Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's huge movement away from Herman Cain's immigrant zapper electric fence, and the debate that swirled around it. I think a lot of people in DC "are" whatever they think is going to help them win. If the tea party isn't working for them any more down the road, you'll be amazed at how moderate they become. You still have ideologues there, but the majority of them (although there are exceptions) usually don't survive long.
It's also a long way off of John McCain's 2010 position during his Senate run in Arizona as well. Gee, I wonder what changed?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's huge movement away from Herman Cain's immigrant zapper electric fence, and the debate that swirled around it. I think a lot of people in DC "are" whatever they think is going to help them win. If the tea party isn't working for them any more down the road, you'll be amazed at how moderate they become. You still have ideologues there, but the majority of them (although there are exceptions) usually don't survive long.
That was just Cain's angle of attack during the campaign. Had he won, he'd probably be talking about some kind of "pathway" too.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you can't ignore 12-20 million illegals living in this country while also laxing border control and deportation policies.
Why not just enforce current laws? What makes you think new laws will work?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
This bill can be done in a way that hurts the incentive to come here illegally. Making this far from a simple easy path to citizenship is the way to go. Make it take time and effort. And while we have done more to secure the border, more can and needs to be done. If we are going to do this, it needs to be done right.

And it needs to be understood, this is not going to be some quick easy path to citizenship. It will be painstaking and take time and wont be some path to quick voters for this party or that party.

Along with border and making it not easy for those who are illegal, more also needs to be done to punish businesses who hire illegals.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Now that's what I would like to see in the bill. The US has to stop making this a country where you get to stay by virtue of the fact that you gave birth to a documented American. We need new tougher laws and that would include toughening up the laws already in place and haven't been enforced. Come up with, and enforce a law where companies are slapped with big fines for each illegal that they hire.

The first amnesty in 1986 was a total failure and what we are going through now is a result of that mistake/failure. I expect this to be as big a failure with plenty of "mini" amnesties to follow. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Since 2006 the government said there are 11 million illegals in the US. How is it that figure never went up? 2012 they are still saying 11 million. How is that possible? The number is more like 20 million. Reagan found out that there were more than 3 times the number of illegals than they projected. What is the government going to do with those that don't qualify to get on the path?
They should end birth right citizenship to illegals, make English the official language, & make it harder for them to live & come here.

Not legalize them simply because they are here.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Now that's what I would like to see in the bill. The US has to stop making this a country where you get to stay by virtue of the fact that you gave birth to a documented American. We need new tougher laws and that would include toughening up the laws already in place and haven't been enforced. Come up with, and enforce a law where companies are slapped with big fines for each illegal that they hire.

The first amnesty in 1986 was a total failure and what we are going through now is a result of that mistake/failure. I expect this to be as big a failure with plenty of "mini" amnesties to follow. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Since 2006 the government said there are 11 million illegals in the US. How is it that figure never went up? 2012 they are still saying 11 million. How is that possible? The number is more like 20 million. Reagan found out that there were more than 3 times the number of illegals than they projected. What is the government going to do with those that don't qualify to get on the path?
Some deportation is going to have to be a part of this. Or at least I hope so. I think most of us realize we cant realistically deport tens of millions of people. But we absolutely can and should deport some.

This bill better not be thousands of pages long either. I want to be able to actually read it and comprehend it and not have it be some mess like the Health care garbage. It should be relatively easy to read the bill and determine if they screwed up or not.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
You guys have such a short memory. Border security was what they promised us when they gave amenity last time. How did that work out for us now?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Some deportation is going to have to be a part of this. Or at least I hope so. I think most of us realize we cant realistically deport tens of millions of people. But we absolutely can and should deport some.

This bill better not be thousands of pages long either. I want to be able to actually read it and comprehend it and not have it be some mess like the Health care garbage. It should be relatively easy to read the bill and determine if they screwed up or not.
Well you have your sanctuary cities and states where they can go and live without the fear of deportation.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you have your sanctuary cities and states where they can go and live without the fear of deportation.
True, so there is a lot that needs to be done and that this bill needs to include. Massive penalties need to be leveled on places that harbor them.

This isnt easy and this bill has to be thorough and tough.

Id love to be able to just deport as many as possible if not all of them. But its just not feasible. There's no easy answer for this problem, but this bill, if done right could work out much better than doing nothing.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:21 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
There's a minimum of 20 million illegals, closer to 30 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration