Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 03:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Acknowledgement is the first step toward resolution of any conflict. Denial will accomplish nothing. This problem will only worsen with each illegal alien incursion; and gang activity is merely a "symptom" of the conflict. However, I realize we will simply have to agree to disagree.

Illegal Immigrants Test Judicial System; increase racial tension :: WRAL.com

Can Obama Win Latino Vote? | Newsweek Politics: Campaign 2008 | Newsweek.com

SPLCenter.org: The Rift

Racial Tensions between Blacks & Mexicans in Los Angeles are growing

Benicar, really, are not most of the perps of both races gang bangers?
Am I wrong when I say normal people who are Latino or Black aren't actually forming groups to go out and kill people of the other race?

Well, you actually don't seem to want to acknowledge that there are Blacks who have killed Mexicans, and seem convinced that Blacks are the only victims of this tension. But it's gone both ways.

There are tens of thousands of Latino gangmembers in Los Angeles. If there was really an agenda to "ethnic cleanse" the city of Blacks, you'd end up with a lot more than a few scattered cases of interracial murders. There would be a whole lot more dead Black people.

The tension is there, but it is not as explosive as it is being made out to be. As far as violence towards Blacks, Latinos arent the Black community's worst enemy. Blacks are the Black community's worst enemy.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:41 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
. Blacks are the Black community's worst enemy.

Interesting point. Do you see any parallels with any other groups, whose members are their own worst enemies?

Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Interesting point. Do you see any parallels with any other groups, whose members are their own worst enemies?
As far as violence which I was discussing? Yeah, Mexicans kill Mexicans more than any other group. But do we cry racism and ethnic cleansing when Mexican babies are killed by Black gangbangers?

Or do you mean to deny any racism or discrimination directed at Latinos (sometimes even those few who are actually white!) by Americans? And that all of our problems are our own fault?

Old 06-29-2008, 05:05 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Am I wrong when I say normal people who are Latino or Black aren't actually forming groups to go out and kill people of the other race?

Well, you actually don't seem to want to acknowledge that there are Blacks who have killed Mexicans, and seem convinced that Blacks are the only victims of this tension. But it's gone both ways.

There are tens of thousands of Latino gangmembers in Los Angeles. If there was really an agenda to "ethnic cleanse" the city of Blacks, you'd end up with a lot more than a few scattered cases of interracial murders. There would be a whole lot more dead Black people.

The tension is there, but it is not as explosive as it is being made out to be. As far as violence towards Blacks, Latinos arent the Black community's worst enemy. Blacks are the Black community's worst enemy.
Please indicate a post where I have stated that blacks do not kill or harm Mexicans. You seem to be fixated on this; and it’s becoming somewhat annoying. I have no problem defending my comments; but as I’ve mentioned previously, I will not attempt to defend your figment of imagination. I’ll debate you all day as long as the discussion is civil, and we can relate on an honest basis.

For the last time, violence is perpetrated by Mexicans and Blacks. The point is…..they are killing each other, and I don’t consider this acceptable behavior, nor conducive to a unified America; whether gang-related or not…..period.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Or do you mean to deny any racism or discrimination directed at Latinos (sometimes even those few who are actually white!) by Americans? And that all of our problems are our own fault?
Part of the theory behind living in a free society is that most of a person's problems are his own fault. It's not always ideal, but if we're all responsible citizens, then how we deal with life strongly affects what we get out of it. Theoretically, if you're an adult, then your problems are "your fault". If you're a child, most of your problems are your PARENT'S fault. That's the theory, at least.

Maybe our disagreement is in the meaning of 'fault' itself. Some of society's highest achievers (yes, some of those groups who 'commit suicide when they get a B in college) are people who do VERY well, yet are continuously pushing themselves to succeed, because the slightest 'setback', they see as a failure, or "their fault".

On the other hand, our jails are full of people who bear no fault at ALL for anything they've ever done. THeir problems are the fault of their teachers, the cops, the judges, their rival gangs, 'whitey', the 'system', and the 'guy who wrote the history books'. EVERYBODY'S at fault but them.

A university study some years back found that surprisingly, the 'self-esteem' of the "A" students was always in a precarious spot...they could easily 'beat up on themselves' for less-than-perfect performance...yet the 'gang-bangers' who spent most of their time in the Principal's Office had very HIGH self-esteem. They were perfectly "OK"..it was their teachers who were 'screwed up", they felt.

So much for the theory that 'gang-bangers have low self-esteem'. Seems to fit in, too, with 'fault-finding'.

Last edited by macmeal; 06-29-2008 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-29-2008, 05:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
As far as violence which I was discussing? Yeah, Mexicans kill Mexicans more than any other group. But do we cry racism and ethnic cleansing when Mexican babies are killed by Black gangbangers?

You may want to check the actual census. According to census data, only 3% of "Hispanics" did NOT consider themselves to be White.

I agree 100% with macmeal's eloquent assessment of "fault."

Old 06-29-2008, 06:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
...In my neighborhood watch here in Los Angeles, I deal with so many people who weren't born in this country. They have a difficult time understanding the American notion of working together with "strangers" in order to improve the lot of everyone. Even enlightened self-interest, that helping everyone around them for a particular civic project helps themselves in the process, needs to be explained. Their attitudes vary from distrust (to hatred) of anyone outside their extended family/country of origin to, fortunately, occasional curiosity about how to be pro-active in a genuine democracy.

I therefore am not surprised at socio-economic evolution (or devolution) in my native Los Angeles, where foreign born populaces think it "normal" for bad situations to get worse insofar as the downward cycle more resembles their countries of origin. Our African-American populations are Americans, and grounded in our traditions of democracy...
Benicar, thanks for your links, which reminded me of the universally well-regarded Mayor Bradley era in Los Angeles. Bradley continually demonstrated that he was for all Americans, and all legal L.A. citizens: this is why our African-American mayor was both popular and effective.

In glaring contrast, current Mayor Villaraigosa panders to illegals by claiming these lawbreakers as constituents, (is our prison population considered constituents?) and forever conjoining illegals to legal hispanic populations as inseparable, which I believe is a travesty to the latter. This then drives policy matters to the detriment of all Los Angeles; i.e., the recent surrender to developers with loopholes to get around density restrictions (which aids illegals crowding en masse in sublets from legal relatives or acquaintances) etc.

Villaraigosa will happily lead the downward spiral to which I referred above because complacency or outright corruption is expected in his "constituency" of foreign nationals.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
In glaring contrast, current Mayor Villaraigosa panders to illegals by claiming these lawbreakers as constituents, (is our prison population considered constituents?) and forever conjoining illegals to legal hispanic populations as inseparable, which I believe is a travesty to the latter.
Villaraigosa will happily lead the downward spiral to which I referred above because complacency or outright corruption is expected in his "constituency" of foreign nationals.
Not only does he "pander" to illegals....he even has publically claimed to be working alongside them (i.e. "We Clean Your Toilets" ...April, 2006))......shameful, and a lie. My guess is that Mayor Villaraigosa doesn't clean ANYONE'S toilet.....certainly not "ours", and probably not even HIS.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:47 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,870,409 times
Quote:

Gang violence and poverty is the community's worst enemy.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:50 PM

243 posts, read 86,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
Gang violence and poverty is the community's worst enemy.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration