Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 10:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times

Advertisements

Packard Fan, Nothing but the immigration reform issue could possibly explain the Latino mass exodus of the GOP in 2012. The GOP has a low ceiling of electoral votes already, without getting extremely close to a split of this vote and they are toast for POTUS..every single time.

It truly matters squat what one feels about this issue..in terms of the undeniable electoral effects.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:42 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Packard Fan, Nothing but the immigration reform issue could possibly explain the Latino mass exodus of the GOP in 2012. The GOP has a low ceiling of electoral votes already, without getting extremely close to a split of this vote and they are toast for POTUS..every single time.

It truly matters squat what one feels about this issue..in terms of the undeniable electoral effects.
It's well known the "anglo white" people have a hammer lock on how election go on a nation wide level. If some "Hispanics" put "tribe" over the US; they really should think about LEAVING the US. Period. There are lots of LatAm countries to check out so they can keep their ways of life. I'd say the SAME things IF the Irish here want things in the US to roll back like in Ireland and I'm of Irish family.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I think the GOP is all talk when it comes to immigration reform. They don't want to touch it because it would split their party( again) , the ag industry likes things they way they are, and too many of them need the Hispanic vote. I am betting they will create this elaborate dance where the big ol mean president goes at it alone and they get left out of the process. They will then waste time every session voting to repeal something they think Obama pushed through like when he passed a Republican healthcare bill.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:25 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

It shouldn't be that way though. American-Latinos are just as obligated to respect our immigration laws and the enforcement of them just like any other American ethnic group in this country. Demanding amnesty for their ethnic group is not the American way. No one is above the law and amnesty would be bad for our country and its citizens collectively. It would be like me demanding amnesty for whites here illegally even though it would negatively impact our black, Hispanic citizens, etc.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:33 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
They have a hammer lock because Social conservs solidified the Blue Wall as blue-leaving the GOP NO POTUS margin for error. Even if they take every swing state (never happen) they barely surpass 270 ECs. If Dems take any 1 of largest 5 swing states, or 2 of the next smaller 5, they already surpass 270.

This is a math issue. Now if a conserve says "I'll look POTUS every time, live with the results such as ACA, but want mass deportations, though I'd find the position laughable, at least it is logical. Cause you can't have the last part w/o ceding POTUS.

BTW, W understand the math..courted the Latino vote..unlike the hard-liners in his party who are on a POTUS suicide mission.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:43 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
They have a hammer lock because Social conservs solidified the Blue Wall as blue-leaving the GOP NO POTUS margin for error. Even if they take every swing state (never happen) they barely surpass 270 ECs. If Dems take any 1 of largest 5 swing states, or 2 of the next smaller 5, they already surpass 270.

This is a math issue. Now if a conserve says "I'll look POTUS every time, live with the results such as ACA, but want mass deportations, though I'd find the position laughable, at least it is logical. Cause you can't have the last part w/o ceding POTUS.

BTW, W understand the math..courted the Latino vote..unlike the hard-liners in his party who are on a POTUS suicide mission.
Uh; many people wrote off the Repubs and, we all know what happened last week with the mid terms.

Old 11-16-2014, 07:57 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

But what you are saying is that a party has to thumb their noses at our immigration laws in order to court the Latino vote. That's just not the American way. Hard liners? Enforcement of our immigration laws and not desiring another failed amnesty is being a hard liner? To my knowledge no GOPer has advocated for mass deportations. If we remove the incentives for them to remain here and continue to come here many if not most will leave on their own.

Old 11-16-2014, 08:52 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Honestly, as a democrat, I hope obama doesn't do this. The country is so divided over this that a single person should not decide the outcome....president or not.
Even if the country was unified behind this issue, Obama should not be doing this. We have three branches of government for a reason. The fact that this president is trying to work around a system that was developed at the founding of this country and that was specifically developed so one one person would have too much power, is a scary thing to me.

There are endless examples over history and throughout the world of what happens when one person has too much power. There are endless examples over recent history in this country of how easy it becomes for government to justify unconstitutional actions - for the greater good, to keep us safe, to gather terrorist information.

I am not saying this because we're talking about Obama. Unchecked power - the will go "go it alone" - the will to take unilateral action despite the American people being against it - scares the crap out of me. I am a student of history. Everyone should be a student of history. And anyone that says "that can't happen in the United States of America" is fooling themselves.

10 years ago did you ever think that the feds would be patting down your five year old little girl at the airport? 10 years ago did you ever think that the feds would be using communications organizations (Verizon to get your cell phone records), social media organizations (Facebook to get your pages and passwords), business organizations (Target to get your credit card info and Yahoo to get your email passwords) to learn everything about you aside from how often you go to the bathroom? 10 years ago did you ever think that the feds would use one of their own agences against activist organizations with which they disagree? Or that they would use drones to listen in on your cell phone conversations? Or that the media would emotionally invest so much in a political candidate that they would not do their job, which is ultimately to act as watchdogs on behalf of the American people?

You're right. It is a divisive issue. The Amercan people are against amnesty. Obama has no authority to go it alone. He has not even TRIED to make a case to the American people that is believable and pursuasive (because there IS no case to be made - there is no compelling reason why this should happen and so pols like the one above from Florida appeal to compassion instead of need and logic).

And going it alone and before a new Congress is even voted in sends a clear message to the newbies on the hill that this president has no intention of trying to work with them. He has screwed THAT pooch before it even got off the ground.

Last edited by juneaubound; 11-16-2014 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default Let us no get side tracked.

Most people law abiding citizens want out border secured and Illegals deport as quickly s possible. The New congress is very aware of this.

Plus most do not want to reward generational illegal migration.

Is there common ground not really. The Only real answer is to sweep these people out and then we can start with a new policy.

Could you Imagine Sweeping LA County in California? the Quality of life for real Californians would improve and LA , its self.?

Its hard, but these Illegal choose this path and the willfully are breaking the law every day they are on US Soil.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:15 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
[quote=bobtn;37279711]Diaz-Balart seems to have wisely studies the demographic breakdown of recent elections, and population growth patterns.

Now, if you prefer, the GOP can simply concede POTUS races for as far as the eye can see. In 2016, Latinos will comprise a bigger portion of the electorate than 2012, and in 2012, they gave Obama a 5 million vote margin![/quot
That has been the Democrats plan for decades in Texas. I think its pretty racist for democrats to believe all races vote for their self interest only. The fact that its has come about shows that voting isn't a race issue to most. But then if Democrats leadership believed that then they would have passed immigration reform in first two years when they could have; which didn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration