Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 AM

273 posts, read 249,503 times

Advertisements

Omaha has been running Hispanic Heritage Month commercials every 15 minutes. It's in english (presumably for the general populace to get the message) and reminds us who the majority of immigrants are and how proud they are of their heritage.

The 30 second commercial shows hispanics in all ages and genders in traditional dress playing music and lauding the praises of their homeland, which is also presented as a backdrop. In the audio portion, the various people keep it simple: "This is our history, this is our homeland (inserted picture of Mayan ruin), this is my music (mariachi band in traditional mexican costume), this is our future....etc, etc,

I went to a Polish Day (not an entire month) celebration and had lots of fun.
You can bet your pants I'm going to the Hispanic celebrations and expect to have a great time as well. This is an invitation, right?
I'm curious thought, why a whole 'Month'? Why not a 'Day' like the Polish?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,746,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
Omaha has been running Hispanic Heritage Month commercials every 15 minutes. It's in english (presumably for the general populace to get the message) and reminds us who the majority of immigrants are and how proud they are of their heritage.

The 30 second commercial shows hispanics in all ages and genders in traditional dress playing music and lauding the praises of their homeland, which is also presented as a backdrop. In the audio portion, the various people keep it simple: "This is our history, this is our homeland (inserted picture of Mayan ruin), this is my music (mariachi band in traditional mexican costume), this is our future....etc, etc,

I went to a Polish Day (not an entire month) celebration and had lots of fun.
You can bet your pants I'm going to the Hispanic celebrations and expect to have a great time as well. This is an invitation, right?
I'm curious thought, why a whole 'Month'? Why not a 'Day' like the Polish?
Could be they are so busy doing the work that Americans wont do that not everyone can get the same day off.
Or since it’s Omaha they don’t want everyone assembled in one place to make it easy for ICE to round them up.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:23 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,676,781 times
Do we get an Irish Heritage month too? I mean alot of Irish Immigrants helped build this country. What not worthy? I can understand a day ,but a month?

Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,203,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Do we get an Irish Heritage month too? I mean alot of Irish Immigrants helped build this country. What not worthy? I can understand a day ,but a month?
People of German descent form the largest ancestry group in the USA. I don't think there is even a German Heritage day let alone month!

Old 10-08-2007, 11:27 AM

520 posts, read 1,854,317 times
Actually, March is Irish-American Heritage Month. Irish-American Heritage Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Actually, March is Irish-American Heritage Month. Irish-American Heritage Month - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
First I have heard of it, is it a widely televised and promoted? I know I have never seen any celebrations.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
People of German descent form the largest ancestry group in the USA. I don't think there is even a German Heritage day let alone month!
Lots of places celebrate Oktoberfest. I think that counts for something.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I know I am half. All I have ever heard is that it isnt something to be proud of, like they were all Nazi's!! And no havent seen a heritage day either.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
First I have heard of it, is it a widely televised and promoted? I know I have never seen any celebrations.
I've never heard of it either. Makes sense that its in March though... St Patricks day and all.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:31 AM

311 posts, read 1,377,223 times
Other groups also have month long celebrations. There's black history month in February and Asian-Pacific Heritage Month a couple of months later (I forget which one).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration