Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Again, whether they entered legally or illegally over one hundred years ago has absolutely no relevance to our current immigration laws, or massive illegal immigration today.
Yes, it's kind of pointless and idiotic to bring up events that took place 200 or 400 years ago and try to justify anything today. That would be like saying because someone's ancestors owned slaves, it's okay to own slaves today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, it's kind of pointless and idiotic to bring up events that took place 200 or 400 years ago and try to justify anything today. That would be like saying because someone's ancestors owned slaves, it's okay to own slaves today.
Agreed. That attitude you are talking about would blow back on any LatAm country as well as China and most other places in 2012.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why didn't your ancestors stay in their homeland to try and make it better instead of abandoning it?
My parents came here from Canada when my father earned his Ph.D at Cornell University in NY and was offered a professorship and became one of the founders of a US University Veterinary School. Dad became an American citizen because he was earning his livelihood in the US. Mom staunchly retained her Canadian citizenship for 35 years until she became a US citizen in the 1980s. Therefore, my family enriched this country and came here legally.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
My parents came here from Canada when my father earned his Ph.D at Cornell University in NY and was offered a professorship and became one of the founders of a US University Veterinary School. Dad became an American citizen because he was earning his livelihood in the US. Mom staunchly retained her Canadian citizenship for 35 years until she became a US citizen in the 1980s. Therefore, my family enriched this country and came here legally.
Which still didn't really answer the question. Amazingly, did you know someone like your children could actually regain Canadian citizenship? But we do hear quite a bit here about children of Mexican Nationals gaining that Mexican nationality (not citizenship in their case).

Your mother did not actually lose her Canadian citizenship, although your father may have if he did not attempt to retain it...

Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 AM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Which still didn't really answer the question. Amazingly, did you know someone like your children could actually regain Canadian citizenship? But we do hear quite a bit here about children of Mexican Nationals gaining that Mexican nationality (not citizenship in their case).

Your mother did not actually lose her Canadian citizenship, although your father may have if he did not attempt to retain it...
They didn't get their Mexican citizenship due to their parents failing to register the birth abroad with their consul here in the US. The least you could do is give all the correct details vs leaving open to somehow make a straw-man point.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
They didn't get their Mexican citizenship due to their parents failing to register the birth abroad with their consul here in the US. The least you could do is give all the correct details vs leaving open to somehow make a straw-man point.
Mexico makes a heavy distinction between Mexican Nationals and Mexican citizens. There is no jus sanguinis for Mexican citizenship derived from birth to non-ambassadorial Mexican citizens/nationals abroad. Here are the correct details as I understand them, whether an eye roll back at you, or an apology is warranted: Mexican nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth to illegal aliens in the United States, and whether that child gains the nationality/citizenship of the parents, should be expanded more to include almost all countries of the world, not just for Mexico...

Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times
Quote:
Mexico makes a heavy distinction between Mexican Nationals and Mexican citizens. There is no jus sanguinis for Mexican citizenship derived from birth to non-ambassadorial Mexican citizens/nationals abroad. Here are the correct details as I understand them, whether an eye roll back at you, or an apology is warranted: Mexican nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Birth to illegal aliens in the United States, and whether that child gains the nationality/citizenship of the parents, should be expanded more to include almost all countries of the world, not just for Mexico...
Neither is warranted, you are attempting to cherry pick info to suit your claim.

Your wiki link doesn't really verify anything. Try this: U.S.-born kids lose basic rights in Mexico
Quote:
At issue is a Mexican government requirement that any official document from another country be certified inside that country with a seal known as an "apostille," then be translated by a certified, and often expensive, translator in Mexico.....Many of the Mexican parents of U.S. children were not aware of Mexico's paperwork requirement before they came back, so now tens of thousands are struggling to get their children's documents to the United States to be certified, and then returned to Mexico to be officially translated.
I would say there is no automatic citizenship by birth to a Mexican citizen outside of Mexico, but Mexican nationality is automatic. In this since Mexico's birth abroad pretty much falls in line with that of the US's, and most other nations around the world. Birth abroad to one of its citizens or nationals is automatic nationality but citizenship must be registered through the nationals consul in the nation of birth. It is pretty much the same around the world and includes just about all countries of the world.

This line from the article pretty much sums up the major issue
Quote:
missing official seals on the birth certificates.....the documents were no good because they were issued by a health department rather than a government records office, as is done in Mexico.
Even with those birth certificates they wouldn't be able to obtain a US status.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 07-27-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 01:09 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Gee, I thought that was understood. In fact, I have never seen anyone post on this forum or others that specified only children born to Mexican illegals should not be conferred U.S. citizenship. I suspect you haven't either.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Gee, I thought that was understood. In fact, I have never seen anyone post on this forum or others that specified only children born to Mexican illegals should not be conferred U.S. citizenship. I suspect you haven't either.
You are inverting my statement here, the discussion has been that children born to Mexican citizen parents outside Mexico are not deriving that Mexican citizenship from them...

Old 07-27-2012, 07:25 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Bravo. Tried to rep you but must spread the wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration