Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,735,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How does ANY of this relate to people entering this country illegally or overstaying visas? Furthermore, your issue involved a standard legal immigration process. Your wife and children were not escaping famine, and were not in harm's way. In addition, they are now all legally here with you, so what's the problem? Why are you so fixated on what could have happened, rather than being thankful for what did? Frankly, your family saga has become rather tiresome. You need to give it a rest.

However, given your ordeal with the legal immigration process, I would think you would have much more respect for those who enter this country through legal channels, rather than your unwavering support for the millions (primarily Mexican) who skip the process by entering illegally. I find it strange, to say the least.

Nor is your military deployment germane to this discussion. You volunteered to serve. You were not drafted and forced to go overseas, unlike millions who served in prior wars. If you didn't want to risk a wartime deployment, you should not have joined the military, because that is always a possibility. It's just that simple.

We are an extremely compassionate and generous nation. But, this BS has taken its toll. We can't continue to be the dumping ground for the world's impoverished, to the detriment of our own citizens. Funny, you can think of countless reasons for illegals to remain in this country, primarily based on compassion. But, I have yet to see you show even a modicum of compassion for U. S. citizens who have lost livelihoods, had wages depressed, or were even victimized or killed due to the failure of our government to enforce our immigration laws. Why?

This isn't an issue of a few thousand seeking refuge in the U.S. for whatever reason. At issue, are millions of foreigners who believe, we as a nation, owe them a better life, while refusing to even make the slightest effort to improve conditions at home. Rather than holding their own government accountable, they flee to the U.S. and demand our taxpayers supply their needs. In the process, they are draining us dry. This level of abuse is unsustainable, and it has to stop. It's time for Mexico to grow up, stop sucking at the teat of U.S. taxpayers, and take care of their own. We have had enough.
This entire post is representative of how myself and the majority of Americans against illegal immigration feel. The fact that our own government continues to ignore the very laws that they are sworn to uphold while giving this country and our kids' futures away one chunk at a time is nauseating to say the least.

Both illegal and legal immigration is out of control in this country. The excessive and perpetual whining on the part of the poster that you are addressing along with the millions who seem to think that our home is some fantasy island where people should have a right to immigrate here based upon the premise of what they want vs. what is best for America is the perfect analogy as to why I feel that it is way past time for a moratorium on all immigration to this once great country. The initial premise for immigration along with the rule of law that justified the need for immigration or what is best for America is no longer.

It's way past time to blow out the lamp and send the parasites home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 02:55 PM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Over half of those going to legal residency in each of the recent years have already been present in the United States (typically on non-immigrant visa types). The same way my family was (except we exited while they were in their 'K'-class non-immigrant status to go to the U.S. Consulate in Juarez for Immigrant Visas). What are you confused about? There seems to be some perception that marriage to a U.S. citizen conveys resident status or permission to enter the United States.

Why don't you have the same standard for those even able to legally leave to the United States not to repair their own countries? Wouldn't that solve much of the migration problems throughout the world and historically? Those religious prosecution and mandatory military conscription things?
Are you saying in your first paragraph that some immigrants whose initial act was to come to this country illegally are being granted legal residency aka change of status after being here? If that is what is happening then I am opposed to that policy. I'm not confused about anything other than asking is that what you mean. I have never had the perception that being married to a U.S. citizen automatically gains the foreign spouse legal entry into our country. I have heard that it does give them an edge though. I am not arguing that point anyway.

There are various reasons why foreigners want to migrate here. If we took the attitude that all foreingers should stay in their own countries and fix them then we would have no immigrant population. There are times when we do need immigrants. What I was saying and I thought I made myself perfectly clear is that when a foreigner is denied entry into our country the answer isn't to come here illegally anyway but to then stay in their own countries and fix them.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you saying in your first paragraph that some immigrants whose initial act was to come to this country illegally are being granted legal residency aka change of status after being here?..
Accented again: Typically it is an "Adjustment of Status" to legal residency from a non-immigrant visa type...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Accented again: Typically it is an "Adjustment of Status" to legal residency from a non-immigrant visa type...
Again, are you talking about someone who entered our country illegally in the first place? A simple yes or no will suffice.

I also believe that those who have overstayed their visas and became illegal because of that should not be able to be automatically granted an adjustment of status. There should be some penalties involved up to and including having to leave our country first.

Last edited by Oldglory; 07-23-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Again, are you talking about someone who entered our country illegally in the first place? A simple yes or no will suffice...
No.

Quote:
...I also believe that those who have overstayed their visas and became illegal because of that should not be able to be automatically granted an adjustment of status. There should be some penalties involved up to and including having to leave our country first.
A "visa overstay" are the only illegal alien category allowed to adjust status within the United States (since they were "inspected" on entry)...

Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
No.

A "visa overstay" are the only illegal alien category allowed to adjust status within the United States (since they were "inspected" on entry)...
Then the first one is not an illegal immigration issue. I disagree with the second policy because there should be penalties for not adhering to their visa agreements which made their presence in this country illegal, IMO.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Are you saying that they weren't illegal aliens? or did they tunnel through or climb a fence and someone was waiting for them on the other side?

My understanding is that your wife and her children are legal. Did they enter the US illegally?

I don't know why the worry about them having to stay in Mexico. I can think of other countries that would be cause for concern, but not Mexico.
Most of these illegals now dead were not from Mexico but from Honduras and Guatemala -- and it's not nearly as innocent as the pro-illegal side will pretend.

These people are smuggled in by very violent cartel smugglers who make a lot of money smuggling both humans and addictive drugs. These vehicles are almost always stolen -- many thousands of vehicles end up gutted so they can pack in more illegals. And they will kill you if you interfere with the stealing of your vehicle. These people being smuggled are directly contributing to the cartels and their power.

And so much for the so-called "Homeland Security" and the Obama administration is failing to count these vehicles packed full of illegals and all the other many ways they're coming in. Immigration has nothing to do with jobs -- and as these illegals were past the second border checkpoint, they were home free, there would be no other point to apprehend them and Obama has pulled back border patrol agents from the border, making it very very easy for these shipments to come in.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
What I don't get is that they love their country so much, why don't they fight for it? Why don't they unite and rebel against the corrupt government and the cartels? They sure as heck know how to pick a fight in the US with their demands. Using the very civil rights that Americans have died defending.

People have died and will continue to die in other countries fighting the same thing that exists in Mexico - a corrupt government, poverty, jobs, some under military rule. Why do Mexicans run instead of staying and fighting for their country?
Why didn't your ancestors stay in their homeland to try and make it better instead of abandoning it?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why didn't your ancestors stay in their homeland to try and make it better instead of abandoning it?
Seeing as how I have ancestry that is Native American Indian they were already on their homeland. (My great-grandfather and grandfather were bridge and high rise construction workers.) As for the rest of them, they, like all immigrants, had something to do with building this country, not destroying it. I'm also sure that they weren't enticed by government handouts as handouts didn't exist at that time.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Seeing as how I have ancestry that is Native American Indian they were already on their homeland. (My great-grandfather and grandfather were bridge and high rise construction workers.) As for the rest of them, they, like all immigrants, had something to do with building this country, not destroying it. I'm also sure that they weren't enticed by government handouts as handouts didn't exist at that time.
The generic "built this country" is just misplaced ancestor worship. True genealogy research reveals as many human foibles as we have, trying to eke out a living the same way we are. Immigration was an escape as much then as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration