Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times

Advertisements

Bad news for the haters.

Quote:
Poll: Many say let illegal immigrants stay in US

ERICA WERNER AND DENNIS JUNIUS | January 22, 2013 03:22 PM EST |

WASHINGTON — A new Associated Press-GfK poll has found that more than 60 percent of Americans now favor allowing a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants already in the country.

That's a significantly higher number than last time the AP polled on the question, in 2010, when just 50 percent supported the idea.

The turnaround has been driven by Republicans changing their views. A majority in the GOP – 53 percent – now favor allowing illegal immigrants a path to citizenship. That's up 22 percentage points from 2010.

The findings come amid Republican soul-searching about how to broaden the party's appeal to Latino voters. And they come as President Barack Obama prepares to push immigration legislation.
Poll: Many say let illegal immigrants stay in US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Doesn't matter what Americans say..it's what Congress passes and the President signs.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:51 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
60% of Americans support allowing illegal immigrants to become citizens.

If your premise is true, which I sincerely doubt, put it to a national vote and see what the results look like. I could be wrong, but I doubt that they would turn out the way the government and the press wish they would.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:02 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The Huffington Post? I note they didn't provide a link to the poll or how the questions were worded.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The Huffington Post? I note they didn't provide a link to the poll or how the questions were worded.
Sorry I should have provided a better link. The story and the poll is from the Associated Press and was carried on numerous news sites today. The poll was done by research company GfK.

The Associated Press is kind of a major news source, I think.

AP-GfK Poll: Most back path to citizenship for illegal immigrants as Republican opposition declines

Link to the poll:

THE AP-GfK POLL January, 2013
Conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Corporate Communications

Old 04-13-2013, 07:15 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
The poll asks if they strongly favor (35%) or somewhat favor (27%) somewhat oppose (12%) and strongly oppose (23%).

So only 35% really favor a path to citizenship and 27% probably favor legalization, while 12% could also be for legalization and 23% would want total deportation.

Again that would be 35% citizenship, 27-39% legalization, and 23% deportation.
Quote:
Overall, the poll found 35 percent strongly favored allowing illegal immigrants to become citizens over time, while 27 percent favored the idea somewhat. Just 35 percent of Americans opposed the approach, with 23 percent strongly opposed and 12 percent somewhat opposed.
For the AP to claim a 62% for citizenship is a fallacy based on the answers. The 62% should be for legalization instead. While 35% would be for citizenship and 35% would be for deportation. Interpretation is everything, but when there is a political bias in the reporting, how can one follow it as gospel?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Reigns View Post
The poll asks if they strongly favor (35%) or somewhat favor (27%) somewhat oppose (12%) and strongly oppose (23%).

So only 35% really favor a path to citizenship and 27% probably favor legalization, while 12% could also be for legalization and 23% would want total deportation.

Again that would be 35% citizenship, 27-39% legalization, and 23% deportation.For the AP to claim a 62% for citizenship is a fallacy based on the answers. The 62% should be for legalization instead. While 35% would be for citizenship and 35% would be for deportation. Interpretation is everything, but when there is a political bias in the reporting, how can one follow it as gospel?
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Its really pretty simple. 62% strongly or somewhat favor a legal way for illegal immigrants already in the United States to become U.S. citizens. 35% strongly or somewhat oppose it.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:56 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
How many times do I have to repeat myself?

THERE HAS ALREADY BEEN A LEGAL WAY FOR ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS TO BECOME LEGAL: Go home and apply for LEGAL immigration like every legal immigrant!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:03 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
I think the wording should have been different. They should have asked whether or not to give the illegal immigrants amnesty.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:24 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are getting at. Its really pretty simple. 62% strongly or somewhat favor a legal way for illegal immigrants already in the United States to become U.S. citizens. 35% strongly or somewhat oppose it.
Simple? If it were so simple they wouldn't have asked if they were strongly in favor or somewhat in favor. Strongly we can definitely believe citizenship, somewhat, not so much, but we can bet they would be for legalization. So you see its not so simple really, its more misleading in the way that the numbers were interpreted by the AP, claiming 62% for citizenship, when only 35% can be truly used.

The best you can do is define what "somewhat" means, how can someone be for somewhat favoring citizenship? Could somewhat mean legalization? I would bet yes.
Quote:
Bad news for the haters.
Hardly At best, this pole shows a path to legalization by a majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration