Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 12:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Then if she were not able to speak Spanish at all, she probably wouldn't have been able to speak to her parents.
What if her parents were bilingual?

Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No matter how badly you want to become a contortionist, you aint passing the audition. LMAO

Sorry, this doesn't pass the smell test no matter how you season it. This girl is obviously NOT Hispanic, and folks paid at the level of GS-11 and above are paid too damn well not to know better.

That's all there is to it.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No matter how badly you want to become a contortionist, you aint passing the audition. LMAO

Sorry, this doesn't pass the smell test no matter how you season it. This girl is obviously NOT Hispanic, and folks paid at the level of GS-11 and above are paid too damn well not to know better.

That's all there is to it.
I agree. I was just pointing out that speaking English rather than Spanish is not necessarily indicative of not being an illegal from Colombia.

Furthermore, you can't simply absolve the 15 year old of all blame. She was obviously trying to get away from someone or something and was willing to say anything to make that happen.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Hispanic immigrant parents, even if they are bilingual in English and Spanish - and most are not when they first come to this country - do not speak only in English to their children. It simply does not happen. A Latina mom who brings an infant to this country will be speaking Spanish to that infant, and Spanish will be the first language that child learns. This has been the case with most ethnic groups.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I agree. I was just pointing out that speaking English rather than Spanish is not necessarily indicative of not being an illegal from Colombia.

Furthermore, you can't simply absolve the 15 year old of all responsibility. She was obviously trying to get away from someone or something.
As Colombians go, unless you are a very old person from San Andres or Providencia, the only truly bilingual areas of Colombia, you will be able to speak Spanish. If you are a young Colombian immigrant to America, you will have learned the language as a young child, no matter when it was that you arrived.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:39 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
OK, let me go ahead and state the obvious...these individuals don't care because she is a 15 year old Black girl....if she were a 15 year old blonde Caucasian girl (think Natalee Holloway) there would be a full scale uproar on the usual cable news shows (Nancy Grace et al) demanding answers and accountability.

These same people calling this CHILD a "lost cause" and making the assumption that she is headed for "welfare" and "the projects" think this way about Black Americans in general. This CHILD's life means NOTHING to these people.

Regarding the girl being deported, it actually sounds like she was "allowed" to be transported as a part of the global child sex trade. I would not be surprised if there are people on both sides of the border who funnel girls to various countries for the purpose of sex trafficking.
^^This.
All kinds of alarm bells went off when I first heard this story. Clearly there is something all kinds of wrong when professionals cannot tell the difference between an adult and teenager. To think that they basically dumped this child in Columbia with no family, no means of support...
I think you are definitely on to something with the trafficking angle.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Furthermore, you can't simply absolve the 15 year old of all blame. She was obviously trying to get away from someone or something and was willing to say anything to make that happen.
Absolutely. She can't be totally absolved of anything. No doubt. But come on...she's 15 and told so many stories of being in so many different places that she'd be IMPOSSIBLE not to trip up. I would've had her tell her story again, and again. No way in hell she could keep her stories straight after the 5th or 6th time...especially when you start probing for details.

Look...she's obviously mentally disturbed, but she's smart in a weird way. Enough to fool seasoned professionals. But still, these folks are paid upwards of 70k a year to know better. They attend all kinds of training. Most have rudimentary language training even if they aren't bilingual. This was an example of big time negligence. Not saying that someone should be fired, but there should be some suspensions without pay...that's for damn sure.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Hispanic immigrant parents, even if they are bilingual in English and Spanish - and most are not when they first come to this country - do not speak only in English to their children. It simply does not happen. A Latina mom who brings an infant to this country will be speaking Spanish to that infant, and Spanish will be the first language that child learns. This has been the case with most ethnic groups.
This girl was 15 years old. There was no reason to believe that she wasn't bi-lingual. Don't any Columbians speak English? As I said, she spoke to DHS and the courts in English because English is our national language and there was no reason why they would question that she didn't communicate with them in Spanish. That doesn't mean that they should have questioned her ability or unability to speak Spanish. You are grasping at straws now.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:29 PM

Some of you just don't get it. Talk about grasping at straws.^^^^^

Old 01-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This girl was 15 years old. There was no reason to believe that she wasn't bi-lingual. Don't any Columbians speak English? As I said, she spoke to DHS and the courts in English because English is our national language and there was no reason why they would question that she didn't communicate with them in Spanish. That doesn't mean that they should have questioned her ability or unability to speak Spanish. You are grasping at straws now.
I think you are grasping at straws. The question is not whether or not a Colombian-born person who is allegedly illegal can speak English or not. The question is whether they could speak Spanish or not. You don't conduct immigration interviews with someone you are about to deport to a country because they illegally came here and not do at least some of it in the language of that country. The girl is speaking English as if she were a native of Texas - and guess what, she was! - but yet this was supposed to be an illegal Colombian native whom they were questioning about her background and origins. Hate to tell you this, but Colombians speak Spanish. Especially illegal ones. If hearing and seeing that didn't cause the radar of ICE or the judge to think maybe they had the wrong person, they're just idiots.

Logic 101. Please study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration