Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 PM

116 posts, read 110,334 times

Advertisements

Fred Abraham is an economics professor at the University of Northern Iowa.

Why not let a real educated economist tell it like it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post

You spend a lot of time trying to make us believe that breaking our laws does not count. I wonder if your Professor Abraham would have the same opinion if half a dozen moved into his house?

By most estimates we have about 20 million legal Americans out of work. Many of the hardest hit are the unskilled legal immigrants and minorities. Dumping another 11 or 33 million workers into the competition is not going to help – regardless of what any professor comes up with. Perhaps if we were only “fast-tracking” economic professors he would see things differently?

Old 05-01-2013, 12:11 AM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
You spend a lot of time trying to make us believe that breaking our laws does not count. I wonder if your Professor Abraham would have the same opinion if half a dozen moved into his house?

By most estimates we have about 20 million legal Americans out of work. Many of the hardest hit are the unskilled legal immigrants and minorities. Dumping another 11 or 33 million workers into the competition is not going to help – regardless of what any professor comes up with. Perhaps if we were only “fast-tracking” economic professors he would see things differently?
It sounds to me the Professor hasn't studied the problem. Either that or he has crap for brains.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 AM

157 posts, read 137,291 times
Quote:
But according to Abraham, if lawmakers decide to focus on making it easier for people to immigrate to the U.S., there could be significant impacts on the U.S. economy because more people would potentially be coming to the country to live and work.

"If we bring more workers into the country, what's going to happen? That's an increase in the supply of labor. An increase in the supply of labor in the short run is probably going to drive down wages so I think that we have to say that in the short term, there's going to be a decline in wages, especially in lower-skilled jobs," he said.

But Abraham admits only time will tell."

So basically Abraham really doesn't know much of anything, he is doing nothing more than making assumption based on theory. Thus your claim of letting real educated economist tell it like it is falls short based on your own link.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubi Panis View Post

1 economist? He hardly seems credible after quoting the 11 million figure which has been used for over 10 years.

Even though his economics is wrong, I am sure he didn't factor in civil, legal, & cultural issues.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
That guy is a professor at a university..hardly well known and full of "book knowledge".

Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Call me a racist; I don't care ... Spanish speaking bottom feeders from LatAm.
Firstly, the self-description seems to me to be accurante, in this instance.

Secondly, I agree that we should recruit the best and brightest from around the World to join us in the USA as we strive to continue to excel as a nation. We seem to have a special need for persons in the math and science fields.

Thirdly, the 'best and brightest' aren't the ones who will be doing most of what many of the illegal aliens are doing for work ... and, most importantly, we need to find ways to identify, inventory and have better control over people who are already in the USA ... illegally.

These are two different issues.

Fourthly, the best and most effective way to control illegal immigration is to dry-up the source of income/employment. The business community is principally responsible for the proliferation of illegal aliens in the USA. Harsh penalties need to be applied to those employers who don't comply with the laws ... be those laws the existing ones, or ones newly approved. Eliminate the opportunity to earn income and one of two things is likely to happen: i) the illegal aliens will return to their home countries, or (ii) the illegal aliens will identify themselves to the government and participate in whichever programs are the result of the Congressional 'immigration reforms'

Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

Secondly, I agree that we should recruit the best and brightest from around the World to join us in the USA as we strive to continue to excel as a nation. We seem to have a special need for persons in the math and science fields.

Thirdly, the 'best and brightest' aren't the ones who will be doing most of what many of the illegal aliens are doing for work ... and, most importantly, we need to find ways to identify, inventory and have better control over people who are already in the USA ... illegally.

Fourthly, the best and most effective way to control illegal immigration is to dry-up the source of income/employment. The business community is principally responsible for the proliferation of illegal aliens in the USA. Harsh penalties need to be applied to those employers who don't comply with the laws ... be those laws the existing ones, or ones newly approved. Eliminate the opportunity to earn income and one of two things is likely to happen: i) the illegal aliens will return to their home countries, or (ii) the illegal aliens will identify themselves to the government and participate in whichever programs are the result of the Congressional 'immigration reforms'
Well the problem with the illegals is that they are not the best and brightest.
It's just the opposite..least educated and poor.
And Mexicans are the majority of the illegals.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post

I don't disgree that the job incentives need to be removed but why hasn't this happened already? Now it is going to be used as a bargaining tool to allow illegals to remain here? Why hasn't it been done before this? Benefits and birthright citizenship are the other magnets. Without those two things removed also this legislation is nothing but pure crappola. Illegals will continue to come here so what have we accomplished? I say mandate e-verify across the board and that would include those already on the payroll, no benefits unless you are a U.S. citizen yourself (their kids can't be the qualifier) and changing birthright citizenship so that at least one parent is a citizen along with strict enforcement of all of the above. After the dust settles then we can talk. Our government needs to do these things up front not use them as bargaining tools to allow illegals to remain here. Otherwise I don't believe a word of all their empty promises.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:40 AM

116 posts, read 110,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the problem with the illegals is that they are not the best and brightest.
It's just the opposite..least educated and poor.
20% of them have some college education. But what's 2 million people between anti-immigrant extremists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration