Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 PM

384 posts, read 1,710,016 times

Advertisements

I live in the United States where english is pretty much the official language of the country. Though I wouldn't call it the "native tongue", nevertheless, it is the official language. There has been great concerns and dispute about the ever growing spanish population in this country and though I myself love the whole diversity thing, many people are having a problem with having put up with non-english speaking people refusing to learn the language of the majority and for those who speaks very good english, they choose to speak spanish in your presence; whether it be in the work place or in friendly circle. Do you believe that the government should require that all who resides here should learn to speak english? Do you believe that the government is right for making everything bilingual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 07:02 PM

555 posts, read 2,212,595 times
English should be the national language No I think the government can't force learning the English language on anyone, but it can make it an official language. We need some national pride here. The reason for this whole debate is the freaken invasion from south of our border. The illegals could care less about any of our national pride. They have their own and their official language is Spanish and they are winning the debate. Time to stand up and declare our independence from Mexico.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelle3 View Post
English should be the national language No I think the government can't force learning the English language on anyone, but it can make it an official language. We need some national pride here. The reason for this whole debate is the freaken invasion from south of our border. The illegals could care less about any of our national pride. They have their own and their official language is Spanish and they are winning the debate. Time to stand up and declare our independence from Mexico.
Right on. Enough said. Sounds to me like this should be in a different forum, namely Immigration. Well said Southernbelle3.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:25 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
Let's make it the official language when Bush starts speaking it!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:37 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
GREAT POINT Miami Rob--If the Decider would only start verbalizing better so we could internalize his communicatory messages, we'd all be able to facilitate a realistic ideal of just what in the Hell he was dictating to our ears so that we could process the information being supplied to us....or somethin' like that...

Old 09-08-2007, 01:16 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
I took 3 posts to turn it into a Bush thread. I'll be glad when he's out of office just to keep threads on topic.

At least they speak English on the FNC or the things would go off on that tangent.

Quote:
English should be the national language. No I think the government can't force learning the English language on anyone, but it can make it an official language. .
Agreed. I would not want to it forced on anyone by the gov't. The desire to succeed in the U.S. would be enough to make someone want to learn.

Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
well I have to agree with this notion, I have lived overseas, and I've visited many places, and there are people to help you if you do not speak their language, but if u wish to conduct yourself in work, school, and official dealings.. you must do it in the native language.. there's really no excuse for it... If I move to france.. I would have to learn french.. and I would WANT to learn french... I think it comes down to WHY do these people come here... If you're legitimately coming here because you wish to stay and become american.. most I have found actually DO learn english.. BUT there are most who are merely here to save up 20 or 30K and go back to mexico to live out their lives.. with total disregard for anything here.. and that has to stop.. You can't come here and bleed our workforce and drag down our wages.. when you aren't even documented.. the government knows who I am.. they know when I get a paycheque.. and they probably know when I wipe my own ass... and yet.. they know nothing of these people??? its wrong... I'm all about rights for people.. but rights of americans under american law.. come first... before someone who isn't even here to be an american...that is not to say.. what comes natural to you.. you cannot use in your own home.. I have had family members who used german in their home.. and I in turn had to use it as a child... to me.. that is fine..

we can't even begin to address the poverty issues worldwide until we properly address the poverty issues here at home... By allowing corporate CEO's and other rich elite in this country to keep what they swindle.. and then ask the middle class americans to open their pocketbooks to save the world's poor.. we just subject ourselves to becoming impoverished ourselves...
just my two cents

Last edited by boiseguy; 09-08-2007 at 02:11 AM..

Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,826,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadel812 View Post
I live in the United States where english is pretty much the official language of the country. Though I wouldn't call it the "native tongue", nevertheless, it is the official language. There has been great concerns and dispute about the ever growing spanish population in this country and though I myself love the whole diversity thing, many people are having a problem with having put up with non-english speaking people refusing to learn the language of the majority and for those who speaks very good english, they choose to speak spanish in your presence; whether it be in the work place or in friendly circle. Do you believe that the government should require that all who resides here should learn to speak english? Do you believe that the government is right for making everything bilingual?
how is this not blatantly obvious ? If you want to live and work and enjoy all that the greatest country in the world has to offer, learning to speak the language should be your first priority and privilege!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:17 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,244 times
No fears. By the first generation... everybody learns English. In Europe and most other parts of the world they speak multiple languages. They all seem to get by just fine.

The U.S. is a bit behind the curve with having different languages spoken and some people are gripping a bit. I think it is great.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:20 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
No fears. By the first generation... everybody learns English. In Europe and most other parts of the world they speak multiple languages. They all seem to get by just fine.

The U.S. is a bit behind the curve with having different languages spoken and some people are gripping a bit. I think it is great.
Optimism is always good---but don't know if the situation is really that simple. By the first generation, everyone USED TO learn English--they were practically compelled to do so by a monolingual government, and some pretty serious peer pressure. These are both being "dismantled" as we speak. Does everyone in Canada speak English?---does everyone in Belgium speak Flemish?--how about Switzerland?....and I'm not sure I'll accept that they all uniformly "get by just fine"---there's HUGE room for interpretation there.

Obviously, the US is "behind the curve" in multi-lingualism-- but it may also be "behind the curve" in inter-ethnic squabbling, as well. Lots of room for taking a cautious approach, it seems to me......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration