Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 AM

741 posts, read 764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Go figure.
I think you're making an apples-to-oranges reference. How many pets do you think are crossing the borders, flying or by land? There are approx. 70 million human visitors annually. The challenge of administering a health certificate program for that many people isn't practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 08:35 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
The irony is that pets traveling internationally cannot enter any country without a health certificate and all required shots.
That system is down pat and enforced.

Yet countries don't care about "Typhoid Mary/Joe" entering their country.

Go figure.
I've personally brought two dogs, at separate times, into the United States from Mexico. On the first one (our Golden Lab, who has recently passed away), the inspector (one of the most laid-back I have encountered) asked "Is that an American dog?". We told him the dog was as Mexican as my wife and kids, and he didn't check any further.

A few years later, we brought a female dog that was pregnant across. She sat quietly in the seat as we passed through the Port of Entry. Nothing was ever asked about her presence (animals in Mexico are treated as having the same level of rabies as in the United States). Are you just passing along stories from others, or what you thought the laws were?

That's ok, it happens when talking about people all the time here too...

Old 05-23-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not that big of a deal. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Why shouldn't our government accept the health certificates from another country? Are you suggesting that they would purposely lie about them? I suppose it's possible but I think you are grasping at straws here.
The medical clinics that operate for the purpose of checking potential IV applicants in Mexico have heavy oversight from the U.S. State Department - That's all they do (at its high points years ago, it was 800 to 1000 visas issued per day that wasn't a Mexican or American holiday). They also give drug tests, and check for any gang-related tattoos (only for IV-level immigrants, "non-immigrants" do not generally go through the process).

Old 05-23-2014, 09:14 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
The medical clinics that operate for the purpose of checking potential IV applicants in Mexico have heavy oversight from the U.S. State Department - That's all they do (at its high points years ago, it was 800 to 1000 visas issued per day that wasn't a Mexican or American holiday). They also give drug tests, and check for any gang-related tattoos (only for IV-level immigrants, "non-immigrants" do not generally go through the process).
How would you suggest that we avoid serious communicable deseases from any foreigner that enters our country if not with a health certificate that states they have none? Or do we just hope and pray that they don't and let em in anyway? If one knows they are going to visit our country they can prepare in advance for a health check. Are you suggesting that they be screened the same day that they plan on coming here? Of course that wouldn't make sense with 800 to 1000 visas issued per day.

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-23-2014 at 09:22 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Funny you should say that. Reading your comments in this conversation, I think you've made a sport of nit-picking things so small and making them appear as armageddon.

Buy a poppy to remember our vets, this weekend. A buck or two goes a long way!
You're not very observant then. There is one member in here who has nit-picked in here from day one and I have called him on it several times but then again he shares your political views so he will go unmentioned, right?

Oh, and just what things have "I" nit-picked on? I am a vet and what does your last sentence have to do with illegal immigration?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
I've personally brought two dogs, at separate times, into the United States from Mexico. On the first one (our Golden Lab, who has recently passed away), the inspector (one of the most laid-back I have encountered) asked "Is that an American dog?". We told him the dog was as Mexican as my wife and kids, and he didn't check any further.

A few years later, we brought a female dog that was pregnant across. She sat quietly in the seat as we passed through the Port of Entry. Nothing was ever asked about her presence (animals in Mexico are treated as having the same level of rabies as in the United States). Are you just passing along stories from others, or what you thought the laws were?

That's ok, it happens when talking about people all the time here too...
And that's our failed system at work. One is also supposed to have a pet health certificate if traveling interstate in the US as well.

At minimum the CDC requires proof of rabies shots for all "pets" entering the country and the rabies shots must have been given at least 30 days prior to US entry.

There are laws. They just aren't being enforced.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
How would you suggest that we avoid serious communicable deseases from any foreigner that enters our country if not with a health certificate that states they have none? Or do we just hope and pray that they don't and let em in anyway? If one knows they are going to visit our country they can prepare in advance for a health check. Are you suggesting that they be screened the same day that they plan on coming here? Of course that wouldn't make sense with 800 to 1000 visas issued per day.
That is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of non-immigrant traffic that crosses our borders every day. Note the focus is again only on certain countries we equate as being more "dirty" - At least even non-immigrant visa Border Crossing Cards are required to go into a U.S. Consulate to get them - Visa Waiver Program country citizens typically don't have to go into any U.S. facility (a visa isn't required) before traveling to the United States.

Why do you constrain it to "foreigners" - I can be a U.S. citizen that has been in another country long-term (I lived a year in countries with a higher prevalence of known pathogens) - and still be a vector for a disease...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
That is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of non-immigrant traffic that crosses our borders every day. Note the focus is again only on certain countries we equate as being more "dirty" - At least even non-immigrant visa Border Crossing Cards are required to go into a U.S. Consulate to get them - Visa Waiver Program country citizens typically don't have to go into any U.S. facility (a visa isn't required) before traveling to the United States.

Why do you constrain it to "foreigners" - I can be a U.S. citizen that has been in another country long-term (I lived a year in countries with a higher prevalence of known pathogens) - and still be a vector for a disease...
Who is focusing on certain countries without justification? Getting back on topic which is "illegal immigration" those from south of our border are here in the largest numbers illegally and many if not most of them come from squalid conditions. There are no health checks on them. Are you denying that also?

Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
And that's our failed system at work. One is also supposed to have a pet health certificate if traveling interstate in the US as well.

At minimum the CDC requires proof of rabies shots for all "pets" entering the country and the rabies shots must have been given at least 30 days prior to US entry.

There are laws. They just aren't being enforced.
Probably just being practical. When was the last time you heard of a "pet" with rabies that was able to kill a human being? - Now tell me if that "pet" was of foreign (or interstate) origins.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Who is focusing on certain countries without justification? Getting back on topic which is "illegal immigration" those from south of our border are here in the largest numbers illegally and many if not most of them come from squalid conditions. There are no health checks on them. Are you denying that also?
Those from Visa Waiver Program countries have much more higher entrance rates than illegal aliens - True health concerns involve everyone - not just by immigration status. You're being pedantic, the origins of disease vectors aren't only "foreign", much less from a particular class of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration