businessman has lost his soul and sold the American worker down the river. They send American jobs offshore and American citizens still buy their products and services. They hire illegal aliens knowingly and yet we Americans still buy their products and services.

We slept through the wake-up call. And, yes we now need to vote out of office every congressman, senator and President that stands against the American citizen. IF IT'S NOT TOO LATE.
Not to sound rude, I understand your dilemma, but please don't say Mexican is a language, it is Spanish, not Mexican/Spanish. Did you mean to say Spanish with a Mexican Accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf1025 View Post
Not to sound rude, I understand your dilemma, but please don't say Mexican is a language, it is Spanish, not Mexican/Spanish. Did you mean to say Spanish with a Mexican Accent?
Doesn't "Mexican/Spanish" pretty much mean that same thing? And you do realize it's not just the accent but many words that are different, used by Mexicans but not by Spaniards or Cubans, or other?

It's Mexican/Spanish fluency that is required in the job place. In many cases it's even Spanglish fluency they require.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM

In many places, someone speaking Castilian Spanish would have almost as much trouble getting a job as someone speaking English. The language is being used to discriminate against anyone who isn't La Raza. You'll find job sites where 100% of the employees are Mexican. Not one black American, not one white American.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:51 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
In many places, someone speaking Castilian Spanish would have almost as much trouble getting a job as someone speaking English. The language is being used to discriminate against anyone who isn't La Raza. You'll find job sites where 100% of the employees are Mexican. Not one black American, not one white American.
No Mexican-Americans? America's only Black and White, huh?

How do you know they won't accept Castilian Spanish?
How do you know which "La Raza"() spanish they accept?
Have they narrowed it down to a specific Mexican dialect?

You're the expert man.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 PM

147 posts, read 212,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
Immigrants have always been an easy target in this country. "We" - the US public are really just playing into the political hands of the powers that be by falling for this same trick again & again. We did the same thing to immigrants during the early part of the 1900's. The language used then & the language now can almost be substituted word for word. Interestingly, a great deal of the political backing of the "illegal immigrant" talk back then was by the KKK.

We don't care to know the truth or look past the way the politicians & media are trying to sway our thoughts & see what is really going on. Nor do we care to know the truth of the past. Much of the west coast of the USA was Mexican land that we took from them - violating an existing treaty that allowed those who had land in those areas to keep it & remain living on it. We took ancestral land from Mexican people & claimed it as our own - kicking people off land that their ancestors had been living on for 100+ years.

There are few, if any of us, who have one iota of an idea what many of those who cross the border to come here & work survive just to get here - nor the conditions they leave behind to try & make a better life for their family. These are people who love their land & their heritage & likely would never leave if they had the economic opportunity to provide for their own. They risk their lives to come here - sacrifice everything - just to serve us our fast food, to pick our crops, or whatever the job is that even our teenagers often will not do. They pay our taxes & our social security - never to be able to reap the benefits because they are considered "illegal".

My grandfather came to this country in the early part of the 1900's from Russia. He was afraid of deportation until the day he died in 1973. I can find no record of him ever having a greencard or applying for citizenship. Not to mention the fact that he would not have qualified for citizenship to begin with because he could not read or write English. My grandfather was a hardworker & escaped harsh circumstances where he came from. To the best of my knowledge, I am the granddaughter of an "illegal alien".

I believe that any person who is willing to be a contributing member of our society should be afforded the right to seek "life, liberty, & the pursuit of happiness" just as we are. I believe that this is a right bestowed by God upon ALL of His children - not just those who were born within the invisible / manmade borders of the United States. I believe that, as little as I have, I am willing to do with just a bit less to allow for someone else in greater need to have just a bit more.

Don't buy into the hype. While everyone is clamouring to kick out the "illegals" - there are real issues happening right under our noses but we're too busy scapegoating the easiest & least powerful targets.

Once again... My 50 cents worth...

You know, that's a lovely story. I too believe in God however, that's not the point. God knows there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and the ends do not justify the means. Illegal aliens are just that, ILLEGAL. By that same concept, when I was injured on my job and couldn't work I should've gone to my supermarket and STOLEN some food because GOD knows that I needed it. You see, it just doesn't jibe. You can't claim to believe in God yet break rules and laws. Even if they are man made. Who is the person who decides what should be followed or not? You? I? No my friend. As much as I sympathize with the plight of many, we must remember one thing, "You're comforts cannot begin where mine end"..

Old 03-20-2009, 07:51 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrapola1975 View Post
You know, that's a lovely story. I too believe in God however, that's not the point. God knows there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and the ends do not justify the means. Illegal aliens are just that, ILLEGAL. By that same concept, when I was injured on my job and couldn't work I should've gone to my supermarket and STOLEN some food because GOD knows that I needed it. You see, it just doesn't jibe. You can't claim to believe in God yet break rules and laws. Even if they are man made. Who is the person who decides what should be followed or not? You? I? No my friend. As much as I sympathize with the plight of many, we must remember one thing, "You're comforts cannot begin where mine end"..
Without assuming a pro or anti illegal stance, I'm right now wondering what would God think of illegal aliens, the truth is that we don't know, what if God believes that the whole idea of diving the world in countries and cultures is not right? but a product of the influence of satan and his illusion. who has used wars with this purpose or Maybe as God, at least as I perceive him is a God of order and rules that govern the universe would think that breaking them is not right. if that were the case eventually those who break them will have to pay for the consequences.

food for thought

Old 03-21-2009, 04:04 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Without assuming a pro or anti illegal stance, I'm right now wondering what would God think of illegal aliens, the truth is that we don't know, what if God believes that the whole idea of diving the world in countries and cultures is not right? but a product of the influence of satan and his illusion. who has used wars with this purpose or Maybe as God, at least as I perceive him is a God of order and rules that govern the universe would think that breaking them is not right. if that were the case eventually those who break them will have to pay for the consequences.

food for thought
It's always been my belief that God would have MUCH to say to..(and about)...illegal aliens. He'd ALSO have plenty to say to (and about), the REST of us. Let's hope He doesn't show up soon, for He'd probably be VERY unhappy with a LOT of what's going on today....and he may have 'illegals' way down on His list of priorities..(in fact, He MAY even have some criticisms of the Illegals, themselves).

Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM

117 posts, read 293,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post

You're the expert man.
Unfortunatley, many of the people on this site share the same ignorant views.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post

food for thought

If I go into Mexico without the permission of Mexico -- no passport, no tourist card, and Mexico returns me to the USA, I don't think God would care at all. If I got by with it, maybe traveled throughout all of Mexico spending my American money and having a nice enough time, maybe God wouldn't care about that either.

If I start buying fake and stolen documents -- where there's the commandment "Thou shalt not steal" and associating with criminal organizations to obtain stolen documents would be another issue.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post

You're the expert man.
Are you saying Mexican Americans cannot learn English? Are you really claiming that those Americans of hispanic descent such as those people who were settling in the SW 300 years ago have never bothered or were able to learn English?

That's completely stupid. Americans speak English. That's why there should be no discrimination against Americans who speak English.

And yes, people who speak non-Mexican Spanish are discriminated against. I know a Chicano who grew up in the Midwest who worked as a social worker and was let go because the Mexican clients complained about his Spanish. He spoke Spanish but it wasn't acceptable, they said they couldn't understand him. So -- even though he was an acceptable "race" or ethnicity, his Spanish wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration