Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Since other responses indicate support, what is holding these "educated types" from immigrating?...

Still has to be a demand in the host country that cannot be met by people already there.

Also, the fact that it's harder to attract educated people, who have more options in their own countries, as well as other countries that also use "value to the country" means testing to accept immigrants - such as Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
I just provided you examples from that same immigrating group, and countered with an example that was not from the largest group (there were more Irish immigrants than Germans in the primary years)...

How do you feel about community programs (and adult education organizations in some state universities) that teach English to immigrants?...

That was one other aspect to our "success" story: My wife attended a program run by our local public library, and finished with the highest score of the session...

In the picture of the students and instructors published in the local newspaper upon the course completion, you could see her smile for miles...
I think that immigrants should pay out of their own pockets to learn English. It shouldn't be taxpayer funded. That should be understood before they come here. IMO, immigrants should have some command of English are a requirement to migrate here.

I stand by what I said, assimilation to our language and culture isn't occuring in a timely manner because of the lack of diversity in our immigration numbers today. I commend your wife for being the exception to the rule. Hopefully she uses English as her primary language of usage especially out in mainstream. That is true assimilation, IMO.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think that immigrants should pay out of their own pockets to learn English. It shouldn't be taxpayer funded. That should be understood before they come here. IMO, immigrants should have some command of English are a requirement to migrate here.

I stand by what I said, assimilation to our language and culture isn't occuring in a timely manner because of the lack of diversity in our immigration numbers today. I commend your wife for being the exception to the rule. Hopefully she uses English as her primary language of usage especially out in mainstream. That is true assimilation, IMO.
Again, the classes like my wife took are funded by donations within the community. She was in attendance while she awaited work authorization (at that time, as a sponsor, I was the only one of my family allowed to work). Even for our "success" story you are putting criteria in place that we were unable to meet (not all of our family fully knew English at the time of immigration).

You've got to throw some bone out there so someone has a better chance of learning English...

Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Again, the classes like my wife took are funded by donations within the community. She was in attendance while she awaited work authorization (at that time, as a sponsor, I was the only one of my family allowed to work). Even for our "success" story you are putting criteria in place that we were unable to meet (not all of our family fully knew English at the time of immigration).

You've got to throw some bone out there so someone has a better chance of learning English...
No "bone" need to be thrown there. Back in the day people were HAPPY to move to the US and it was on THEM to learn English. Sheesh!

Old 10-04-2012, 12:07 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

I wasn't attempting a guess at how your wife's English classes were funded. Private donations is a seperate issue from tax funded classes. I can't tell private enities (I guess that is whom you meant when you said community?) whom to donate money to but I would like to see them donate that money to poor Americans in some way instead.

Regardless of your success story I am not entitled to my opinion that immigrants should pay for their own English classes or have a working knowledge of English before they come here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration