Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 04:02 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
I wouldn't lose my job to an illegal also because one needs a Social Security number and valid forms of US-issued identification to work in my industry...
And here I though all illegals that are receiving a paycheck from an employer have those very documents, fake/forged of course. You have only described what is needed on the I-9 form.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,178,963 times
Quote:

So why would you want to keep high-achieving college educated people from being citizens again? Why not provide those who are driven and intelligent enough to graduate college with a path to citizenship?

I wouldn't lose my job to an illegal also because one needs a Social Security number and valid forms of US-issued identification to work in my industry...
Really? Those who qualify for DACA will be educated, and given work permits. There's also talk of giving them driver's licenses, which is the premier form of ID. If your employer finds he can hire them for less than he pays you, and it's legal for them to work here, don't be surprised if he takes advantage of a money saving opportunity.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It's a lot like saying you don't care about terrorists bombing the USA as long as they don't bomb you.

What becomes of the many millions of Americans who are desperate for a job? Many kids 18-30 are unemployed and underemployed -- the only chance for them would be a job but they can forget ever having a job with the entire world allowed to waltz on in, steal social security numbers and take those jobs.

Not caring one iota about the fate of many millions of your fellow citizens doesn't prove anything good about the OP. Not caring if less fortunate Americans will have to see wages spiral down, so low that they can never make it on their own -- the greedy class only cares about themselves, and of course their unlimited supply of cheap servants.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:
I have a real job, an education and professional qualifications. My job will never be taken by an illegal immigrant.

I live in San Diego, one of America's safest cities...yet it's one of the most overcrowded with Illegals...so maybe Illegals don't cause crime or violence. Detroit does not have many Illegals, nor does East St. Louis, New Orleans or Washington DC, yet all those places are crime-ridden and violent. El Paso is even safer than San Diego and it's on the border with Juarez.

That's why Illegal Immigration is a non-issue to me.

That and the fact that immigration laws didn't exist for the first 100+ years of this nation and then were only first enacted out of racism against the Irish, Japanese, Chinese, etc.
To me, illegal aliens in the US is a big issue. Between them pushing down wages for lots of Americans, especially Black and Hispanic people and simply having more lawbreakers here, there's NO good reason for them to be here.

I guess Mexico's racist too: they also have immigration laws as well as every other country in the word.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's a lot like saying you don't care about terrorists bombing the USA as long as they don't bomb you.

What becomes of the many millions of Americans who are desperate for a job? Many kids 18-30 are unemployed and underemployed -- the only chance for them would be a job but they can forget ever having a job with the entire world allowed to waltz on in, steal social security numbers and take those jobs.

Not caring one iota about the fate of many millions of your fellow citizens doesn't prove anything good about the OP. Not caring if less fortunate Americans will have to see wages spiral down, so low that they can never make it on their own -- the greedy class only cares about themselves, and of course their unlimited supply of cheap servants.
The OP's post is very ironic, considering that he is a self-described liberal, and most liberals always ram the "Republicans are meanies, they are selfish and only care about themselves and want the rest to die on the street!" BS down our throats. Pot meet kettle, OP. You don't care that illegals are overrunning the US and that they are displacing millions of your fellow citizens. But, hey, as long as you're doing ok do as I say, not as I do, eh libs?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Well i will tell you something i just learned today. I know this fellow, who today told my husband and myself, that he was riding a motorcycle a yr ago. And a drunk illegal driver hit him. Talk about a messed up guy, he has a plate in his wrist all the way up his arm, in his leg, his back was messed up, i can go on and on. He is lucky to be alive, as he says.

Judge stupid ignorant a-whole that he was, let the guy go. This guy has had so many problems since this accident, and don't even let me tell you what he thinks about illegals in this Country, it ain't pretty!

The idiot illegal was drunk and ran a red light and head on into this guy we know. He cannot understand this judge, and would like to hurt him also.

When exceptions are made for people in this Country who are here illegally, and don't get treated the same as our citizens for the same crimes being commited, something is very wrong here.
This gentlemen is on medication now for life.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:22 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
One's job might never be taken by illegal immigrants, but one's tax dollars helps to support them.
The funny thing is that the opposite is true. Illegal immigrants working in restaurants, retail and other such jobs with false documents pay billions into benefits they will never receive like Medicare and Social Security and not to mention all of the money they are still being deducted for federal and state taxes. Thanks to them these social programs are still afloat in the country. It isn't like they are exempt from sales and property taxes either. Yes sir, illegal immigrants contribute plenty to the various tax coffers in this country on a federal, state and local basis.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The funny thing is that the opposite is true. Illegal immigrants working in restaurants, retail and other such jobs with false documents pay billions into benefits they will never receive like Medicare and Social Security and not to mention all of the money they are still being deducted for federal and state taxes. Thanks to them these social programs are still afloat in the country. It isn't like they are exempt from sales and property taxes either. Yes sir, illegal immigrants contribute plenty to the various tax coffers in this country on a federal, state and local basis.
At the end of the year they can use their ITIN and have there SS contributions refunded, or in some instances they can go back to their country of origin and receive the SS they paid into from the US (Totalization Agreements). Illegals do receive Medicaid that is not with held form their paychecks. So what they pay into Medicare (1.45% of their wage), doesn't cover the costs they receive from medicaid. Time to Bar Illegals From Medicaid
Quote:
Although the numbers of illegal aliens remain guestimates, the costs and accompanying debts are real, and taxpayers know it. The Congressional Budget Office, for instance, estimates Medicaid benefits received by illegal aliens at from $48 billion to $76 billion annually.
This number ($48 billion to $76 billion annually) is far greater than they pay into both medicare and SS from there payroll deductions, which only comes out to $10-$20B annually.

Federal and state taxes - they usually get back all of state, and federal they can get back more than was with held; equating to a negative tax owed, the ITIN and the ACTC come to mind where in they received back more the $4.8B than was withheld.

Usage tax, everybody pays, the little they pay isn't enough to cover their own costs.

Please provide a link showing that they contribute plenty to the various tax coffers in this country on a federal, state and local basis. ...LMFAO........LOLZ....

So, yes, they receive much more in benefits than they pay for.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:14 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post

So, yes, they receive much more in benefits than they pay for.
The only tax you've mentioned is payroll tax...what about the many other taxes they pay (property, sales, etc.) It looks like you failed to include those taxes into your equation.

It's true that there are some who claim a high number of dependants on their W4 form to lower their payroll deduction for state and federal taxes but to my knowledge the majority do not do this.

I know alot of undocumented immigrants and don't know a single one who has gotten their SS deductions refunded. I would suspect that is far less common than you seem to believe.

Nation & World | Illegal immigrants pay Social Security tax, won't benefit | Seattle Times Newspaper

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 09-17-2012 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The only tax you've mentioned is payroll tax...what about the many other taxes they pay (property, sales, etc.) It looks like you failed to include those taxes into your equation.

It's true that there are some who claim a high number of dependants on their W4 form to lower their payroll deduction for state and federal taxes but to my knowledge the majority do not do this.

I know alot of undocumented immigrants and don't know a single one who has gotten their SS deductions refunded. I would suspect that is far less common than you seem to believe.
You might re-read my comment: Usage tax, everybody pays, the little they pay isn't enough to cover their own costs. You do know what usage taxes are right?

W4 claims (payroll withholding for total family number) are not the same as ITIN claims (filing tax documents and claiming more children then live in the household). Either way they have their owed taxes diminshed and receive back more in the end than was withheld.

SS refunds, common or not, they can have them refunded. If they fail to do so, who's fault is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration