Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 04:56 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,951,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
OMG! This politically correct stuff is getting out of hand. The original poster said his wife was Mexican American. Appartently that term doesn't bother her. What on earth is wrong with that term anyway? Mexico is a country. America is a country. We have got to get over this politically correct BS.
I am also 100% Mexican and am also American. I have no problem if people call me Hispanic, Chicano, Latino e.t.c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 02:00 PM

447 posts, read 798,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelynn View Post
I've noticed a lot that people do compare Illegals to terrorists.

because some illegals are terrorists.....were you asleep when 9-11 happened?

Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivski View Post
because some illegals are terrorists.....were you asleep when 9-11 happened?
Didn't they have visas?

Old 11-10-2007, 04:36 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,526,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
Friendly warning, the people on this forum do not support that term. Even though most of these people on these forums themselves are not Mexican they would rather prefer to call legal Mexicans "Americans from Mexican decent". They know they wear the "Irish I were Mexican" t-shirts in their own house .
Most of the Mexican Americans I know detest that term as well. They call themselves "American."

Old 11-10-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Most of the Mexican Americans I know detest that term as well. They call themselves "American."
Good for them, I welcome either.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Yes it is, and before anyone says it, yes when it gets better in Mexico (which it appears to be heading) I think Mexicans will return to the homeland, but family and progress is most important.
"Family and progress is most important" to most immigrants to this country. But, with all due respect, referring to Mexicans as your "people" is offensive. My family are immigrants, as well, from an equally traditional culture which values family and progress no less than Mexican culture does, but they consider themselves American, and Americans, first and foremost, are their "people." I think that for you to see Mexicans, over and above Americans (of many races), as your "people" is racist.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Statutes of limitations apply to crime events. Being in the country illegally is a criminal condition. For a statute of limitations to apply to illegal immigration, the immigrant must first either remove himself from the country or legalize his status. As long as he remains in the country illegally, he is in the commission of a crime.

What you are calling for is amnesty. Any amnesty program, without a concurrent increase in enforcement, would amount to a de-facto open borders policy.

I agree. Also I'd say if the feds wanted to they could prosecute illegals as part of a criminal conspiracy they just choose not to. It could be argued that they aren't actually committing a series of consecutive crimes but one continuous crime.In which case the statutes of limitations wouldn't apply because the crime is still occurring. Much in the same way the feds frequently use RICO laws to nail gangsters.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:03 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
"Family and progress is most important" to most immigrants to this country. But, with all due respect, referring to Mexicans as your "people" is offensive. My family are immigrants, as well, from an equally traditional culture which values family and progress no less than Mexican culture does, but they consider themselves American, and Americans, first and foremost, are their "people." I think that for you to see Mexicans, over and above Americans (of many races), as your "people" is racist.
When I refer to "my people" I refer to my ancestry. Being only 2nd generation American I still feel a strong tie to "my people" of my ancestry. Most Americans I know still call themselves Welsh, Irish, German, Italian, Israeli, Pakistani, Indian and those are their people, their roots and care for them deep. I never put them "over" Americans, I can care for both countries and for every race.

I guess if you have been here for 5-6 generations then you have lost touch with your roots and care less if America bombs the people of your ancestry tomorrow?

Last edited by Mach50; 11-13-2007 at 12:19 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
When I refer to "my people" I refer to my ancestry. Being only 2nd generation American I still feel a strong tie to "my people" of my ancestry. Most Americans I know still call themselves Welsh, Irish, German, Italian, Israeli, Pakistani, Indian and those are their people, their roots and care for them deep. I never put them "over" Americans, I can care for both countries and for every race.

I guess if you have been here for 5-6 generations then you have lost touch with your roots and care less if America bombs the people of your ancestry tomorrow?
As you know; I am 1/2 Hungarian in heritage (my father is an immigrant), if said country attacked us (highly unlikely admittedly), I would have little heartburn blowing that place to kingdom come.

Maybe because I have very little cultural connection to 'Magyars' (Hungarian word for 'Hungarian')-------I consider myself to be a WASP.

NOTE: anymore; 'WASP' is essentially a cultural label------the former Defence Minister of Great Britain, Michael Portillo, is one--------despite his Hispanic roots.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

NOTE: anymore; 'WASP' is essentially a cultural label------the former Defence Minister of Great Britain, Michael Portillo, is one--------despite his Hispanic roots.
I just HAD to acknowledge the profound appropriateness of your statement--it speaks volumes to our present "mess" regarding illegal immigration---and, in the larger sense, multiculturalism in general. The fact is that, it's only in very recent years that America has tried to pass itself off as "multicultural". People who immigrated here, until recently, were expected to become AMERICANS..and, in many ways, to adopt the culture of "WASPS". Italians in America aren't like Italians in Italy---they're Italian-DESCENDED people who, in 95% of their lives, have adopted the WASP culture. Italian-Americans are Americans, and view themselves as Americans, not as Italians...and this is true of ALL immigrant groups, and has been, up until recent times.

The above is also true of Mexican-Americans. Thiose who've been here for some years, and have history here in the US, recognize immediately that they aren't REALLY Mexicans--their lifestyle and values are American. They think of themselves as Americans.

It's only very recently, and mostly among recent Mexican immigrants more than others, that the idea has risen that "I can live here, take advantage of the lifestyle, reap the benefits, enjoy the rights, etc.., but I don't HAVE to become an American. I'm a proud, loyal Mexican, and that will never change"...

Popular or not, this idea has NEVER worked in the past, when it was strongly discouraged, among ANY group of immigrants. Though it is now seen as "fashionable" and somewhat "forward-thinking", the fact is that it STILL can't work, particularly in a complex multi-ethnic society in which all we really have holding us together is our "commonality". Being an American takes a conscious decision--you have to "want" to do it. And if you don't want to, then you'll always be regarded as "different"...and, as such, as a competitor. You can't have it both ways. You can't emphasize your "differentness", and then complain that you're not accepted........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration