Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:33 PM

8,086 posts, read 10,684,082 times

Advertisements

HMMMM. I wonder whether English white people had anything at all to do with the building of this country and the laying of it's foundations. Oh wait, didn't they write the Constitution or something? Can we have a White Heritage Month? I guess not - that would be racist.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,693,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
HMMMM. I wonder whether English white people had anything at all to do with the building of this country and the laying of it's foundations. Oh wait, didn't they write the Constitution or something? Can we have a White Heritage Month? I guess not - that would be racist.
I know it is such a double standard!!!!!!!! Drives me nuts.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:43 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,214,697 times
I think we ought to have Euro American heritage month at least.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,199,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I think we ought to have Euro American heritage month at least.
In all fairness:

Taking St Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, Columbus Day, the Spanish side of 'Hispanic Heritage Month', etc. us 'Euro' White people are quite dominant in celebrations.

What may wind up tearing up 'La Raza' would be to lump the Mestizo Hispanics in with Native Americans/Eskimos while placing the blanco ones in with the putative Euros.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,456,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear

What may wind up tearing up 'La Raza' would be to lump the Mestizo Hispanics in with Native Americans/Eskimos while placing the blanco ones in with the putative Euros.
Since Mestizo means "white with indigenous," it's a little strange to me anyway.

Then again, I think it's racist to adhere to the "one drop rule" and identify biracial persons as the "non-white" half they happen to be.... so I'm already a (point of view) minority on that one.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,199,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Since Mestizo means "white with indigenous," it's a little strange to me anyway.

Then again, I think it's racist to adhere to the "one drop rule" and identify biracial persons as the "non-white" half they happen to be.... so I'm already a (point of view) minority on that one.
The 'one drop' rule is at best; a sad farce--------it walks hand in hand with the hypo-descent rule placing the child of, say a Anglo/White and a Black, etc. in with the so-called 'lower status' group.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,214,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The 'one drop' rule is at best; a sad farce--------it walks hand in hand with the hypo-descent rule placing the child of, say a Anglo/White and a Black, etc. in with the so-called 'lower status' group.
Its strange that a white woman can give birth to a black child but a black woman cannot give birth to a white child.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,960,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
Omaha has been running Hispanic Heritage Month commercials every 15 minutes. It's in english (presumably for the general populace to get the message) and reminds us who the majority of immigrants are and how proud they are of their heritage.

The 30 second commercial shows hispanics in all ages and genders in traditional dress playing music and lauding the praises of their homeland, which is also presented as a backdrop. In the audio portion, the various people keep it simple: "This is our history, this is our homeland (inserted picture of Mayan ruin), this is my music (mariachi band in traditional mexican costume), this is our future....etc, etc,

I went to a Polish Day (not an entire month) celebration and had lots of fun.
You can bet your pants I'm going to the Hispanic celebrations and expect to have a great time as well. This is an invitation, right?
I'm curious thought, why a whole 'Month'? Why not a 'Day' like the Polish?
Probably because Hispanics are the largest minority in the U.S.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:00 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,532,598 times
You know what, I don't mind you folks attacking illegal immigration. However, when you start attacking Hispanics in general, including LEGAL Hispanics in America, I have a problem with it.

Hispanic Heritage Month as well Spanish Shows on TV, Pressing 1 for Español, have nothing to do with illegals. It only makes you seem very xenophobic or even worse, prejudice against Hispanic way of life in America.

Your fued is with illegals, the government, and the companies that hire these illegals, do not make this about Hispanics in America.

Thank you.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:05 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,806,630 times
Whoopdeedoo.

November is American Indian Month, February is African American month, May is Asian Pacific month, March is Irish American heritage month, October is Polish American and Italian American Heritage month, June is Caribbean American Heritage month. "White" is not an ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration