Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Reagn at least got his passe by congress. the probelm is hen neither he ;Clinto ;Bush or obama have sealed the borders as promised. They agin tried to apps anhter ;it was rejected coundly.Obam wanted the dream act and it was rejected. So he by poasses congress whixh is just what Hitler did.Now we have anther degreee that can be changed by stroke a apen and more conflcit.That is wehat happens when you ignire law s adn start ruling by decree.The most devisive persident ever i my view and totally about buyig vote on thsi one.
Would you type so it can be read for Christ's sake.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:22 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
...now just listen to the din!!!

The entire RW is having a fit over this morning's executive order directing DHS to issue permits to young illegals. They are jumping up and down, chattering, tossing handfuls of their $&@$ in all directions!

Meanwhile... Did you notice Obama CHANGED THE SUBJECT from the weak economy, cut Rubio off at the knees, shored up support with a key demographic, and forced Romney into a tight spot, between his crazy base, and the Latinos he's struggling to court?

Smart move by the president. VERY smart move.
Yes, he has put Romney off his stride for the moment, but he has infuriated many millions of Americans that were on the fence in this election.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:24 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
Default Democrats and Obama changed the election dialogue today.

Whether you love him or hate him Obama and the Dems changed the talking point. His halting deportation of child immigrants today will change the talking point of the election over the next several months from the economy to the immigration debate. Conservative republicans will push Mitt Romney to come out against this over the next month "see Bryan Fischers forcing Mitt to fire staffer" and force him to come out against this. Romney today sidestepped the issue and tried to focus on the economy. The republican controlled congress and leadership will most likely challenge this in court over the next few years if Obama wins reelection if Mitt wins they will make him repeal it. In my opinion this is a huge win for Dems and Obama in both the upcoming election and long term over the next quarter to half century.

In the short term this is a tactical victory giving Obama a reprieve on the talking point of the economy, he is loosing this right now as the unemployment rate is above 8%. The conservative right wing will push Mitt until he comes out and fights back on this issue and announces he will undo do it within his first month in office. Obama wins by Mitt doing this and gains a reprieve over the next several months maybe until September when maybe the unemployment rate will be below 8%.

In the long term this will firmly entrench Hispanics in the democratic camp like African Americans today. The democratic party today started the path to citizen ship for 16 million illegals in this country, Hispanics know this and will strongly back the Democrats today. I feel personally Obama overstepped his constitutional authority today and republicans will be able to challenge this successfully in court over the next several years and will eventually win the battle but loose the Hispanic vote for several generations in doing so. The more republicans fight it the more mean, bigoted, and racist they will appear in the mainstream media and in Hispanic news outlets. To me this has a feel of the civil rights movement again where the northern democrats forced the desegregation of schools, and the end of Jim Crow. In doing so they lost the white southern vote but earned the loyalty of African Americans.

The Dems made a strategic long term play today for the fastest growing portion of American and because of this may well loose the upcoming election but will win for the next 50 because of it. The Hispanic population will be the largest minority growth group and by 2050 making up 29% of the u.s. population. By the year 2020 Texas could be a democratic majority state driven by explosive Hispanic growth. I'm linking this article as the Latino growth and showing how this will maybe happen.

Politics - Jason Margolis - Could Latino Voters Turn Deep-Red Texas Democratic by 2020? - The Atlantic

Last edited by bellhead; 06-15-2012 at 04:33 PM..

Old 06-15-2012, 04:26 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Congress? Constitution? What are those?

Old 06-15-2012, 04:27 PM

764 posts, read 597,344 times
This is what annoys me. Other Presidents not acting may not justify whats going on now, but I'm so sick of the right pretending everything is so unprecedented and unheard of. There's nothing new about not enforcing the border...

Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Who's talking about enforcing the border. Your great comrade just opened the floodgates wider.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:32 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, he has put Romney off his stride for the moment, but he has infuriated many millions of Americans that were on the fence in this election.
Well, he certainly infuriated the RW, but they were hardly "on the fence".

But, in a way, you are right. Obama is depending on an informed, moderate, reasonable, electorate, just like he had too in '08. An electorate (particularly in certain battleground states) that recognize the justice and wisdom of ordering this action today.

Is Obama's trust misplaced? Maybe... we'll find out in a few months!

But in the meantime, he's done a mitzvah.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Who's talking about enforcing the border. Your great comrade just opened the floodgates wider.
Yes, our president is incentivizing illegal immigration.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, our president is incentivizing illegal immigration.
Rewarding breaking the law while spitting on those that have filed paperwork and are patiently waiting.
What a slap in the face to both citizens and would-be citizens.

And Congress, yet again, is silent on the whole matter.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
I came to CD when I heard the news because I knew everyone would be going batsh*t crazy lmfao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration