Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:42 AM

442 posts, read 800,666 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I'm not an American nor have I ever even visited. My knowledge and perception of the country comes from television, books and movies, like most Europeans. I do have a friend in the Marine Corps, a friend in college in Pennsylvania and some lost relative somewhere. My fascination with the life and culture of America is endless, though.

Rest assured, I'm not some low-skilled worker who's planning on immigrating. This thread is about a different issue entirely.

I guess what I want to know is just how can the issue of illegal immigration be as bad as it seems? As bad as everyone describes it on these forums and in the news? Like how come there's so little control, so few check-ups and the problem keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger and seemingly messing up the lives of actual citizens?

Everything I keep reading seems so convoluted and hazy and confusing even though it seems that this issue should be something simple? Who actually benefits from them? How come the deportation numbers aren't higher? How come they can actually protest?

I thought I was a bright kid but hey...

Can someone sort of.. break it down for me? Because, seriously, from an outsider's point of view, this is ludicrous and illogical and... weird.

Thanks

-Franklin

Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin_mac View Post
Let me start by saying that I'm not an American nor have I ever even visited. My knowledge and perception of the country comes from television, books and movies, like most Europeans. I do have a friend in the Marine Corps, a friend in college in Pennsylvania and some lost relative somewhere. My fascination with the life and culture of America is endless, though.

Rest assured, I'm not some low-skilled worker who's planning on immigrating. This thread is about a different issue entirely.

I guess what I want to know is just how can the issue of illegal immigration be as bad as it seems? As bad as everyone describes it on these forums and in the news? Like how come there's so little control, so few check-ups and the problem keeps getting bigger and bigger and bigger and seemingly messing up the lives of actual citizens?

Everything I keep reading seems so convoluted and hazy and confusing even though it seems that this issue should be something simple? Who actually benefits from them? How come the deportation numbers aren't higher? How come they can actually protest?

Can someone sort of.. break it down for me? Because, seriously, from an outsider's point of view, this is ludicrous and illogical and... weird.

Thanks

-Franklin
Try reading the numerous topics in here and you will find the answer to your questions.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:

Thanks

-Franklin

I don't see how 10 million + people that broke the law doesn't affect you?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:13 AM

Come again?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,848,445 times
Quote:
Come again?
Despite you saying you weren't an American, he didn't read, and assumed that you were...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Try reading the numerous topics in here and you will find the answer to your questions.
The topics are not an overview of the issue, there would be more questions to be answered...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Yeah, exactly. I've browsed this forum for years and it's headache inducing sometimes. I don't know if there's a solid answer for this in layman's terms but I thought asking opinionated Americans would be worth a shot. Just trying to understand this strange and morbidly interesting phenomenon.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Quote:
Yeah, exactly. I've browsed this forum for years and it's headache inducing sometimes. I don't know if there's a solid answer for this in layman's terms but I thought asking opinionated Americans would be worth a shot. Just trying to understand this strange and morbidly interesting phenomenon.
For decades Illegal Immigrants were drawn here by US companies to work and there was little problem. It wasn't until the early 2000's when Hispanics started a trend to become the majority in this country, that Illegal Immigration became a hot topic. Some in the US (e.g. Antis in this forum) consider this Hispanic boom in direct correlation to illegal immigration.

The problem is that this economy has ran too long on the backs of Illegals (cheap labor) from Latin America and it is proving difficult to ween US companies and the Government off. Also it has become more complex involving children who were born here to illegal immigrants, whom are now US citizens.

So now you have 3 groups that have formed:
1) Anti's - Jail, Deport entire families, amend the constitution (no more US citizenship), put up walls on the Southern Border.
2) Sympathizers - Those who think the illegals should stay and become active members of society.
3) Reformists - Stop US hiring of illegals, allow those who are here to stay, especially the kids. Fix the problem going forward.

Does that help?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Come again?
It was phrase as an example.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Despite you saying you weren't an American, he didn't read, and assumed that you were...

The topics are not an overview of the issue, there would be more questions to be answered...
It was phrase as an example of how would you feel etc......

Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It was phrase as an example of how would you feel etc......
I can't really imagine since I haven't seen the before and after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Does that help?
Very much. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration